Need a new iron - any suggestions?

This post has 8 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 14 Jun 2012 12:46 PM

Does anyone have any iron recommendations?  I need a new one and would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

Sally

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 15 Jun 2012 8:29 AM

I have a Rowenta that I love that is very heavy and presses very well.  I don't like the automatic timer since I am usually coming back to the iron right after it turns off.

I have used an Oliso iron at a friends house and I love that it lifts automatically and you don't have to turn it upright all the time!  Greta iron, but very expensive!

Hope this helps.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 15 Jun 2012 8:26 PM

That is helpful - I'll check out both.  Thanks for your help :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 4 Jul 2012 7:46 PM

hi sally

you have probably already purchased a new iron. but if not here goes:

rowenta are nice, but expensive, and very HEAVY. so if your pocket book is full, and your hands and arms are strong, they work.

if you have any strength issues with your hands or arms, a lighter weight iron will be much more user friendly. and much less expensive.

i use an iron, often. i am very hard on irons. they  wear out every few years - regardless of how much they cost. i also use lots of fusibles, and work with angelina often - so i like the teflon coated surfaces.        after 20 years of quilt making, i don't buy the expensive, gotta have it, brand anymore. they don't work as well for me. i am gonna have to replace them every few years anyway. so i find a lighteight, teflon coated iron, and that makes it much easier on both the wallet and the hands.                    ckquilter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 5 Jul 2012 9:52 AM

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  I actually ended up getting an old-fashioned "dry" iron that was recommended by Lesley Riley in her art transfer book.  I found it on Amazon and it was very inexpensive - so far it's working great - I'm very happy with it. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 26 Jul 2012 7:27 AM

Has anyone tried the Durathon Iron (made by Hamilton Beach)? I have one and it is great! Lower priced than the Rowenta but very nice to use. Lots of steam (also can be used dry).

The soleplate has a special non-stick coating - it is very smooth

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 2 Aug 2012 10:53 AM

Hi Sally:  I had a lovely Rowenta, but then it started to leak and the leak became a fountain.  After researching Rowenta irons, I find that this is a problem that seems pretty common, which is unfortunate as this iron was wonderful in every other way. So, after trying out several I finally settled on a Panasonic (yes, I know....they make irons??) 360 degree iron.  It looks very futuristic, but the price was right (under $100) and as it turns out, I love it! It has all the power of the Rowenta without the added water feature! It's light, which I didn't want in an iron originally, but it's extremely efficient at eliminating wrinkles in everything - and I iron sheets! I can't say enough good things about this little gem and as I stated already, I would have never know that Panasonic made irons. I bought it at Home Outfitters.  Hope this is not too late to be of use to you....Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 11:19 AM

Hi Donna - Thanks very much for your recommendation.  I did buy the Dry Iron that works great with TAP but I decided to get another one for all of my other ironing needs.  This seems like a great option - $40 on Amazon so I'm going to go for it.  Your input was very helpful :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on 6 Aug 2012 5:40 AM

Hi, I too like a very light weight iron. Currently I am using a travel iron that gets real hot. But I like it that way, nice and hot. Just like my men.

Sorana Gallery

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS