digital mags for i-pad only??

This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
CarolineA wrote
on 13 Jul 2012 2:54 AM

I went to grab the latest version of In Stitches to find its only available for i-Pad, grrrr! Buying an i-Pad to read a few magazines is not in my future any time soon, and probably never will be, as there are better options out there for portable e-reading without having to worry about being mugged for a fashion item. What about those of us on Macs, and  PCs, or who have Android tablets?

The i-Pad is a passing fad and not an option for many Quilting Daily members; this is a policy that will cost money in the end as people look for alternative magazines from other publishers that can be read on the many different tablet PCs now on the market as well as regular computers.

This is the second magazine I have wanted to download in a month, and haven't because there is no PC version. This is not how to build up a loyal following or even catch the impulse buyer, and you are not going to reach a vast new market.  i-Pad devotees are generally more interested in who said what on FB than how to make lace with a sewing machine. They live in the here and now and want instant results, so aiming art and craft magazines is a bit of a waste of time because they do require the practitioner to learn a few basic skills.

The i-Pad 3 has already been superseded by the latest Android tablets. Which are half its price. and don't limit you to having to buy things from the app store. This would seem to be rather a short-sighted policy that will not increase goodwill, but will certainly antagonise many of your customers. If you transfer all your e-mags to i-Pad format only, you will be alienating a large part of your current market.

Unless Apple is paying you to do this?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RaeVivienne wrote
on 22 Jul 2012 3:08 AM

I agree, CarolineA.  I have been downloading workshops, magazines  etc but the whole thing seems to be getting ridiculous and does not really save any cost in the end.  I love art quilting and like to know what's worth doing, but I am also 75 with active grandchildren and the rest of life  to deal with, and I have neither time nor mental energy to weave my way through all the hardware, software, jargon and constantly changing systems that are flooding out of QA and other publications.

I have just wasted half an afternoon trying to understand a subscription site (not QA or any Interweave site) which keeps telling me on the same message that my subscription is active and that it expired in 2011.  If this was a toaster, the kitchen would be full of smoke by now.

The IT world seems to have its foot in its mouth half of the time - I am going to spend my time on the sewing machine in future and leave the bells and whistles to others who would rather have their fingers on buttons than on fabric.

Signed:  Cranky Grandma

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
CarolineA wrote
on 22 Jul 2012 5:57 AM

I have contacted Interweave, and it would appear that the I-pad is the be all and end all, despite it not being compatible with anything else on the market,not even another Mac computer! At least the other tablets support the same programs that a regular IBM and Mac computer does, and easily run on Linux. It would seem business at Interweave is more about the shareholders profit than loyal customers. Fortunately there are UK magazines and other US magazines that are not published by Interweave, and hopefully they will take a less narrow view of how they cater to the art quilt and mixed media community and jump at the opportunity to fill the gap that Interweave is leaving.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 23 Jul 2012 9:00 PM

I am not only disappointed that the emag is available only for IPads, but also that NO ONE from Interweave has had the courtesy to reply to these posts.

I have no intention of buying an Ipad, smartphone or any other electronic gadget any time soon. We have two IMacs (one of which is bootcamped - so it  runs Windows7 and Office Professional 2010) and a MacBook.

INTERWEAVE - WAKE UP!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
CarolineA wrote
on 23 Jul 2012 10:43 PM

I did contact customer support and it was a standard answer that did not really answer the question. The only way around this is for enough of us to protest to Interweave and perhaps get them to rethink. Since small privately published mags can produce two different formats that cover all computers,e-readers and tablets, this smacks of getting a better return for the shareholders by making it exclusive to Apple, than spending a few extra dollars to keep loyal customers happy and publish in two different formats.

Apparently they are trying to attract a new demographic of users. I also have no plans for an I-pad or I-Phone in my future. They are overpriced and do not do what they are supposed to do here in Australia - Apple copped a hefty fine for misleading the public recently. Forcing loyal customers to buy a piece of expensive hardware that will be out of date next month is not the way to retain those customers.

Wake up Interweave! There is life outside of the i-pad

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
CarolineA wrote
on 24 Jul 2012 8:21 PM

Good news from the Sew Daily community:

Dear Caroline A,

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that due to overwhelming demand from desktop app readers, we’ve decided to release our eMags again for desktop. The release schedule is not yet available, so please stay tuned!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 24 Jul 2012 11:08 PM

I hope that works for both Macs and PCs. Very, very disappointed with Interweave.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 24 Jul 2012 11:13 PM

PS - to Interweave:

The sooner you get this straightened out, the sooner you get more subscriptions - ooops I meant $$$

TADA / BC

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
Cate Prato wrote
on 25 Jul 2012 10:40 AM

We are thrilled to announce that because of the passionate response from fans of our desktop eMags, we will be reversing our decision to publish our eMags exclusively on the iPad and will be releasing them once again for the desktop PC and MAC viewing experiences. Additionally, we're going to go back and retroactively developing desktop versions of the eMags we released as iPad-only earlier this year, which includes Lace Knits, Surface Explorations, and Quilting Arts in Stitches Volume 7 and Collage in Color II. We will let you know as soon as these new products are available through InterweaveStore.com.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 12:26 PM

Yay!  Thanks Cate!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sanyara wrote
on 5 Aug 2012 1:46 PM

Thanks to everyone else who read my mind & were quicker off the mark to write in.... and thank goodness the volume of complaints has had Interweave seeing sense on this one! yes, we have one iPad in the house, but it's always going to be in use for some other purpose (or is on the train with my commuting husband) when I want to look at my In Stitches, as opposed to my own personal Mac which has the previous 6 issues of In Stitches plus my Quilting Arts subscription to hand on the desktop.... & woe betide anyone who touches my own personal Mac!  I might eventually get my own iPad, but it comes a long long way down the list of I Wants - replacing my sewing machine & overlocker definitely took priority this year.  And think how much fabric you could get for the price of an iPad.....

Not Ranked
Posts 5
parevest wrote
on 12 Aug 2012 12:53 PM

Thank you for this. Although I have an iPad I always buy the PC products as it seems to be a more durable system

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS