What sewing machine do you use?

This post has 111 Replies | 41 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
Jane LaFazio wrote
on 12 May 2009 12:45 PM

oops, I replied to the wrong thread....

I'm attracted to a Bernette 66, it's a small one made by Bernina. I don't want a computerized one, nor do I want to spend a fortune. As anyone used a Bernette 66?

thanks!

Jane LaFazio

Jane LaFazio.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Angela R wrote
on 13 May 2009 6:03 AM

How does the Sewezi work?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cloban wrote
on 13 May 2009 10:36 AM

I have 2 machine I have a Elna Pro Quilters Dream that sew so smooth I use this with a Pro Grace Quilting Frame and love to free-motion on this, and I also have a Elna Heirloom that I do some free-motin quilting on. I adore both of my elna they are real work horse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 13 May 2009 10:56 AM

My Bernina Artista 200 sits on my sewing table -  I use it the most often because it's like a centipede - it has all those wonderful feet (plus all the other bells and whistles that I just HAD to have - including an acrylic extension table).

I also have a Bernina 830 that is about 30 years old and which I keep meaning to bring out of its storage space, because as much as I like to 200, my 830 was my baby for a long time. I also have a basic Pfaff "Classic Style / Fashion"  which I got to take to classes because it is smaller and lighter than my other machines.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
createandsew wrote
on 13 May 2009 3:43 PM

I have Husqvana Viking SE and Husqvana Madison/Scandia  (completely mechanical) sewing machines.  I do just about everything on the SE including quilting,  crafts like table runners, purses, totes, etc., home dec., art quilts, small amounts of clothing.   I frequently use the decorative stitches - they enhance the quilting lines and embellishing lines, esp. on small projects like totes and purses- am much less experienced with the embroidery potential.

The Madison(US name) is a workhorse machine that has about a dozen decorative stitches and is great to take on quilting retreats and getaways - its also a loaner to my DD when she has projects (like Hallloween costumes)  to do.  I also have a cabinet Singer from the 1940's, a family hand me down -  I sewed all my children's clothes and home dec items on it up until the 90's.  Like The Needler, I also have the Huskystar ER 10 Embellisher - I enjoy that as an adjunct to the hand felting tools I have.  I am still in the "some experience" stage with needlefelting. 

Rae

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 14 May 2009 2:56 PM

I'll throw in for Babylock. I've got a Decorator's Choice and I've really put it through its paces...even cracked some sort of metal part in the first year. I can't complain about anything. I do a ton of free motion stitching and it works wonderfully well for that. I absolutely love the needle threader and wouldn't want to live without that. The bobbin is easy in easy out--another plus. It's a nice workhorse for my mixed media.

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
mary j3 wrote
on 15 May 2009 7:29 PM

My Bernina Artista 165 is heaven sent - after 30 years with basic Kenmore(gasp-middle class America). If I am so lucky to keep sewing another 30 years, it will hang in there. Finally I can quilt with free motion - like ice skating on a smooth lake. About twice a year I hook up the embroidery - for a baby quilt or fncy tea towels. Mostly I quilt, embellish, mend, and yes, hem pants.  mary j

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pegfile wrote
on 15 May 2009 7:50 PM

I lovwe my Bernina 730.  It sews beautifully , embroidery is fantastic, and it is so user friendly.

Peggy File

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
eileenkny wrote
on 20 May 2009 3:45 AM

I have a Babylock Quest that I got last year. Still working on bonding with it. Also have a Viking Freesia 415 that I love!! It only has 15 stitches but it does more different things than the Babylock. Oh yeah, a Singer 901 workhorse-got it back in the '80s and it's still stitchin' along. Right now it's loaned out to a friend who's just learning to quilt. Hopefully, it'll come home in one piece.

I do mostly piecing on these machines. I have a Gammill Classic Plus longarm for my business and I do all my actual quilting on that.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
tiedyejudy wrote
on 20 May 2009 9:55 AM

I have a Pfaff  1528 that I purchased last year to replace my old Pfaff.  The old one was 28 years old, and the only reason I replaced it was the parts were no longer being made for it.  I was first introduced to Pfaffs in the 70's when I took a clothing construction course.  At that time I was using an old Singer, and the Singer and I fought tooth and nail every time I tried to use it.  So in '80, I bought the first Pfaff, and we had an ongoing love affair until it finally died.  The new one and I are getting along just fine, and I recently purchased the acrylic work surface for it, so I could do my free-motion quilting.  Doesn't get any better than that!

Judy Sall

www.tiedyejudy.blogspot.com

'Busy hands are happy hands... especially when fabric, dye, thread, beads, etc., are involved!' 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
jakquil wrote
on 21 May 2009 12:48 PM

I have a Bernina 440QE, Bernina 1630, Bernina 910, I like all of them and use them for different purposes.  I also have a Brother 1500S which I use most of the time, it does a fantastic job of straight stitching and machine quilting, as well as free motion embroidery.  I have a treadle Singer and a 40's electric Singer, plus the old machine I bought when I was a senior in highschool (many moons ago).  I fall in love with all my machines and can't get rid of them.  I didn't mention my Bernina Serger 2000D whidh is a real workhorse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 302
on 21 May 2009 2:24 PM

Does this machine allow you to drop feed dogs and do free motion? I would love to get a new machine. My 25 year old Kenmore doesn't let me do free motion so I think it's time for a new one ;-)

Art Director, Quilting Arts Magazine

Not Ranked
Posts 2
juanita54 wrote
on 28 May 2009 5:12 PM

I use a Bernina for the fact that it is reliable and will sew just about anything and I must admit I own a Bernina store.  And I love it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 28 May 2009 5:14 PM

You don't have to own a Bernina store to love the ease and beauty of this particular brand! :)

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
juanita54 wrote
on 28 May 2009 5:18 PM

dear Jane,

The Bernette 66 is a totally mechanical machine.  This means that you turn a dial for the stitch and zig zag.  It has a one step buttonhole and also 26 stitches I beleive/. It has a ten year warranty and 2 years on the electrical.  You can purchase a walking foot and a 1/4" foot for quilting plus a couple of other feet.  This machine is for sewers who hardly sew.  There are a couple of more bernettes up the line.

Page 2 of 8 (112 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS