Social Media Favorites

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 27 Mar 2013 1:43 PM

What's your favorite social media platform and why? Has anyone tried Vine yet? What do you think?

Jane Davila

editor, Quilting Arts In Stitches emagazine

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CattyQuilter wrote
on 27 Mar 2013 6:02 PM

To this point, it has been Facebook simply because I had to start somewhere.However, having recently started my own custom quilting business, I am looking more seriously at the potential for Pinterest and LinkedIn to expand my potential market.  Time will tell how things work out, though.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 28 Mar 2013 4:49 PM

I checked out vine last night.  It was mostly teenagers goofing around.  Do you have any keywords you would recommend searching?  I found the silliest stuff under "Tutorials"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 28 Mar 2013 5:37 PM

I don't know that there are key words I've found helpful - I follow artists, creatives and others in creative industries and then check out who they are following to add more.

Some good ones to follow to start with are:

AlisaBurke

CraftTestDummy

CraftyChica

Balzer Designs 

Bari J

Grace Bonney (Design Sponge)

Design Milk

Click on other followers and followees in the craft community check out their vine video to see if they appeal to you.

If you find some good ones to follow, please share them here!

Jane

Jane Davila

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on 26 May 2013 8:23 AM

Hello,

I will check out vine and the artists you suggested. Jane, when are you going to do more webinars on the art (quilting) business?

I am into etsy (ebay too) but have found sales very slow with out spending money on promotion and advertising. Etsy suggests getting into the community where you live and teams. I don't want to leave the house because of my permanent disability. I also don't drive. So, I do rely on a the internet for money only. How do you advertise and promote on a strict budget?

I love selling my art quilts. But have so few interested buyers on etsy. Sometimes they follow and admire but I haven't sold anything in year. Compared to to 2008 and 2009 when I was selling several a month. Including bed quilts and wallhangings.

Please let me and others know.

Happy quilting day.

Jena of SoranaGallery

Sorana Gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on 1 Jun 2013 2:37 PM

Hello,

I checked out the artists you suggested on Twitter, because that is what I prefer for my favorite social media site (I decided!).

The only twitter gal I found was Alisa Burke and was redirected by link to her blog.

Facebook has been giving me troubles. I am unhappy with doing promotion among my 250 so-called friends. There is zero response from them so I privatized the account. I didn't want to do that, but I had no other choice.

I am going to try to craft today.

Jena

Sorana Gallery

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 1 Jun 2013 6:21 PM

Jena,

There are a quite a few artists on Twitter who use it really effectively. Look for Lisa Call, Jeanne Williamson, and Natalya Aikens (Twitter handles below) to start with. You can also find cool artists to follow by seeing who some of your favorite artists follow. If your social media platform-of-choice is Twitter, then it would make sense for you to focus on using that instead of Facebook for marketing or building community. Each of us has to find what works for her, what you feel comfortable with, and where you're willing to spend your time. I hope you don't get discouraged, just try something else.

@lisacall, @bleujeanne, @artbynatalya 

Best wishes,

Jane

Jane Davila

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS