Something new for me

This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Ann-Karin wrote
on 5 Nov 2012 12:57 PM

Hello, I am a lady of 55 years, living in Northern Norway. Have been doing quilt since 2000 and it has become my favorite hobby also do card making (to put with the gift).

Some of my work can be seen on my web side www.ann-karin.net

I have a pattern "Poinsettia Elegance" by Mount Redoubt Designs. Comes as no champion in reading English pattern, so I'm trying this channel for help. Is there anyone who can try to explain, or know of any video clip that can show how but to create the dimensional flower on this cloth. I just can not figure it out.

Ann-Karin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 6 Nov 2012 9:24 AM

Hi Ann-Karin-

I am not sure if I have the exact same pattern, but what I remember is that the dimensional flower is made putting fusible web to the back of two fabrics and putting them together.

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
annkarin wrote
on 6 Nov 2012 2:16 PM

Hi Cheryl / Muppin

Thanks for the reply. Do you put twrong sides together and sew around the edges?

Or sew together right sides facing and "twist" it afterwards? Not always so easy to understand English printed pattern when you are speaking Norwegian, but would like to try.

Regard

Ann-Karin

Regard

Ann-Karin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 6 Nov 2012 4:20 PM

Hi Ann-Karin-

If you type the instruction here, I can interpret it for you in plainer English, if you think that will help.  Don't type the whole pattern, just that one part and I will let you know what you should do.

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
annkarin wrote
on 7 Nov 2012 12:03 PM

Hi Cheryl

I'm so glad you will try to help me, there was so much to write when I started. Having scanned the part of the PDF file, so if you have an email address I could send it to, if you would like to read through and try to explain it to me? I could not get it on this page.

Regard Ann-Karin

Regard

Ann-Karin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 7 Nov 2012 12:25 PM

I sent you a friend request that has my email address in it.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 9 Nov 2012 11:55 PM

hi ann karin

- you do NOT need to sew edges of the flowers. you do NOT need to sew and turn the leaves.

-choose 2 fabrics for the leaves. one for the top, and one for the underside of the leaf.    these can be the same fabric. you could also use several fabrics for the tops.                 for the rest of these directions, i am gonna assume you use 2 fabrics, a top and a bottom.

- fuse (with iron) fusible web, such as wonder under or steam a seam 2, to the WRONG side of either fabric.

-peel away the paper, and fuse this first fabric to the WRONG side of the second fabric.   (you end up with a fabric sandwich - both fabrics with the good side facing out, and the fusible web in between)

-cut out your petals, one at a time.     cut right on the line. you do not need a seam allowance

-arrange your petals on top of the table runner, and use a zigzag stitch to tack in place. you can hide the stitches with some pretty beads.

-----the edges of the petals are unfinished. but the fusible web will help stabilize the edges.  it works best with a high thread count cotton,such as a batik.  but the petals are very sturdy, and should survive many years of use (mine is over 10 years old.) if you need to wash it - wash gently by hand.

just a couple more ideas - the leaves are real pretty with a bit of gold or silver foil on them. or use a gilding pen to add highlights.    they are prettier if you overlap them and use several sizes.       you could also use the artificial silk flowers - no need to do any fusing then.  just peel off all the plastic on the back, and then overlap and arrange them on your table runner. if you leave plastic on them, and hit it wil the needle, it will break your needle.

you could also use a fabric with printed poinsettia leaves on it as the top fabric. fuse it to a bottom fabric. then use the printed leaves on the top fabric to cut out leaf shapes.

hope that helps                   ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 3
annkarin wrote
on 10 Nov 2012 5:02 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply, this way I understand to do it, but what confused me was the pattern: "it is VERY IMPORTANT to purdhase fusible web that has PAPER ON ONE SIDE ONLY (Lite Steam-A-Seam, and this a can't find anyplace i Norway)

I will try this way, Lite Steam-A-Seam2 i got, have use it many time. So i make the sandwich of my batic fabric, lay the pattern on top and cut ut al petals.

This seemed fine. Thank you, that help. 

Ann-Karin 

Regard

Ann-Karin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 3:21 AM

hi again ann karin

glad the info helped.

regardless of what the original instructions say - any fusible web will work.      but you will need to read the directions that come with the web you use - they vary slightly.

but wonder under, steam a seam original and steam a seam 2 will all work.       there are also some heavy craft fusibles which will work - but they will make the petals  heavier and stiffer - and will be ok to tack thru with the sewing machine - but they will gum up the machine needle if you do a lot of stitching thru them.   so they are not used for machine stitched work very much.

ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS