Over all look & technique

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
on 5 May 2009 2:18 PM

I've never had other quilters comments on my work (except friends). So I'd like to know how this could be improved. I am a very new quilter and this was my second time to "color" the fabric with paints and pencils. My first is on my page and is called cup of joe. I think I'm getting better, but need advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 5 May 2009 4:55 PM

Very nice looking if you ask me, I have Koi ponds and love looking at them and yours looks like he could jump up out of the water  ,1 vote from me

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 5 May 2009 6:22 PM

I love the needlework.  I have a problem realizing that there aren't two works separate from each other on the screen.  I love Oriental themed art, having spent 2 years in Japan,  but the black character is so strong and compelling that it pushes the beautiful Koi away.  The character is well done and the accompanying embellishments are lovely, but they detract from the whole.  Perhaps it is the thin black border around the character piece that is causing the separation.  The binding around the Koi is more compatible and maybe it should have been used around the front piece as well.  It helps create more of a sense of unity.  The only other thing; I feel the bottom strip of water could have been a couple of shades darker to accent the beautiful Koi and make it less static.  I love the project idea and I love your "Cup of Joe" .  I hope you continue to grow.......Best wishes, Jim D 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
on 6 May 2009 5:00 AM

Thanks so much for your comments Jim. With me learning techniques I tend to get wrapped up in "is the stitching ok" and don't spend the time looking at the design. I also know outside eyes see so much more. I agree with your observations. I wanted to 2 sections to be separate, but seem as one too. As if they could be separated and stand on there own and also look cohesive together. That might be a bit much for so "young" a quilter, but I have always tended to jump in the deep end. Thanks again.

Royce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 6 May 2009 6:28 AM

Just keep jumping, that's how we learn.....Jim D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 7 May 2009 7:35 AM

Your artwork is beautiful. I would have to agree with Jim though that your eye immediately goes to the black lettering and the dark red fabric and kind of passes over your beautifully painted fish. I don't know if you do this when you design, but I take a eyehole viewer/fish lense (the ones for doors that you can buy cheap at the hardware store) and look at my quilts through this. It can really help you decide what is working and not working. When we are so close up to a project it is hard to see the big picture. I notice in your photo you wear glasses too. If you are as blind as I am at a distance, you can also just stand back and take your glasses off. If you need to, you can also squint a little to bring things even more out of focus! This is a good alterative to the evehole viewer.

Jody

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
on 7 May 2009 3:16 PM

You know I have one of the peep hole viewers and never remember to use it. I need to put it on my cutting table (which is where I sit things to think them over) and remember I have it. Thanks for your comments. I am mid way threw a project that could possibly have these same problems and I've really been rethinking several of the elements in it. It's wonderful to have other talented artists thoughts at my finger tips. The internet is such a wonderful thing. Thanks for your kind words and advice.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 115
smidgen wrote
on 6 Jul 2009 4:25 AM

I agree with the others in their comments. The elements are beautiful but with your use of color (red selection) at the bottom of the piece it feels "heavy" it would be cool if you try to put another element in your piece with a dash of red somewhere at the top? I did want to mention that also the piece feels "pastely" with no... bold marks except for the language characture at the bottom? It would of been so WICKED if you could of bumped up the water element somehow (keep in the "pastely" feel but make thicker and thiner markes with sumi brushes) to keep the Viewer more focused on the fish. Just my thoughts... I hope that I am not being harsh?

Never Stop Creating

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS