Hi, I'm new!

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Janeen6 wrote
on 8 May 2009 5:40 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the quilting arts forum and to art quilting. I am so excited to find a resource to help learn to be a better art quilter. I have a question about using stabilizer. I did a lot of machine embroidery on an art quilt and the stabilizer will not tear off in the areas where it has been embroidered heavily. Do I just leave the stabilizer on? What is the best type of stabilizer to use? And are there other options to use for stabilizers? Thanks for your help.

Janeen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 8 May 2009 6:49 AM

Hi, Janeen and Welcome!  Yes you can cut away as much stabilizer as you can and leave the rest.  It will probably destroy your design if you try to remove it from the heavily embroidered areas.  There are specific stabilizers for the types of embroidery you do.  You may need to used water soluble stabilizers on art quilts because the tear aways and cut aways generally don't work well on this type of work.  Without knowing the type of machine you are using, it is difficult to recommend a type of stabilizer.  I use predominantly Sulky stabilizers and have good results.  There are books available on the best ways to pick and use a stabilizer.  For  needle lace by  machine use a water soluble (I use 2 layers) in an embroidery hoop or in your embroidery unit if you have an embroidery machine.  My favorite stabilizer is a 3" wide tear away that I get at my Husqvarna Viking dealer.  I can use it under any area where I think the thread tension is going to pucker my material, then easily tear it away after sewing.  I hope this helps.  I will try to find you some more sources for reading about stabilizers....Jim D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 11 May 2009 7:30 AM

Welcome Janeen,

You're bound to get great answers here...  Enjoy the site!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 12 May 2009 4:08 PM

Janeen, you truly can do whatever you want! I am learning there are no rules to art quilting. If something does not work the way you intended go with the flow. I just say "I meant to do that."

Jody

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS