Critique... Pharoah

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 3 May 2009 2:22 PM

I have just completed a piece I would like to have critiqued. You are the fist to view it.

If anyone follows my blog

[http://www.wyndhavenartandquilts.blogspot.com]

you will know I have been attempting a work in 'series'. This is the 2nd piece for my Exaggeration theme.

I

I am also enclosing the sketch I started with. Tried to upload, but took too long...

The huge Pharaoh is actually the Red Sea.... does this make sense? the 3 yellow looking globes on the lower left are silver and are reflecting the light.

I look forward to your comments.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 3 May 2009 8:57 PM

I am wondering if I missed getting this out there?

I would appreciate hyour take on this...

Thank you.

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 4 May 2009 2:57 PM

Carole, I like the interesting balance you have achieved: The "Red Sea" in the middle, with interesting background techniques.

I am disturbed by the face itself.  The eyes and lips feel rather naive and aren't adding a lot to the overall design. Perhaps it would have been better if you had not included the facial features.

Look at your own face in a mirror:  You don't really see the entire circle of the iris, for instance.

Dig out some of the back issues of Quilting Arts and re-read the articles on design elements.  And a really good book that I like is Katie Pasquini Masopust's "Design Explorations for the Creative Quilter".  She gives some good and understandable hints on design and composition.

I think you are on the right track, and I think you should even consider doing a second one of these, experimenting with different approaches to representing the face.  Perhaps it would be better if the features were more of a suggestion rather than so bold.

Faces are difficult at best to accomplish.  They take hours and hours (years and years?) to accomplish.  I'd suggest that you start a journal where you just have fun sketching different eyes and mouths to see what you like and why, and what you don't like and why.

I also like your addition of the pyramid shapes.  The concept is good. 

I think you are on your way, and this is a good start.  Remember, as artists we are always on a journey.  We never really arrive; there is always something new to learn, and always a skill that can benefit from study and practice.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 4 May 2009 3:03 PM

Carole, I checked out your blog.  I love that day lily.  It is wonderful.  I am going to try your idea of putting gel medium on the lutradur before painting it.  That's a great idea.

I look forward to seeing more in your exaggeration series.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 4 May 2009 3:07 PM

Thank you Peggy, I was giving up on this one....

I like your suggestions and will definitely take your advice. I have just posted it to my blog....

My desire was to have this Pharaoh of the Red Sea be the ominous character he was.. hence the unnerving facial features.

I agree, and will do more drawing.. and I can see myself doing more 'on' this one... using some of the ideas you presented.

Yes, this is a journey, and I am enjoying the learning process.

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 4 May 2009 3:11 PM

Thank you again....Peggy.

The gel medium on the lutradur before painting helps hold the paint.

Lesley Riley has it on her DVD and she puts it on afterward, from the back, and that is good too...

be sure to put a piece of fabric down tho', because it will 'reprint' onto the other fabric. Kind of a twofer.. haha

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 4 May 2009 3:12 PM

Peggy, this Day Lily I dd for the 2010 QA Calendar contest.

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 4 May 2009 7:55 PM

Hi, Peggy and Carole.  I understand the reason for the facial features being like they are.  Early Egyptian artists depicted the Pharoh and other royalty as though they were always looking right at you.  The eye was always completed as if looking straight at you.  It is naive, but that was the Egyptian style of the day.  It rarely was distrubing as the bodies were all done in gold and did not appear as stark as they do in fabric; and there was always the texture of the metal work to offset the face.  It's not a bad thing, it just doesn't work in this media.  Perhaps your silhouette could define the Red Sea and you could use details like  hieroglyphics to ddefine your theme........Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 4 May 2009 10:03 PM

Jim, I so much appreciate your observation on this.

You see where I hink there may be a problem, is that the large image is the focal point... it really is ONLY the Red Sea.

That Pharaoh was a mean-hearted man, and I wanted to depict his arrogance, his steely-stare

even against the waters that flooded over him. there was no humility in this man. I did not want him to look

regal,I wanted him to be 'obtuse'....

I guess I didn't really do it...but Itried...

Thank you for looking..

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 5 May 2009 1:51 PM

Carole, I think you did a fine job of accomplishing what you were attempting.  To be sure, you might do something differently another time, and that is why a series is so helpful.  I think you should do a take-off on your concept.   I'd like to see other ways that you could depict the arrogance of this Pharoah, and I think your use of the Red Sea and transforming it was extremely clever.

I sure didn't know about the Pharoah's personality, so you see, your art is a success, because a viewer learned from it.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 5 May 2009 3:47 PM

Thank you Peggy..... perhaps a little more verbage on my part might have helped...

I did order the book you suggested tho'... I am always willing to learn.

Carole

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS