My First Quilting Project

This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 11 Jan 2013 8:58 AM

This is my first quilting project.  Finally completed!  The fusible flower patterns are from Melinda Bula's book Cutting Garden Quilts.  It is many firsts:  machine applique, free motion quilting, fusible web, needle painting, and binding!  I really enjoyed this project and learned a lot. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 10:56 AM

What an amazing first quilt!  Congrats, it's beautiful!

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mahobe wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 3:55 PM

Simply Stunning!  Congratulations.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
haggys47 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 7:13 PM

It is beautifully done: I love the selection of fabrics, the contrast, how it lies so nice and flat. You should be proud of your work,

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 7:55 AM

Thank you!  It was a lot of fun to make, and I sure did learn a lot.

Lynn/luvflwrs

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 7:57 AM

Thank you!  I really enjoyed making this, despite many mistakes, because I loved the colors.  It didn't matter if it wasn't perfect the first time, I really liked the fabric, thread, and colors.

Lynn/luvflwrs

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 29 Jan 2013 7:59 AM

Thank you!  I really did enjoy this project.  I loved the fabric, too!  And the threads added a sheen that made it really exciting.  Thank you for your very kind comments.

Lynn/luvflwrs

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanneG@5 wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 10:13 PM

This is beautiful and such good work.  I have the same book and love flowers and gardening, the colors and being outside, so I know what you mean.  I think that enjoyment of color and flowers shows in your work.  You inspire me to try something from Melinda's  book as well!  I have been thinking about and visualizing for awhile now; it's time to try.

Suzanne G in NC

SuzanneG in NC

suzanneginnc@gmail.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 13 Feb 2013 8:44 AM

Suzanne, thank you for your amazing post and wonderful comments.  I feel the same way about colors, flowers, and gardening. I really wanted to learn to quilt, but I didn't find a block pattern that got me as excited as doing those echinacea flowers!.  I think that's why I selected a project from Melinda's book, too!    I am so glad that my project has inspired you to create something you have been thinking about and visualizing.  Your comments have inspired me also!  I have many irises growing in my yard, and I would like to try making an iris next.  Can't wait until you share your project.

Lynn W in CA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
lilyf1 wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 7:03 AM

What a lovely quilt!  And it's your first?!!  Congrats on trying out all the techniques first time out and having everything turn out so well.  It looks like a great start to many more quilting adventures!

Dawn

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 5:42 PM

Thank you, Dawn!  I hope to one day attempt an art quilt all on my own!  Thanks for your encouragement!

Lynn

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Debbie Crowe wrote
on 21 Feb 2013 5:05 PM

Very well done.....I am sure that this will be the first of many!

you must continue with your patchwork and quilting as it will be very fruitful for years to come!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Debbie Crowe wrote
on 21 Feb 2013 5:05 PM

Very well done.....I am sure that this will be the first of many!

you must continue with your patchwork and quilting as it will be very fruitful for years to come!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
luvflwrs wrote
on 23 Feb 2013 1:54 PM

Thank you, Debbie!  I'm having a time with the next one.  Actually, I think I may be trying to do the impossible.  I am attempting to hand applique a stencil to the top of another wall hanging, and I think the stencil is going to be too thin.  I hate to let it go because it would be beautiful.  Great learning opportunity, though!

Lynn Williams

Not Ranked
Posts 1
OnePenny wrote
on 18 Mar 2013 3:05 PM

Yes, congrats!  You did a great job.  I like it.

OnePenny from NV

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS