Grandmothers flower garden.

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Irenem63 wrote
on 6 May 2014 11:32 AM

I am very new to quilting, and thoroughly enjoying my new hobby!   I'm making a grandmothers flower garden and so far, it's looking good.  However.........I initially intended to hand quilt, but I am becoming a bit better at free hand machine quilting.   I have searched the internet but can't fine any advice or patterns for quilting.   Is stitch in the ditch my only choice, or can anyone suggest what pattern they might tackle?    Thank you in advance, Irene, Dundee, Scotland.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Nanny Moo wrote
on 7 May 2014 1:37 AM

Check out Pinterest site, lots of pictures of GMFG quilts, might get some ideas there.  On that site, you can actually pin something that you like, which is great,  as I have found unless I save something as a favourite, I can NEVER find it again. 

I have watched Leah Day's FMQ as well, she does some amazing stuff.

Good luck!

Nanny Moo in Australia

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Nanny Moo wrote
on 7 May 2014 1:37 AM

Check out Pinterest site, lots of pictures of GMFG quilts, might get some ideas there.  On that site, you can actually pin something that you like, which is great,  as I have found unless I save something as a favourite, I can NEVER find it again. 

I have watched Leah Day's FMQ as well, she does some amazing stuff.

Good luck!

Nanny Moo in Australia

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Nanny Moo wrote
on 7 May 2014 1:45 AM

Hi Irene,

I would suggest checking out the website Pinterest, as they have pages of GMFG quilts to look at.  You have to join, which is free, and you create folders to "pin" things in.  You might get some ideas there on how to quilt it.  Good thing about Pinterest is that you can save things to your 'homepage' and can go back time and time again, to check it out.  The quilts are endless, scrappy ones, bold ones, applique ones, almost too many to look at! I was after some ideas for scrappy quilts, and now have to choose ONE to do!

I have found that unless I save a website I like as a Favourite on the computer, I can never remember where I found the site again!

Leah Day also has a great site called '365 days of FMQ'.  she shows you how to do the FMQ, heaps of FMQ patterns to try too.

Hope this helps,

Nanny Moo in Australia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Irenem63 wrote
on 7 May 2014 4:05 AM

Thank you very much Nanny moo!   I will definitely join pinterest.   You are so right about seeing really fab things on the Internet and forgetting where I first saw it!  Lol!  I will keep you informed of my progress by for now from Scotland to Australia xx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 12 May 2014 3:20 AM

hi irene

stitch in the ditch is absolutely not required !!!

for a flower garden - how about more flowers ?   the quilted  flower centers could be in one hexagon, with petals extending into the adjacent ones.

you could add leaves and stems as desired.

or, don't know about your garden, but mine also has bugs.  ants, bees, butterflies, lady bugs......could all be quilted into your garden. they don't have to be confined to one hexagon either.  you can totally ignore the hexagons, and just add bugs and flowers all over the place. although i would not use bugs if this is an elegant quilt made for a wedding.     but if it is a fun, whimsical quilt, made for a child or as a wallhanging, bugs are lots of fun.

if a wallhanging, you could also add buttons, beads, sequins as eyes or other buggy parts.

coloring books are nice places to find simple shapes. as are childrens story books. also the internet has many free coloring pages which can be easily adapted into quilt designs.

one way to visualize what they would look like on your quilt - cover part of the quilt with clear vinyl, or plastic sheet protectors, and use a marker to draw the quilt design on.then just lay the clear plastic over your quilt. the plastic can easily be moved, and you can try as many designs as you want without putting any marks on your quilt.

hope the info expands your quilt possibilities.     ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Irenem63 wrote
on 12 May 2014 8:12 AM

Wow!!!  Thank you so, so much for your fab ideas!!   It's a baby quilt, so you are right, I can be as whimsical as I like!!   It's a great idea you have given me with the children's colouring books!  Clever lady!   Thanks again, I will post a picture once I have completed the project! Xxxxx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 14 May 2014 2:56 AM

hi irene

looking forward to seeing the picture.

also, being whimsical - rayon thread is fun to stitch with. and bright, mulicolored variegated can be fun to use.   or if a single color thread - changing thread color to match the bug - like red lady bug, or green beetles..... can also be fun and add color.                   ckquilter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 14 May 2014 7:19 PM

hi again

while i was deciding on a quilt design for a butterfly quilt, i remembered one more idea i like for garden quilts.

especially if it is for a little girl.  one of my favorite sayings is : "always leave room in your garden for fairies to dance ".

when my little nieces come over, and the neighbor girls , they flit around the yard and are so beautiful together.  just like butterflies. or when they wear their dress up sparkles and tutus, just like fairies.

so, look thru those coloring books or children's books for flower fairy designs. they make beautiful quilt designs.  i have used them on several quilts.

also, check out jillian sawyers fairy quilt books. stained glass designs make wonderful quilting patterns. she has got some great dragons and mermaids also.                              ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Irenem63 wrote
on 15 May 2014 4:13 AM

Thanks again for a wonderful idea!   I am almost finished the quilt top, I have pieced it by hand.   I'm going to have a break, the baby is due in September, so hopefully between now and then, I can practise my machine quilting using a range of your fantastic ideas! 

As a newbie to this wonderful craft, I really appreciate the suggestions and support I have received from forum members, especially ckquilter!  Thanks again! Xx

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS