Stitching into cloth paper

This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 14 May 2009 2:31 PM

I've been doing sooooo much stitching on cloth/paper this last year, as it's the subject of my book which comes out in October (Stitch Alchemy) ! However, I don't talk much about  the vagaries of stitching in the book--it's more surface treatments and projects.

I use a denim needle and replace it often. I've just started using bobbin thread and LOVE it. It seems less likely to snarl or break for me. Tension is a biggie. When I make cloth/paper, it has a wide variety of densities and textures, so I have to readjust my tension a lot, depending on the pieces I'm using. It helps to have some scraps of the very stuff you'll be stitching so you can run a practice line and check the underside. I do almost exclusively free motion stitching and lots of it.

Kelli

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 14 May 2009 3:30 PM

Thanks Jody - you took the thread right off of my bobbin! My reasons exactly!

Since I loosen the top tension slightly, I don't usually have a problem with the bobbin thread showing. The embroidery bobbin came with my machine embroidery unit, but I use it for free motion too.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 5:44 PM

Jody Johnson:

I didn't even think of talking about what I use in the bobbin before. I love love love using invisafil by Wonderfil too or The Bottom Line by Libby Lehman - Superior Threads. Both of these are very fine and reduce bulky build-up underneath with heavy quilting/embroidery/thread painting.

These sound interesting to use as bobbin threads... do you find they have a good tensile strength? I'm a big one for snapping threads. LOL

Jody Johnson:
As well, I now keep a stock of wound bobbins with several basic colours (white, cream, sage, tan, blue, brown, black) so I don't need to worry about winding a bobbin mid-way through a project or even at the beginning.

I do this, too... makes for an easier afternoon at the machine. ;)

Thanks so much, Jody!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 5:48 PM

Kelli Nina Perkins:

When I make cloth/paper, it has a wide variety of densities and textures...

I'm curious, do you use a variety of mediums to do different sheets of cloth paper or do you have one mix you prefer? I tend to use what's on hand- some days it's Elmer's, some days it's matte liquid medium.

Can't wait for your new book, congrats!! And thanks for the reply. Every post I read on these forums furthers my education. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 15 May 2009 6:33 AM

do you use a variety of mediums to do different sheets of cloth paper or do you have one mix you prefer? I tend to use what's on hand- some days it's Elmer's, some days it's matte liquid medium.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue, diluted well with water and I make a bunch of sheets all at once, then color them later. I do use gel medium as a surface treatment for a collaging additional elements on the top!

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 15 May 2009 10:45 PM

Hi Judi,

I rarely have either my top or my bottom threads snap on me. As well, I find I don't have as much lint build-up in the bobbin area with the bobbin threads. I do find I need to loosen my top tension as Dale does to keep my bobbin thread from popping through. The only time tend to use cotton in the bobbin is when I piece and then I use 60 weight 100% cotton in my top and bottom.

Jody

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
defling wrote
on 6 Jun 2009 6:29 PM

I have had no problem with sewing on fabric paper. I made some with several layers of tissue paper, glue and paint, quilted it with Superior HiLights thread ( it's a polyester) and probably a needle no larger than a 90 either a microtex or embroidery. I used Superior bottom line thread in the bobbin. I did another piece that had torn bits of paper applied with glue, painted tyvek and painted fabric fused with wonder under. my sample piece used a heavy weight thread and a 90 needle, and I was not happy with the size of the holes, so on the for real piece I used Superior bottom line thread on the top and bottom. I don't remember any significant tension adjustments. I live on the east coast of Florida, so it's plenty humid here, but we do run our air conditioner which surely helps with the humidity.  Here's a photo of the daylily quilt. When I discovered Beryl's process, I dug in my ufo's and found a daylily I had made in a Phil Beaver workshop, and fused it to the paper background. I wish I could help you more.

Susan

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS