Themed Garments

This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 2 May 2009 7:57 AM

I thought it would be fun to talk about themed garments. The Bernina Fashion show is finished, but it is always fun to do garments to a theme. They can be the type that take 6 or more months to make like the Bernina ones, or they can be a little less intense.

Here is a link to a themed garment I did. It is based on WWII and "Make Do and Mend".  I called it "Make Do in WWII"   I "pretended" I was in WWII and only had an inherited tablecloth to amke a suit from. However, it was made from linen which I then sewed satinstitch scallops round the edges.

Any other themed garments out there?

Sandy in the UK

Not Ranked
Posts 3
crashnquilt wrote
on 2 May 2009 8:16 AM

Beautiful suit!  You do wonderful work!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 10 May 2009 8:04 AM

I put a themed jacket up on my BIO page.  Quilting Angels are what I call my muse.  I made several small quilts at whim and put them together into a jacket.  I used Jim Shore's Christmas angel fabric as the lining and inspiration.  They looked like quilting angels to me because they all were wearing patchwork dresses.  Not fancy and chic but very me in this time of life. I gave away all my business suits and formal clothes when I moved to the island.   Mostly I am an art quilter.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 10 May 2009 2:43 PM

Hi Whidbey,

I like the idea of a lining that bucks you up when you are giving presentations. I do things like that. I black velvet skirt with a purple lining! Or a blue wool skirt with a jazzy blue patterned lining (sort of what you might find on the inside of a shyster's coat jacket...but not as bad, really.!) LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Sandy in the UK

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
claynfiber wrote
on 11 May 2009 4:40 PM

I like this topic! Great themed suit Sandy, complete with hat!

And what a beautiful jacket Whidby!

Looking forward to seeing more art clothes!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
geniebird wrote
on 1 Jun 2009 5:22 AM

Sandy, I love the suit!  The classic design is something that is still fashionable today.  And the hat is the perfect extra touch.

I have a bunch of flour sacks -- plain muslin with the mill logo printed on them that I've been hanging on to for a while.  Every so often I pull them out and try to figure out what to do with them, but they always end up going back in the box.  What I would really like to do is make a jacket with a flour/bread theme to honor my home state and the other "wheat states."  Funny thing is don't eat wheat -- haven't for years. 

Maybe one of these days I'll get those things out and end up actually making something rather than just putting them back in the box.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 1 Jun 2009 6:54 AM

Hi geniebird,

You didn' t mention where you live now so I am not sure if this is appropriate but this is what I do quite often and get tons of complements on yet it is quick and easy.  I recycle old denim jackets by sewing fabrics over various sections.  For instance down the front panels and on the large back panel.  If it is a man's jacket I cut off the sleeves and add colorful cuffs.  It seems like a perfect solution to showing off the logos printed on th flour sacks.  I make very time consuming and intricate quilts but I get stopped on the street and get more complements on my jackets from both women and men.  It just seems like a perfect fast project for flour sacks with logos especially if you are in Jean's country.  Hint:  lay the jacket section out flat, :Lay the fabric on top and adjust till you have the placement right. Use a sylus or your finger nail to run around the inside of the existing seam that will give you the folding marks exactly.  Fold, trim, Iron and sew it down with a simple straight stitch with a zipper foot along the existing seam.  sometimes I quilt it a bit sometimes I use an iron on adhisive and sometimes I just leave it if the fabric is heavy enough like denim.  You could go fancy if you want but that is all it takes and it works like a charm.  Happy sewing.

Whidbey

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
geniebird wrote
on 1 Jun 2009 9:22 AM

Thanks Whidbey. I'd like to make a new garment from scratch for this.  I'll probably keep thinking about this for awhile, but I do actually have a few ideas running around in my head this time.  Before, I've never even gotten that far.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
mary j3 wrote
on 3 Jun 2009 11:11 PM

Oh my geniebird! LOL when I read about your floursacks for a garment. My mother and grandmother (great depression survivors) used floursacks for kitchen towels and tada-drumroll, SOFT UNDERWEAR. My underpants in kindergarden had White Swan Flour stamped on the seat.  Now I really don't suggest that as your project, nor for a creative fabric fashion show!!! I just couldn't help commenting when I read that you had floursacks. still chuckling about that.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS