Hi from Metro Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
vintagepix wrote
on 25 May 2009 12:53 PM

Finally signed up after seeing the post about the forum in Muppin's blog but telling myself repeatedly that I didn't need to find any more ways to waste time on-line! ;o)  I'm a procrastinating quilter and owe at least two throws as presents (but hope to finish them this year - really!).  I call myself a mixed media artist because I can't decide on one media.

I should mention that Quilting Arts magazine is probably responsible for my current addiction to Artist Trading Cards.

:o)

Carolyn Brady

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 25 May 2009 3:26 PM

Hi Carolyn -

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I read your comments about being a procrastinating quilter and not being able to decide on media, and thought that we may be kindred spirits! I love to experiment and try new products, but never seem to make anything larger than a very small placemat which makes trading cards and post cards right up my alley!

Happy procrastinating!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 25 May 2009 5:51 PM

Carolyn!  Welcome!  Glad to see you here!!  Can't wait for the trading card retreat in June we're going to!

Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vintagepix wrote
on 26 May 2009 7:50 AM

Hi Dale - Yes, I'm easily distracted by new techniques and the largest quilt I managed was sort of twin size, and after that I said "Nothing bigger than a throw from now on, thank you very much!" :D I admire the folks doing queen size and up, but  I love little tiny art quilts because I can get them DONE!

Carolyn

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vintagepix wrote
on 26 May 2009 7:58 AM

Hey Cheryl!  Yes, I'm very excited though I'm desperately trying to get quilted cards made for  June, but first have to finish cards for our local trade next Saturday.  I can't believe they're saying almost 50 people attending AFA!  Have to finish the charms I'm making for the goody bags too. (Needless to say there's not much laundry or housekeeping getting done here :o)

Must stop procrastinating on the interweb

:D

Carolyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Lesley@16 wrote
on 26 May 2009 10:05 AM

Hi Carolyn, 

I am also a procrastinating quilter, often finding other things to do rather than trying just one thing, I don't even get as far as the fabric stage.  There are sketchbooks but mostly bits of paper are all over the place with ideas and experiments all over them - often I find I have a shopping list with ideas all over it and lists of things I must experiment with.  I try to do two things at once when on the computer (I agree that it sometimes seems like a waste of time, where does the time go when you are online?)  I surf and do photoshop work together, sometimes it works others it goes completely wrong!  

I have just had in the post a copy of Melanis Testa's Inspired to quilt, a copy of Studios and a couple of other quilting/embellishing books, where to start? It must be time for a cup of tea and a read.

Happy procrastinating (call it thinking time instead)

Lesley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 26 May 2009 10:29 AM

I think any time spent being creative - whether in one's studio, one's journal, one's garden, or one's head - cannot be considered to be true "procrastination"! 

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 26 May 2009 4:06 PM

I would have to agree with Dale. I don't consider any time being creative as procrastination. If you can't sit, think, observe and dream how can you expect to have those creative bursts?!

Jody

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vintagepix wrote
on 26 May 2009 8:03 PM

Thanks, Lesley, Dale and Jody for "enabling" my procrastination :D  Seriously though I do need to make a push to stop thinking (and buying supplies ;o) and "Just Do It" as the ads exhort.  Umm... as soon as I clean my work area...and watch all the episodes of Quilting Arts on the DVR...

Carolyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Lesley@16 wrote
on 27 May 2009 1:14 AM

My apologise to Dale and Jody, if you thought I was knocking any creative thinking time, that was the last thing I was doing as I agree with you both.  What I meant was I am like Carolyn, I too need a push to get  going and  I also need to '"Just Do It" as the ads exhort.  Umm... as soon as I clean my work area...and watch all the episodes of Quilting Arts on the DVR...' (sorry to quote you word for word Carolyn but you put it exactly how I meant) 

I am sorry if you misunderstood me, put it down to me being from the UK. 

Lesley

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 27 May 2009 5:43 AM

I'm with you Lesley, I almost always need a push to get going...  Sometimes it is procrastination, sometimes laziness!  :)   Check out Melly Testa's Video Prompts on the Blogs tab above under "Interweave Author Blogs".  Right now, that's getting me pumped up for some new work.

Cheryl

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 27 May 2009 7:48 AM

Hi Lesley - I guess I should learn to use "LOL" more often! I quite often find myself doing something else when I would prefer to be in my studio. Yesterday, my across-the-street neighbour showed me an outfit she is making - she said "I can't always be working. Sometimes I need to be creative just to feel alive".  I guess we all are like that!

Happy "creative procrastinating"!

TADA / BC

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 27 May 2009 12:01 PM

Hi Lesley,

Don't worry and no apologies necessary. I did not think you were knocking creative thinking time. I too used to (and sometimes still do) think that I am wasting time just thinking and buying supplies instead of just doing it. I have actually been reading up on personality types and doing a lot of exercises to determine my personality type as my job with my company has been eliminated. The company is dedicated to finding me a position within the organization and want me to be happy in whatever role I take so they have suggested going through these exercises to help in the process.

One of my personality characteristics was labelled "Input". I collect things.... ideas, information, objects and not necessarily for any particular project or immediate need. The profile also said sometimes people with this personality need a little push to get out and do something with this information. I know I need that kick in the butt sometimes to get me moving.....but maybe I will just go gather a little more information and supplies to get myself started!!!!!

Maybe we need a small challenge to get us going.

Jody

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jo D wrote
on 27 May 2009 5:09 PM

Jody,

At work I probably  took those same exercises and also have input as one of my characteristics. I never thought to bring those characteristics home and see how that relates to my quilting as I too love to collect ideas and information AND I also need a little push to get to the doing.  Knowledge and learning are so much fun!  Oh, I am a learner as well, so I am eager for always more.   For some reason challenges do get me going and these forums are certainly challenging me in many ways!

Jo D

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vintagepix wrote
on 28 May 2009 4:49 AM

Well, I'm glad to see I'm in good company in my procrastination - oops - I mean "Creative Inputting"!  I've been doing one of those "Crafting 365" projects where I do something crafty every day, however small. So I count browsing a craft book, jotting down an idea, or cleaning my work area on the same level as working at the sewing machine for five minutes.

Carolyn

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS