Sketching

This post has 3 Replies | 12 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
cele44 wrote
on 26 May 2012 3:42 PM

I have a lot of ideas but have trouble getting them from my head to the sketching stage. Any suggestions?

Cecelia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 26 May 2012 11:36 PM

hi cecelia

when i am first working on an idea, i start with small sketches. sometimes as many as 4 to a regular sheet of paper. just to start working on orientation and composition; to see how things are gonna relate to each other. keeping it small lets me to work thru several variations of the idea quickly. i do very minimal (or no) erasing. just rough sketch to start with.

i also usually make a list at the same time - writing down as much info as i have (sometimes a lot - i almost know what it all looks like.

sometimes just a few words -when  i am still working on most of the ideas.)             

i also start to pull fabrics that i think will work. and thread/yarn/fiber..............................  they can help solidify the ideas.

as i get a better idea of where it is going - i will sketch bigger - using a whole piece of paper - as it gets closer to an almost finished design idea.              if i know where a certain fabric will go - i will glue a small piece to the sketch, or just write in a note. i also write in other notes ; such as methods i want to use; colors and values; meaning of the work and components. all of these help me to get closer to a more final mental picture of what the piece will look like; and that lets me keep getting the sketch closer to the final drawing.

i don't get big with the design until i am pretty close to the final draft - drawing big takes a lot more time, so i wait until i have worked out most of the idea on little sketches, and then start working bigger.

this is just what works for me.                     i tend to go through lots of paper in the beginning stages - so i save junk mail that has writing on only one side, and use the other side to make my little sketches.    then as i get closer to a final sketch, i will draw onto new paper.

i also use lots of tracing paper.  if i am starting to work on a bigger size sketch of the work, i don't always have to redraw the whole thing. so if i am working on a dragon, i will draw several different heads - and then keep my favorite. i will do the same thing for the body and then the tail and then the wings........................     i can draw several wings on tracing paper and lay them on top of the head/body and keep redrawing just the wing until it is right.     i don't want to have to redraw everything just to change the angle of the wing; or convert from 5 to 4 toes. just redraw that small part and lay it over the existing good parts.  and just fold it and tape it into position.

these are just what works for me. i am sure others will have some good working ideas as well.                        ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cele44 wrote
on 27 May 2012 4:07 AM

Thanks so much.  Can't wait to start.  Use of tracing paper willbe so helpful I believe.

Cecelia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 28 May 2012 4:04 AM

hi cecelia

what are you working on right now??

the other thing that helps me a lot, when i have sort of an idea, but have not worked out all the details - is find someone to bounce ideas off of.

often, just the act of talking about the idea will help solidify the details and give me a much clearer mental picture of where the quilt is going. and that clear mental picture makes sketching and getting to work much easier .

it does not have to be another artist(although that is nice),  it just needs to be someone who will listen, think, and discuss ideas, methods, colors....... with you.     i have several quilty friends who will do that with me. getting together for lunch and each of us bringing our ideas along is a funa nd productive way to spend a couple of hours. i bring pictures of anything that helps show the idea, my sketch book, and fabric swatches i have, and we just sit and drink iced tea and talk about ideas. beneficial for both of us.

i always leave with a clearer idea of where the project is headed - and that seems to make the work go real fast.

ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS