Dyeing with easter egg dye

This post has 28 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 3 May 2009 7:45 AM

I recently read an article about dyeing fabric with easter egg dye, but for the life of me cannot find the article now.  I have 10 yards of cheese cloth, 14 boxes of easter egg dye kits (all the supermarket had left over at .49 cents ea.) and spare time all at once; but for the life of me cannot find the article.  I remember that you could use the dye without vinegar to have more muted pastel colors, but that's about it.  Can any one help?  I do not intend to wash this cheese cloth after dyeing, since it will be part of my surface designs in book pages and wall hangings./...Jim D 

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 3 May 2009 7:36 PM

It's in the April, May, June issue of Sumerset Life.  Fascinating, isn't it?  And I ran right down to Wally World to see if there was any still hanging around, but alas, it was all gone.  Guess I'll just have to wait until next year.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 3 May 2009 8:24 PM

Peggy, thank you so much.  I lost the spare time part, but I stilll have the cheesecloth and the egg dye, so as soon as the spare time returns I will try it.  I  assuaged my misery by going to a great sale (75% off) at a local yarn shop and bought myself some incredibly beautiful spiral dyed silk roving, hand dyed silk ribbon, silk sari yarn and the most beautiful Swarovski crystal yarn I've ever seen in 6 colors.  I got enough embellishment materials to keep me busy for about 4 months.   It is amazing how seeing all the rich yarn color compinations and textures can stir your creativity like you wouldn't believe.  Thanks again, you saved me a lot of tossing and turning until I found the article again.  I will post some results as soon as possible.......Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 3 May 2009 8:48 PM

Jim, you  have a delightful way of consoling yourself......That Swarovski crystal yarn sounds intriguing.  That's a new one for me.  It sounds like you have a wonderful yarn source.  Spiral-dyed silk must be gorgeous.  Can you post a picture?

Glad I could actually help.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 4 May 2009 4:24 AM

Peggy, I was out of chocolate!  I had to do something, so I went shopping!  I am getting ready for work, but when I get home this evening, I will post a photo of my goodies.  Meanwhile, the website for the shop is www.fiberart-inc.com    I don't retire until June 30, but I am sooo looking forward to some more spare time.  .........Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 4 May 2009 9:05 AM

That looks like yarn heaven to me!  It's a long ways from Montana to Florida, and I need to see some of that close up, so I look forward to seeing what you might be able to post for eye candy.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 4 May 2009 7:39 PM

Peggy, I just posted 4 photos in the gallery under TheNeedlerArt.  The white fabric I origginally used as background bounced too much light back so I switched to Warm & Natural Quilt Batting.  It absorbed more light, and the yarns aren't as glittery as they are in real life, except the silks.  Hope you enjoy them.

They are eye candy but nothing compared with handling all of these luscious materials in person.  I would have to apply for a bailout if I stayed in the shop any longer.....Jim D 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 4 May 2009 8:36 PM

Jim, thanks for taking the time to post the photos.  Those yarns are all wonderful, but boy do I like the sild spiral dyed.  They are truly lovely.

Thanks again.  A nice little visual treat late in the day.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 4 May 2009 8:46 PM

You are more than welcome, glad I could amke your day more pleasant....Jim D

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 5 May 2009 6:08 AM

Jim, I did some fabric with Easter egg dyes someone sent me from America. I did it how the box said for eggs. It worked well for wool and silk.

According to the article, Which I don't think I can get here, what do you do differently for fabric? I still have a few tablets left.

thanks,

Sandy in the UK

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 5 May 2009 6:50 AM

Sandy, did you dye with vinegar or lemon juice or without?  I am going to try the cheese cloth without either acid, and go for some nice pastels that can be overdyed.   I plan to wet my fabric first to help the dye spread, then crumple up the cheesecloth and immerse it in the dyeath and leave for 2 hrs.  I will check the color and then if need be, use additional increments of 1 hr. each.  Since I  am dyeing without the acid, I will simply squeeze as much liquid out as possible and then air dry.  I will then heat set 1/2 by ironing and the other 1/2 leave without heat setting.   I willl take a sample swatch and rinse to see the amount of color loss and redye if necessary.  I will keep you up to date on my journey..........Jim D    

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
on 5 May 2009 8:48 AM

Hi Jim,

I used the vinegar. It has been a while, but I think I may have nuked it in the microwave as well. I was doing some Koolaid dyeing at the same time, so I thought the dye might take quicker that way. from what I recall, depending on the fabric, the colour was darker for protein fibres (like silk and wool) and more pastel on plant fibres (cotton, linen).

Please do keep me updated, I will look out for it.

Sandy in the UK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 5 May 2009 7:40 PM

Well, I might just have to try this now.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 5 May 2009 8:37 PM

I saw this too and was fascinated... I LOVE using non-traditional materials with traditional techniques and this sounded right up my alley. Unfortunately, my local stores have already put their dye kits away for the year (and ebay wasn't much help, either!) I hope I remember this come next spring, though!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Desiree9 wrote
on 5 May 2009 10:51 PM

I can't wait to hear how your fabric turns out, I didn't know there was an article regarding this. I was just going to go for it! Keep us informed.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS