What sewing machine do you use?

This post has 111 Replies | 41 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jill53 wrote
on 11 Sep 2010 3:58 PM

I agree with you. I have an old Bernina 830 and I never have to change the tension on it. But I am have to check and change the tension on my Bernina QE 400 which is about 6 or 7 years old.

JH from Australia

Not Ranked
Posts 2
kalyani2 wrote
on 12 Sep 2010 10:29 AM

What do you think pf the new Janome 7700?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 12 Sep 2010 1:14 PM

I hope more women will chime in on the Janome 7700 as I have decided my heart is set on this machine. I would like to hear good things about it. I heard there was some whining over on the Yahoo boards about going from from thin to really thick layers on it using the 1/4 inch foot specifically. Once I saw the YouTube demo of an answer to that complaint-- going from 2 layers to 10 with the 1/4 inch foot, .....at that point I decided that for me, I couldn't give that complaint much credence.

Having seen the Horizon in person, hearing how quiet it is.... seeing how practical it is for the home sewer to quilt on...AND coming to learn that Janome has been very responsive to it's customers in reference to this machine all points in its favor for me.

My town Fall Fair is going on right now, I don't know if Janome will be represented there, but when I go I am going to look to see and inquire about demo machines....

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Angela R wrote
on 16 Sep 2010 8:33 AM

I have just acquired an 1870 (date, not model) Wilcox and Gibb chainstitch machine.   It is in good working order, we have sussed out how to thread it and it sews like a  dream.  However the instruction book has lost all its really useful pages and looks like a Dead Sea Scroll.  I want to try some chain stitch embroidery.  Has any one out there any experience of using one for quasi free motion embroi dery ?I   am thinking of in terms of those Victorian chain stitch trimmings.  The line made by the chain stitch has quite a different character from modern machine stitch.  In hopes  Angela R

Not Ranked
Posts 2
7Sheryl5 wrote
on 17 Sep 2010 6:42 AM

Hi I use a Husqvarna Saphire as well. I used to ahve a Husqvarna which lasted 17 years - theri first computerised version - it was great, then a Bernina which didn't like me and I didn't like it. I am very tough on machines.

I got a free fabu motion with mine and had to do a 4foot long tree complete with branches etc to place owls in. The fabu motion was terrific for such a big area. TAkes a little practice but worth it. Not sure how it will go with small stuff but practice makes perfect/

I do think that machines and peoepl choose each other, hence my bent for Husqvarna. I think it becoems part of you. Sheryl

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 17 Sep 2010 1:43 PM

Well--- I went to the Fair yesterday and bit one bullet----

I bought the Fair demo of the Babylock Evolution......I get a six presser foot package and rolling case with it...plus as many free lessons as I need to understand the machine. The dealer is around the corner from me, so that makes it convenient. I think I did pretty good on the deal, since I think MSRP's are a big fat joke anyway.....but I am confident of one thing...this machine will be user friendly and go a good 20 years with me.

I've never serged before so I'll be happy to bring you reports in the coming weeks.

I test drove the Bernina 440 QE with that $900 stitch regulator foot---- VERY IMPRESSIVE. I wish advertisers would be more specific about what it is stitch regulators do-- so newcomer's like me who are just trying to figure this stuff out can have a better understanding.

The regulator does not just make for even stitches. Saying that alone is not enough of a description. What the regulator does is-- make it so you machine will not move to make a stitch unless you the sewer move your fabric. The regulator makes the machine 'read' your movements, if you don't move, the machine doesn't move--- If you go fast, the machine will keep up with you, if you slow down the movement of your fabric.....it's like the machine reads your mind. It forces the sewer to become one with the machine in sort of spooky but wonderful way!!!

The 440 QE does not have a big enough harp for what I am looking for, the 820 model is like looking at a Cadillac Escalade....beautiful machine with 12" harp...and comes with the regulator foot....BUT the fair price was $6200 and that is still beyond my willingness to accept....

Makes the Horizon look like a steal.....but I am not seeing stitch regulators for the Horizon....don't know if I need one, but toys are just neat to have right???

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mlindu wrote
on 18 Sep 2010 9:42 AM

I also use Husqvarna Viking sewing machines. I have a Designer Diamond, the ER10 embellishing machine, a Husky lock s21, and a mega quilter.  I love all of my machines and am never bored. Have you tried/gotten the 5D software yet. It is so great-everything is easier and so much fun. Thanks for the tip on the needles.

Mary T.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 19 Sep 2010 9:10 AM

hpthecat- congratulations on your new machine!!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
strattons158 wrote
on 19 Sep 2010 11:05 AM

I own three Elna machines.  A older 3005 that is great for basic sewing and the grandchildren as they learn to sew.  An 8007, an embroidery machine, is awesome and has been my workhorse for 12 years.  My 744 Elna serger has never given me a bit of trouble and is easy to thread.  As a Home Ec. teacher, I spent many years on Berninas, but when it was time for a new home machine, I chose Elnas because they are quiet, smooth, and my local dealer, Sew Uniquely You, provides great service and on-going education with the machines.  I do art quilting covering fabric, paper and metal as well as garment sewing and my Elna does everything I ask it to do without problems.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
prairiechick wrote
on 19 Sep 2010 5:55 PM

i am a sewing machine junkie!  just moved to alaska and took my old singer portable (one of the first electrics) as it is lighter than my pfaff and other singers (slant, portable and two treadles).  I also have a beautiful old white that is in a beautiful cabinet and has any accessory foot a gal could ask for.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 20 Sep 2010 12:35 AM

Thank You! And thank you for all  your insight!

Now I just feel like I am waiting for a baby to born.....while the fair finishes out....LOL.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sewkate wrote
on 23 Sep 2010 11:12 AM

I hope you love your Evolution as much as I do.  I just wish I had more free time to play with it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 9 Oct 2010 2:56 AM

I take my first class on the Evolution tomorrow morning and I am very excited! There are 31 ways to thread the machine if you include setting the needle in different positions.....at least that is how it looks on the quik ref card.

I saw the YouTube with the lady doing "thread crochet" with it and I look forward to figuring out how she does that too!

Tonight I bought fabric to make elasticized seat cushion covers for my sofa, so I'll be bringing some of that fabric along to try out the "elastic foot."

I also picked up a beautiful sheer fabric to make a bathroom curtain...so I'm bringing a "practice piece" of that too....

BUT NOW FOR THE BIG NEWS:

For all my whining and carrying on...today I bit the bullet and put a lay away down payment on a new Janome Horizon 7700! I will not have it home until April according to what I worked out-- but I am buying it locally, will have shop support, one free service before a year is up and familiarization lessons.Eventually I'll buy the Felting Machine from them, and I'm sure they'll do a fair deal on that too. I feel good about the shop.

The lady explained to me that some dealers did not follow the sales protocol from Janome on that machine, so Janome raised their invoice/wholesale price to the dealers.

Honestly-- for 11 inches of harp space, automatic changing needle plate, measurement markings everywhere...plus all the usual same gidgy gadgets everyone else is offering....plus more come with presser feet to boot....and the way Janome has stepped up and stood by the machine--

I just felt that it was the best "All Around Package" in it's price range that could easily go 20 years into the future with me. I hear doing free motion work on it is real easy too.

So all told for the two machines-- it was 4999 + tax and I don't want to see another sewing machine for 20 years!!! LOL....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 1 Dec 2010 9:30 PM

I know it's been a while--- but here is an update:

I have taken two beginner classes on the Evolution Serger and can now thread it and set it up for overlock or chain- on my own and with confidence.

Because I am new to serging, I have had three learning curves so far.

One is being able to sew on a curve and not just straight.

Two is the presser foot sits so low even in it's up position...that I spent an embarrassing amount of time tonight trying to fugure out why there was no tension on my threads and tearing out cover stitching. (I was trying to hem some sweat pants.)

Three is- it just feels weird to not have a free arm when doing a hem.

This is all New Operator/ Being New to Serging issues. The machine itself is a dream. In spite of "ME" the machine is rock solid. Runs smooth. And I am happy to say--- when I finally got myself to cooperate properly with the machine (by lowering the silly presser foot..LOL), I ended up with a beautiful 3 thread cover stitch hem.

I am thrilled I do not have to pay a seamstress and wait two weeks to get my sweat pants back too!!

Now I will have no problem doing the other three pairs that are waiting for me.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Horizon 7700 is still at the shop on lay away, and I am antsy to get it home. But maybe this is good as it forces me to find things to do with the serger and learn it some more. I am also enjoying the camaraderie of meeting other sewing folk when I take a lesson.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Dec 2010 12:02 PM

Cool!  Keep going to those classes, and keep us posted, hpthecat!

Page 7 of 8 (112 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next > | RSS