Refashioning garments

This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 2 May 2009 8:21 AM

There is a new trend for buying up charity shop garments (or even sheets and curtains!) and refashioning them into quite trendy garments. There is a cool website set up by a lady in Australia where some refashioner's attempts are being posted. Wardrobe Refashioned It is actually getting people sewing. It started with the blog.

I think it is a great idea. I also think it is fun to take things one step further and add artistic embellishments. Some of the girls are doing that, like to cover stains or t-shirt sayings they don't want.

Recently, after being at a workshop at Houston taught by Traci Bautista (Who wrote Collage Unleashed) , I have started refashioning and painting some clothes. I have some other bits I bought to change as well.

For instance, here is a fun skirt I enjoyed altering. Look in the gallery under Jeans skirt makeover. (I am not sure how to copy the links to several photos).

Anyone else into the refashioning idea?

Sandy in the UK

Not Ranked
Posts 7
dianek39 wrote
on 2 May 2009 8:59 AM

I have refashioned jeans into skirts using hand painted fabrics.  I use to refashion jeans into bellbottoms, skirts, and purses way back in the '70s.  I have gotten into it again lately.  I also refashioned my family's jeans into a memory quilt for my son when he graduated from high school.  I guess I do a lot of refashioning.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 2 May 2009 2:47 PM

I have never done the jeans to skirts thing. perhaps because I have never found a pair that actually fit me at the waist!

Do you have photos somewhere of the ones you did with hand painted fabrics?

My aunt did a lot of jeans quilts. They were very heavy.

Sandy in the UK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 2 May 2009 7:28 PM

I'm a teacher at a public school and at the beginning of each school year they give us a shirt. Each year they are a different color and they are the polo type shirts with a couple of buttons down the front and a collar. They are always men's sizes and aren't very flattering. I take them apart and redo them. I like them better without the collars. I added lace to one of them. I painted a couple of them with symbols from our school. I want to do a lot more refashioning but just don't have the time.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
claynfiber wrote
on 4 May 2009 7:47 PM

I had forgotten about my jean to skirt makeovers back in the 70's. I remember a favorite long jean skirt that I now wish I had! It was so comfortable.

Great ideas for your school shirts!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 5 May 2009 5:56 AM

I think the idea of changing the polo shirts is a very good idea. Do you have any photos anywhere? What kind of comments do you get from the other teachers?

I just blogged about another skirt I changed. You can see it here.

Actually, I also just got an email a few minutes ago from a newspaper. They found my blog and like the idea of restyle/refashioning clothes in the credit crunch. so, they want to do an interview! I am doing a workshop on the 20th June through the college called Recycle and Restyle Your Clothes. The lady who emailed said she is willing to cover that as well!

I am doing a bit of a dance inside as we speak!

Sandy in the UK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 5 May 2009 4:22 PM

I'll try and take photos and post them this weekend. The other teachers look forward to seeing what I'll do with the latest shirt. It has become like a personal challenge for me to do each one differently. If any of you out there see anything on the web about redoing polo shirts let me know.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 6 May 2009 8:14 AM

I haven't actually seen much more than you have already described. perhaps when I see what you have done so far I can think of a few other ideas.

I just posted a t-shirt refashion to go with the latest skirt on my blog.

Sandy in the UK

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 6 May 2009 8:51 AM

Annie sent me a message which included questions about how she might refashion some garments. here is a bit of what she said

"I love thrift stores and am always finding wonderful handmade garments - sweaters, jackets, vests and sometimes dresses too. And I also like to remake clothes big time. I have this wonderful jacket right now that has the most wonderful embroidery all over it, but it is too small, and I am trying to figure out what to do with it to make it something I can use and not lose any of that wonderful embroidery. Also got a t-shirt - the kind that look like they have soft paintings on them but it is just huge, so again, I want to save the design and love the color, but not sure what to do to keep it all. I got a vinyl apron with the most wonderful printed flowers, etc. and that one I intend to make into a tote bag. "

Annie, here are some things I thought of.

First of all, tote bags are always fun! you never seem to have enough.

Alot of times with something that is too small, you can find a toning fabric and add panels where you need them to make it bigger. The difficult part of advising on that is without seeing it on a person, it is difficult to say the best way to do that to suit the person. However, if you want to chop it and use the embroidery, you can unpick the seams and take it apart. Sometimes it is hard to see what to do when the garment is still in its orriginal shape.When you have done unpicked it, you suddenly have "pieces of Fabric" which are much easier to think of ways to use.  Some ideas of ways to use it are: Art quilts, of course!; cut sections from the pieces for accents like collars and cuffs on another garment; similarly, you can cut pattern pieces from it (like something with panel style lines) and put it together with a toning fabric. I am sure once you take it apart, you will think of other things.

On the t-shirt that is too large, you can take a t-shirt that does fit you. Turn the big shirt inside out and fold both it and the fit shirt on the centre front fold and lay them together. Lay the shoulders together for the guide at the top. Mark where the fit shirt lays on the big shirt with pins at the side seam. It might actually need the sleeves taking in as well. Use a long stitch to stitch the new seams. try it on to see if you like it and do any adjustments that are needed. Hopefully it isn't so big that you loose too much of the design. Stitch the seam again with a proper stitch length. You might find it easier to stitch t-shirts with a ball point needle. Trim the seam to about 1/2in away from the new seam line. The t-shirt won't fray, but the seam will hold up better if you overlock it or zigzag it.

1 If it is too long, turn the shirt rightside out, lay the 2 shirts together as before and
mark the hemline. (if you mark with chalk, it works pretty well.)
2 This time, check the hem of the t-shirt you like and see how much it has been turned up. Add this amount to where you marked the hem length. (mark it with the chalk)
3 Then add just about 1/2 in for good measure!! Cut on that last mark.
Turn the hem up, having the fold at the first mark (the desired hem length). Stitch with a twin-needle straddling the  the second mark. This will give you something similar to the cover stitch that is normally used. It will look like a zigzag on the back.
Turn it to the inside and trim the excess near to the stitching.

I hope these are helpful ideas. I hope they are clear enough instructions to understand!!

Sandy in the UK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 26 May 2009 8:18 AM

I'm going to a "play day" Saturday the 30th with some artist friends. One of the things I'm planning to do there is to refashion a jersey I bought. It has black and white horizontal stripes and looked so cute on the hanger that I didn't bother to try it on. When I wear it, I look like I just escaped from a jail. I was thinking that maybe I could add some colorful dyes or piant to make it look good. Does anyone have any ideas they could share with me before Saturday?

I also have a cute t-shirt that I bought at Old Navy and it has a beautiful painted design on it. But it is too tight and too long. So I am going to shorten it by taking in some diagonal pintucks and widen it by adding some inserts from another t-shirt. I'll post pictures if it works out.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
mary j3 wrote
on 31 May 2009 9:59 PM

Hi - I teach and must get the same shirts - boxy men's polo shirts. I love the cotton mesh (live in the hot Calif valley). I take in the side seams, curve waist a little. What has been fun is finding cute buttons. I change the mannish buttons to little flags, cats, or flowers. I sew a button on top of each sleeve hem too. After shortening the men's l-o-n-g shirt, new hip slits are made, with another matching button on one hem slit.  It keeps the students amused. aha

Mary J

Not Ranked
Posts 1
iamclark wrote
on 11 Nov 2013 8:04 AM

It's in Australia so I assume they also know some best fashion boutique for men, like the site http://www.shoppingformen.com.au/product-category/mens-accessories-and-apparel/ where some of my favorite accessories came from them. Although they only have limited items to choose from, their product authenticity is one of my preference.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS