Embellishing with needle felting

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
createandsew wrote
on 4 May 2009 5:23 PM

I have started working with roving, yarns, etc. for small projects esp.with wool.  I am looking at wool flaps on small messenger style bags as a possibility.  Has anyone done this?

create and sew 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 5 May 2009 9:43 AM

I am also a needle felter, and I use wool and alpaca fiber as well as silk and bamboo for embellishing.  If you are going to embellish fabric, I would recommend using size 40t or 42t needles as they do not leave large holes on the surface or destroy the base fabric.   In the photo gallery under TheNeedlerArt is a wall hanging of wool felt with needled roving twigs and branches.  The maple leaves are made of fabric I needled by hand and machine from cotton quilt scraps, organza, silk, ric rac, yarns of many types all anchored to the base fabric with wisps of wool roving.  I find wool and yarns can be successfully used in art quilts like any other embellishment.......Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 5 May 2009 12:32 PM

I couldn't find the picture... help?

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 5 May 2009 2:59 PM

Right now it is on pg 4 of the gallery, right next to the Lime Quilt.  The NeedlerArt wallhanging is listed on the left hand side near the bottom of the page, just click on there and it will take you to my posted photos.....Jim D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
createandsew wrote
on 7 May 2009 7:20 AM

The wall hanging is a great example.  Thanks!  I just need to get past the making flowers and doodling stage, (smiling).  There's a part of me that wants to remain more practical - i.e. making purses/totes, table runners, penny rugs, etc  rather than just artistic expression in all the avenues I want to pursue.  Also trying some punch needle stuff and have joined a small (wannabe) art quilter group.  So much fun to be had and even retired, so little hours in a day!

create and sew

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 7 May 2009 9:37 AM

The art you create on fabric can be used in the more practical purposes, and will make them look lovely.  Just think of what you see when you go into a designer shop or upscale department store, beautiful artwork used to decorate items of everyday use.  Best of luck with your endeavors, and remember to give yourself permission to play........Jim D 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 15 May 2009 3:05 PM

I have playing with roving and a hand punch a little.  I used roving around the edges of a small art quilt instead of binding, as the quilt  "told me" to have curvy edges.  I have also punched in my own hair into a piece of fabric before sewing it into a quilt. Link to pic of quilt:  http://www.lakeviewquiltersguild.org/ShowTour2008/Album/slides/1011a.html    Not to get off topic here, but that quilt is a true "mixed-media" quilt!

Not quilt-related, but I  punched undyed roving into stryrofoam balls to make "snowballs" for my Christmas tree last year.  I used florist wire to stick through the middle, and then twisted both ends of the wire.  They were so cute, but I lost a couple of them due to a younger cat having too much fun with them.  I need to make more for the Christmas tree this year.

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
Lorraine62 wrote
on 1 Jun 2009 1:10 PM

great discussion about needle felting and some lovely artistic examples.  I had a go at needlefelting into lutradur today..you can also burn lutradur to add to the effect.  Here is the link

http://loveofcollage.blogspot.com/2009/06/love-collage-canvas-page-mixed-media.html

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS