Critter Stuffies

This post has 14 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 17 May 2009 5:12 PM

I don't have a subscription to Cloth Paper Scissors (I do have one to Quilting Arts), but I always check out the table of contents on line when the new issue is posted. I saw the Critter Stuffiies and I went to the store and bought the issue. I made a cat for my niece whose guinea pig had just died (she wants a cat) and I made a critter (of who knows what) holding a bouquet of flowers for my mom for Mother's Day. Both critters came out adorable and both were appreciated by their recipients. I think there will be more critters to make in my future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 20 May 2009 2:49 AM

Welcome.  I would love to see what you made.  They do sound adorable.  I am especially interested in the who knows what!

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 20 May 2009 6:23 AM

I just picked up the new CPS, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stuffies!  I can't wait to make one.  I can't wait to see yours too!

Cheryl

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 20 May 2009 8:03 AM

I knew I should have taken photos before I sent them off to their recipients... but I didn't. The "who knows what" is a female with a large head and big eyes with eyelashes painted on. I used frilly purple fibers for her hair and hand sewed it on. I made an arm and machine sewed it on with a bouquet of flowers (from a wedding party favor) sewn under it so that the flowers don't fall off. I forgot to make another arm , which kind of makes her strange. I painted her dress on and it has bands of hearts stamped across it. She ended up being about 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
on 21 May 2009 2:17 AM

My 12 year old saw the litte critters and fell in love with them.  She promptly went off and designed one for her friend out of recycled materials.  SHe loved doing it.    Her critter has one eye closed and is very cute.  She is designing more for the future.

Catherine Parkinson

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 21 May 2009 5:42 AM

I loved the stuffies, too. I found an adorable photo in an old National Geographic of a colorful little sea ameobae who looks for all the world like he's smiling, and he's going to be my inspiration for my stuffie.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 21 May 2009 10:02 AM

I love these little stuffies and I can't wait to design a few. When my 2 girls saw them they wanted me to make them each one right away! As they are cat fanatics, I think the stuffies will need to be cats of some sort.

Jody

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 21 May 2009 3:46 PM

I made felt monsters with my 6th graders this year. I also did it with my two kids. You are all going to have to share picts. I love critters. I make them all the time!

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 5 Jun 2009 11:01 AM

Can't say that I fell in love with the stuffies.  I could do without them, actually.  But the truth is, there is always so much material in the magazine, that I am willing to ignore an article that doesn't appeal to me.  Personally, I prefer a more sophisticated look, but I think there is room for everyone in the magazine.  No one is forcing me to read any articles that are not of interest to me.

However, having said that, I have always bought the magazine because of its "beyond the norm" look.  Things like the stuffies remind me of those crafts magazines geared to day camp projects.  As long as this type of craft does not become the majority of the offering, then I am willing to continue buying the magazine.  When it gets to the point that there are several articles of this nature, then I will probably be more judicious in my purchasing.

I guess I kind of feel that it looks like you just didn't have enough material of quality nature, so filled the space with a little artsy crafty project.  I think I am continuing to look for mixed media inspiration, which is what initially drew me to the magazine in the first place.

Even so, I would love to see what you all are doing with them.  Who knows, maybe I'll have to recant my statements.  :)

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Doxy_chic wrote
on 5 Jun 2009 1:44 PM

I just love these critter stuffies and am planning to make a mobile for my new nephew. It will be a nice break from the more serious art pieces that I usually attempt.

Diane

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 5 Jun 2009 10:11 PM

PeggyH, I understand your what you are saying.  I think that as artists we have such varied tastes. That can actually change depending on our mood and what project we are working on at that moment. There are often times I shift gears and try something new. Even if a project does not interest you, there might be an aspect or technique within that project that is useful to you that you can incorporate into a future project.

At the same time, there are others out there like me who have day jobs that involve children who find these projects useful. Some of us might be teachers or day care professionals. Some of us might work in retirement communities or are looking for art therapy inspiration.  We all take different things from the same magazine. I don't get the same thing out of Cloth Paper Scissors now that I do a lot more with fabric than with paper.  I go back to the old issues and revisit them since I glossed over the fabric projects back then when that issue came out. 

As artists we are also at different stages of our art journey. Some of us are more experienced and some of us are more newbie.  The articles have to keep that in mind as well.  You never know what you might be interested in if you have not thought of it yet. 

I am not an art doll person.  I don't do them that much.  I might skim the article and see if any of the techniques interest me and keep going.  I realize that I might not love every single thing in a magazine. Thus far though, QA and CPS are the best magazines out there for the type of art I do.

In actuality, I am not really a project type of person. I am horrible at workshops and following project directions. I am a technique person. I like looking at techniques for inspiration and then adapting it to my needs.  I do the same thing with magazines. I like to read the back story and then go through the techniques to see how it's done. 

No need to recant.  You have a very valid point.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ahyser wrote
on 21 Jun 2009 6:29 AM

Would love to see pictures of the Critter Stuffers.
Can you post them to your blog or point me to where they are on your blog. :)
Regards,
Amy
www.amyoh.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 115
smidgen wrote
on 1 Jul 2009 5:35 AM

I love making the stuffies! I would like to expand more on the idea so that I can have different designs for myself and in my craft room! I also think that they are great ways to use up scraps that you have in your stash of fabrics!

Never Stop Creating

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 28
on 11 Jul 2009 2:11 PM

PeggyH:

However, having said that, I have always bought the magazine because of its "beyond the norm" look.  Things like the stuffies remind me of those crafts magazines geared to day camp projects.  As long as this type of craft does not become the majority of the offering, then I am willing to continue buying the magazine.  When it gets to the point that there are several articles of this nature, then I will probably be more judicious in my purchasing.

I have to agree with you, Peggy.  When the issue with the stuffies on the cover arrived in my mailbox, I recall being being dismayed by the cover art choice.  I really do look to CPS and QA for presenting more cutting edge work and techniques.  And while I am a preschool teacher and will probably make some stuffies to accompany story books that I read to the children, I certainly wouldn't think of CPS to provide inspiration. 

However, just like you, I found plenty of other articles in that issue that continued to uphold the high standards of the magazine!  As a subscriber since issue 2 (after being blown away when i read the premier), I look forward to receiving each issue and it is still a "party" for me when it arrives!

Denise in Mendota, IL

My blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 14 Jul 2009 1:03 PM

Tim Gunn says "Chacun a son gout" (it's a matter of taste).  We're all going to be attracted to different things.  That's variety for you! I like the stuffies, and still plan to make one.

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS