Fusible web transferred photos

This post has 25 Replies | 9 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
alteredbyme wrote
on 26 May 2009 10:25 AM

Jody

Your transfers turn out wonderful. Thanks for adding a link for the video.I love finding new ways to do transfers.

Arlene

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 26 May 2009 7:26 PM

Jody.  I bought my first bottle of walnut ink at Michaels (in the printing section.  My next bottle I purchased at JoAnn Fabrics.  From a piece of freezer paper, cut out several shapes.   Lay some of the shapes on a background paper or fabric and spray walnut ink lightly over surface.  Let dry without removing the shapes.  Place addtional shapes over the background  with some partially overlapping the first shapes.    Spray again.  Let dry,  remove all of the shapes and look at the degrees of shading you have created with the walnut ink.  Your shape choices can create a theme on your fabric.....Jim D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 27 May 2009 12:38 PM

Thanks Jim.... I think I am heading to Michaels this weekend to seek out some of this ink and try the technique you mentioned above.

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 5 Jun 2009 12:54 PM

Jody, How is this project coming along?  I just love the transfer idea, and am going to try it.

If these were my designs, I would cut them apart and use each one as a part of a series of four.  I'd make smaller quiltlets out of them and then attach them to a larger background piece.  If you look in the mixed media gallery, Keyword Layers, you will find a couple of quilts that I have done this way.

When you layer a smaller quiltlet on a lager quilt, you open up all kinds of possibilities.  Layer rusted cheesecloth between and or over them.  Add color, and turquoise is a great color with rust.  I am guessing that there are remnants of the fusible exposed, and these areas will take nicely to PearlEx.

I have added embossed washers to some of my work with great success.  And for that matter, any scrapbooking metal embellishments embossed wondefully.

Have you considered collecting some stones, twigs, sand or other texture from the sites?  These can be added using Gel Medium.

You might also consider a sheer overlay on all or part of the images.  If, indeed, that fusible is still active, you could just fuse it.  If not, you could do the overlay, stitch through it using the design lines of the photo itself, then zap it to re-expose the original photo.  A coppery organza would be great for this.

I hope you post what you finally did with these.  You have a great start here.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 5 Jun 2009 4:52 PM

Thanks for the ideas Peggy. I will go take a look at the mixed media gallery. I still have this hanging on my design wall and keep changing my mind on what I am going to do. I have not nad a hige amount of time to work on it the past few weeks as I have been busy getting my yard going. The growing season is short and intense here in Alberta!!!

I will certianly post when I get it done.

Thanks again.

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 8 Jun 2009 3:47 AM

Jody, personally, I like the horizontal nature of this piece - Alberta is, after all, a horizontal place. 

Kathleen

gallery

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 8 Jun 2009 4:01 AM

I just watched the video and had an epiphany!  This is wonderful1

Kathleen

gallery

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 8 Jun 2009 10:37 AM

Katrose:

Jody, personally, I like the horizontal nature of this piece - Alberta is, after all, a horizontal place. 

You are right. A lot of Alberta is very horizontal and as you approach the western edge, its like the Rocky Mountains spring up from nowhere! Have you been to Alberta before?

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 8 Jun 2009 12:12 PM

No, but I have a friend who lives in Calgary and he's very good at description, as are you.  When you talked about people thinking the area flat and boring, it's like saying the land just lies there.  I think your piece shows the opposite - there's a lot going on, if one only looks for it.

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 18 Jun 2009 5:48 AM

These are wonderful photo transfers. I don't know if you have figured out what to do with them yet, but I am seeing an art quilt. Cut them apart from each other( keeping a border around the photo with  the rusted fabric) and arrange them on a background fabric or fabrics in a pleasing arrangement.  What you do as far as finishing it up with other creative techniques is what feels good to you. Several of the other posts had some great ideas.

marsha

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 22 Jun 2009 7:11 PM

Thanks Marsha.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I just got back from vacation. I have not done anything with these photos yet but hope to soon. Thanks for the ideas. I am taking them all in.

Jody

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS