WOW, Something New for IQA

This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
CaroleD@2 wrote
on 4 May 2009 6:28 PM

Best of luck launching this planned IQ Festival mag.  What a great idea now that the show has expanded way beyond the "Granddaddy of Them All" -- Houston.  I've been lucky to go to Houston and Chicago once each and I will always remember each day of those events.  Success to the editors and every person involved!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 5 May 2009 1:10 PM

We are very excited about this publication. It is going to be fun!

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 7 May 2009 3:07 PM

I have been a fan of Karey Bresenhan for years.  Every book that she has had a hand in is absolutely wonderful.  I can't wait for this new publication.  Are you going to have any journal projects?  Or a project like "I remember Mama"?  So WONDERFUL!!  My goal is to some day get juried in to Huston.  They tell me actually I have to enter one first. Life seems to keep getting in the way of that right now.  But someday.

Thank you for giving me something to look forward to.

Whidbey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 7 May 2009 3:08 PM

Oh Whidbey!  Me too!  I keep dreaming of entering a quilt into those big shows...  Someday... I know we can do it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 7 May 2009 4:29 PM

Yes, Muppin I think we can some day make it to the big shows.  You have some wonderful work on your website it was fun to see it.

My husband has challenged me.  If I get in to a big show he will send me there.  I need to learn to read the instructions before I let my quilting angels take over my mind and hands and do a quilt that doesn't fit the size or the real theme of the contest. Quilting angels are my muse and they get me in trouble all the time to keep me humble. They happen when I am in my studio letting my imagination run amuck.  That is where my creativity comes from.

Aim for those shows Muppin you can do it.

whidbey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 7 May 2009 6:27 PM

Yes, by all means go through the process.  It is "survivable".  :)

I have had a small piece juried into Houston, and one into Chicago.  They weren't ribbon material, but you know, there isn't a show if people don't enter!

Whidbey, take your husband up on that challenge!

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
lheureux_art wrote
on 8 May 2009 2:23 PM

I'm right there with both of you!  I've challenged myself to enter 5 pieces into shows or challenges this year.  So far I've gotten 2!  But that's two more than I've ever done, and I'll get to Houston myself, if not next year, then the year after.

Michele Ann L'Heureux
Fiber Artist
Lancaster, California

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 8 May 2009 3:07 PM

Wow 5 pieces into major shows?  I salute you.  I have a problem that I swear to over come I need to make the quilt for the specific show instead of make the quilt and find a show.  That is hard for me.  Someone talked me into covering the back of a wonderful quilt with a wonderful back.  I was going to enter the quilt  into Quilt National.  False backs are against the rules.(So much for that professional speaker)  And the quilt did not fit into the size ranges of any major show except Knoxville.  I think that is where it was meant to be (if it gets juried in) Waiting to hear.

I also need to read all the rules first.  I have a friend who has agreed to read the rules for me and keep reminding me when I try to go off track.  i go into my own little world when I work.

Here is to all of us.  We can do it!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
lheureux_art wrote
on 8 May 2009 3:33 PM

I do read the rules and the themes, and that actually gives me ideas for new pieces.  Whether they get executed in time or not is another issue!  Case in point -- I started an idea for the QA Calendar Contest, didn't get past the initial drafting stage.  Then another Call for Entry came up and I took the idea, enlarged it to the minimum allowable size, changed it a bit and started on it.  Got the backgrounds for the top cut out, but realized I wouldn't get the applique done in time.  So I won't be entering it in that show!  But now, I'm thinking I may submit it to International Quilt Association's Celebrate Spring next year.  We'll see if I can get it done in time for that......

I started an art calendar this year.  I put in it all the deadlines for challenges, contests, and fiber trading groups I belong to.  I also have a list of the submissions I want to make with all the deadline dates, rules and regulations, along with my ideas for that submission, and what is done and still needs to be done on that project.  Then, I have another list, that has all the unfinished projects I have (85 at last count!) and what still needs to be done with those.  As they're finished, they go into another list.  It's amazing what I've actually accomplished.  I tend to forget about all the little gifts I've made for friends and family, but those do count!

Do what works best for you.  I've read of artists (I can't recall names at the moment) who do a piece of work, then find a show to fit the piece.  Or a show comes up and they have a piece done or close to done that will fit.  Good luck on your quilt at Knoxville.  Let me know if it got juried in.

Michele Ann L'Heureux
Fiber Artist
Lancaster, California

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
Carol DK wrote
on 25 May 2009 12:45 AM

I have just begun my art calendar. I have missed too many deadlines thinking I could create and keep track of time, haha. So, now, right next to our family calendar is my art calendar where I record all of the contests and challenges I am interested in. Writing are in one color, quilting in another, etc. And, yes, I have kept track of bday gifts and mothers day gifts etc, so I have tangible evidence of my work as I do not always print or upload my photos of my work to my journal. My calendar is like a table of contents to my journal, which is sporadically filled in. It is the best organizational idea ever! I have a notebook on the shelf with page protectors with the rules for each that I have printed from the websites.

I have not had the courage yet to actually COUNT all of my unfinished projects, but, that sounds like a grand idea. I know my husband could have a good laugh, he teases me about how I love beginnings...

But! If one does check out their unfinished projects and pages through rules, it does seem entirely reasonable that at least one would come close and could be made ready. Great idea. I will use it. Well, off to count and check.

Happy Creating.

Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 1 Jun 2009 7:16 PM

Carol,

One of my quilt guilds has an ongoing contest going.  At the beginning of the year we all turn in a list of all our Unfinished Objects UFO's.  Along with the list we turn in 2 half yards of fabric from assigned categories.  (batik, Asian, patriotic etc. )  Each time you finish a project and present it at show and tell it is marked off our UFO list and we get a ticket placed into  a jar.  At the end of the year tickets are drawn for a stacks of half yards.  It is kind of fun once you get over the shock of seeing your UFOs written down in black and white. 

Happy creativity

whidbey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 12 Oct 2009 10:58 PM

Hey Muppin,

Remember that we were dreaming about entering a quilt in a big show back last May?  Well I have a quilt in the Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara Ca.  this next weekend.  Now it is your turn. It can be done.  I won the bet with my husband and I am going for 3 nights.  I can't wait.

happy creativity

whidbey

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
Carol DK wrote
on 14 Oct 2009 12:15 AM

Whidby! Congrats. that sounds so wonderful. You broke through the barrier, the one that keeps us from sharing our work larger scale! Enjoy!!! ;D

carol kunnerup

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
Carol DK wrote
on 14 Oct 2009 12:17 AM

oh my gosh,and I can't believe it was in May that these posts were first, well posted. time sure flies.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS