Crazy Quilting Quilters

This post has 13 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
kat41 wrote
on 1 May 2009 6:15 PM

Hello from AZ

I noticed no one had posted to this group and wondered if there is anyone that does Crazy Quilting and have you used your art, crazy quilting,  in combination with other media.  By this I mean other than crazy quilts and pillows.

If so could you share?

Thanks,

Kat in AZ

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 2 May 2009 4:22 AM

Hi Kat, I used Crazy quilting in a skirt. It is on my website. It is a black velvet skirt, with CQ inserts in the side and back kick pleats. also appliqued to the skirt surface as if the pleat were turned back...so to speak. There is a little pocket, too.

I keep meaning to make  a jacket or waistcoat to go with this, but I did it my first year doing City and Guilds:Fashion! So, life has sort of snowballed from there. and... ahem...for a while now it hasn't fit! but I recently lost weight, so I should dig it out again.

What kind of idea were you thinking of? I did a CQ round robin one time where loads of the ladies were having the front of a waistcoat done in CQ.

Sandy in the UK

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
kat41 wrote
on 2 May 2009 5:12 AM

Hi Sandy, thanks for responding. 

Got a look at your skirt and I liked what you did with your skirt. 

Got a look at your complete site and was just floored with what you have done with art and clothing!  Congratulations on many beautiful pieces, not to mention the awards.

My mind is seeing a jacket in soft creams, mint, and cotton candy pink.  Very Victorian I guess.    I keep thinking that with that type of garment it would only be for show, not for wearing.  Pretty tailored and close fitting.  Definitely not a large size garment.  Guess I will keep sketching and adding to the dream. 

Currently I am working on embellishing a lab coat I wear to do my art work.  I would like it to be my quilting/art jacket for guild meetings and workshops and such.   Will see how that turns out. 

I just keep thinking that there are not enough hours in the day to do what I want to do. 

Thanks again,

Keep in touch

Kat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 2 May 2009 7:42 AM

No harm on dreaming is there! but no harm in making something for show. And if you make it to fit, then you have to discover an occasion to wear it to!! I think the colours you are talking about sound wonderful. When you do find enough hours in the day (share them with me!) I am sure you will get loads of compliments on the outfit.

Your Artist coat sounds like an excellent idea!

I talked to Pokey and she is going to make a wearable art forum. As you develop the artist coat, maybe you can post about it there.

Take care,

Sandy in the UK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 2 May 2009 1:42 PM

Hi, Kat.  Have you ever considered making snap on attachments for your garments out of CQ?  You can make CQ collars and arm patches that simply snap on to your garment with tiny snaps,  The CQ pieces would have to be lined, but you could embroider and embelish them to your hearts delight.  You could also CQ a wrap that is just a little more than a collar and could actually travel down the front of a jacket.  You may have seen this done with felt.  Welt felting designs are readily attached to a garment with snaps, Why not CQ?  Sincerely....Jim D, The Needler    

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
kat41 wrote
on 2 May 2009 8:32 PM

Jim,

Thank you for the suggestion.  You have given me another avenue to explor and experiment with!

Kat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 2 May 2009 8:42 PM

That's the beauty of a forum like this, the fast exchange of ideas that help all of us grow......Jim D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
geniebird wrote
on 11 May 2009 10:11 AM

I can't show a photo because this one is going in a show, but I recently did an art piece that I'm calling "The world's gone crazy, but I'm okay."   Not your Grandma's crazy quilt.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
Dawn G. wrote
on 11 May 2009 5:16 PM

Hi Kat,

I painted a portrait  with Tsukeniko inks and framed it with crazy quilting for a wall hanging.  The portrait is the little photo that shows up next to my name.  I will try to post a photo of the whole quilt.

- Dawn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
kat41 wrote
on 11 May 2009 6:09 PM

Hi Dawn,

Could not quite make out the crazy quilting, but I do have a question on how and what you used to apply the Tsukeniko inks.    I will look for the picture of the whole quilt.  Thanks!

Kat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
Dawn G. wrote
on 11 May 2009 9:09 PM

Kat,  I used the Fatastix that are sold with the inks.  The whole photo is up on my page now.  I finally figured it out!  Yeah!

- Dawn

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Dean5 wrote
on 10 Jun 2009 5:21 PM

Kat,  I make a lot of crazy quilts and I have done everything to embellish them.  I have painted on them, done all kinds of stitching, sewn on everything  small enough to fit.  I texture fabric, use all kinds of fibers, jewelry, keepsakes.  CQ's are a great place to put things you want to keep but don't really have a place for.  Just enjoy making your quilt, that is the important thing.  Dean

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
kat41 wrote
on 10 Jun 2009 8:51 PM

Dean,

Thank you for sharing your comments with me.  Do you do most of your CQ's by machine or hand or possibly both?

Would love to see some of your work.

And yes you are correct, the enjoyment of making the piece is very important.

Kat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 10:46 AM

Kat

I love crazy quilting, that's what got me into quilting.  I have made one wall hanging and a pillow that was used in my wedding.  Since then the only think I have used it on is purses.  I've made probably 6 purses.  They are a lot of fun and look real nice, too.

Caren

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS