Hello All!

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
heranoir wrote
on 5 Jun 2013 10:52 AM

Hi everyone:

My name is Deborah and I live in Clover, SC. I have always wanted to do quilting but was the kind of person who worked 13 hours a day. I was a safety manager in the oil fields out in California. Last year I got a really bad Mersa type infection and eventually had to move home because I could not take care of myself. Long story short, I would up having to have my left leg amputated below the knee this past December resulting in me never being able to return to work. So I am not starting to live my dream of making those beautiful quilts that I see in the magazines and online.

I have set up a beautiful sewing room with new machines and everything. I am starting my first quilt today, doing a simple pattern with a jelly roll. I am so excited you have no idea!!

I am looking forward to chit chatting with everyone on these forums!

God bless!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Green-Ivy wrote
on 8 Jun 2013 9:10 AM

Sorry to hear about how you came around to quilting.....but good for you to now being able to do so!  It's addicting and a wonderful creative way to spend time.  I myself did not start into the fabric world until well into adult hood.  Welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 24 Jun 2013 6:32 AM

hi deborah

sorry about your health problems. but you are doing a great job making the best of it.

i also started quilting when i was forced to retire on medical disability. that was 20 years and over 300 quilts ago.

the quilting is a great way to productively use your time when it is difficult to do much else. especially when you can't sleep because of pain, the quilting gives you something else to focus on. and can be put down at a moments notice. another positive benefit - you meet some wonderful fellow quilters.

find the local guild in your area - and you will start to make some new friends. and ask about small groups who meet weekly or monthly - and try and find one or 2 that you can join. being able to focus on others also helps to ease the pain. there are always service groups you can sew for - quilts of valor is one national group with a very good cause.   most guilds will have several service groups available.   but you can always quilt for yourself too!! and for family and friends.

God bless                  ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 29 Jul 2013 6:08 AM

Hi Deborah,

I just joined this community and your post is one of the first ones I read. I am inspired that you took a tragic life-altering event and turned it into something positive. I hope you create many beautiful quilts and I look forward to seeing them on here!

Karen 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS