hello to all

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
clothear wrote
on 1 May 2009 3:36 PM

Hello everyone I'm Monica a long time reader of QA and accumulator of "stuff" to make some of the exciting projects from the mag.

I am sending this from my RV in Bakersfield CA.  This is our 8th day on the road and we are having fun.  Yesterday i found a bead shop that sold cabochons enabling my latest obsessions,  bead embroidery, having discovered Sherri Serrafini and Heidi Kummli's book.  Beads are easier to work with on the road than fabric.  Also have my journal and just managed to fill in on the coastal plain winery trip( what I remember, oh this was done in the tow not the RV).    It will probably take a long time for me to work with the beabd embroidery as playing with color and shine is so different than designing with fabric.  Most od the jewelry I make is based on fabric.  Sometime it works other not.  So on with the learning

Monica on the road.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 1 May 2009 3:41 PM

Welcome Monica!  How great that you are on the road and still able to check on the QA site!  You'll have to post some pictures of your bead embroidery!

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MarshaM@4 wrote
on 1 May 2009 6:15 PM

Hey Monica,

If you are into bead embroidery you must get the book Bead Creative Like Crazy by Nancy Eha,  It is wonderful.   I just love how the beads can transform a blah piece of fabic into something wonderful.   Then of course once I started bead embroidery I started making jewlery.   I really do not need anymore hobbies LOL.   Have fun on your trip!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Nancylaurel wrote
on 2 May 2009 6:12 AM

Hi Monica,

What fun you must have had on your trip.  Using beads with embroidery sounds great.  I use beads and other items (mostly found) in my work.  I like to make pictures using fabric and other items such as beads.  I am anxious to learn new techniques and ways of creative cloth art.  We have a shrimp festival going on now in the town I live in (Fernandina Beach, FL).   I am getting a lot of inspiration from what is going on during the festival.  We had a parade yesterday and today there will be a huge arts and crafts display.  I am hoping to see some wonderfully creative work  from jewelery to fabric art.  I have also made a lot of unique, one of a kind dolls as well as costumes for my granddaughters.  Like you say, "On with the learning."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 3 May 2009 8:22 AM

Hi, Monica.  Another great book for beadrs is "Beading on Fabric Encyclopedia of bead stitch techniques" by Larkin Jean Van Horn pub. 2006 by  Interweave Pressorn.  It helped me a lot with getting my bead designs to look good on fabric.....Jim D 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
HerGram wrote
on 3 May 2009 1:37 PM

Hello Monica,

We stayed a couple of months in Bakersfield in our motorhome about 10 years ago. I loved it. We were there in the spring, like you, and the weather was so wonderful - none of the humidity I have to deal with here at home here in Missouri. And the shops and the coastal day trips - oh, we had lots of fun.

I just took a class from Linda Potter who wrote Quilt and Embellish in One Step and altho I didn't enjoy her technique in particular, I did get some ideas on how to use beads on my wall hangings. (And had a mini-trunk show of her work, which is fab.) She recommended a thread called Silamide for beading on the quilts. I haven't found it locally so will have to order it.  Any comments?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
clothear wrote
on 3 May 2009 2:58 PM

It is just great finding others who share my passions.

I canot reply to all of your emails due to some tech detail that eludes me.   Thanks for all your welcomes and information.  I am not doing the kind of embroidery that Nancy talks about or Larkin.  It is jewelry like this http://www.serafinibeadedjewelry.com/kits.html    (of course mine is nothing this good)

I use fireline 8 lb (3 lb. Test Dia  .18mm)  in smoke or crystaline.  I buy it at Bass fishing stores.  I do not like Silamide and bought lots of it after a class with Nancy.  I found it frayed and was hard to thread.  I can thread a  #10 or #12 needle even when the RV is moving with Fireline.  I am not expecting my stuff to last for posterity so what i use is based on what  is available in Kerrville TX where I live and WalMart carries fireline as do fishing shops. My creations are for me and sometime gifts for friend.   My seed beads were bought from Beyond Beadary, a vendor, who is always at the Houston Show during my annual pilgrimage.  in Bakersfield I found 2 bead shops and bought more size 8 and size 11 beads   as well as some cabochons nothing fancy just agites, a common rock. From my crazy quilt days I accumulated odd sizes and colors of beads and never have enough to make things in Beadwork or Bead & Button.  Robin Atkins is another beader highly regarded in the bead world and a really interesting woman.  http://www.robinatkins.com/index.html

Since this is a QA forum I should add that quilt related I am currently in a "sloshing paint around mode" a la  the Kemshalls when at home.  

here is my blog with a photo of my only embroidery with beads; my other beadwork is on the blog somewhere.

Monica 

http://materialmedia.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS