NEw to you, best printer anyone?

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Colette10 wrote
on 28 May 2009 12:48 PM

HEllo, FInaly I found a place to post!!!! been looking for hours. I'd like to aska question to all or anyone on line or not.

Can anyone recommend the best inkjet printer for printing on fabric? I only have a laser printer for my computer so I need to purchase the cheapest one I can for only my fabric work...help!!!

Only Dead Fish swim with the stream.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Colette10 wrote
on 28 May 2009 1:28 PM

I would like to know too.

Only Dead Fish swim with the stream.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 28 May 2009 5:12 PM

I've heard wonderful things about the Epson R1900 and have been watching the price on the Epson website for a while. The next time it drops, I'm snatching it up.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 28 May 2009 7:39 PM

Welcome Colette!  I'm not sure, as I have an HP ink jet and laser printer both...  I don't use any archival inks yet, though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 29 May 2009 1:26 AM

I would likely say its as much to do with your fabrics and the process as the printer.   I have a Canon Pixma - purely at the time cos that one would fit on the table!!!  I always use the cassette feed, not the top loader, so I can't say if there's a preference there for how a machine takes fabric.  sometimes you need to change the setting of the print, ie select a different 'paper'  -  you might want to choose something which you know is thicker or stiffer, like a photopaper option, or an envelope option - it can make it print slower, so less chance of smudging, and I assume adjust the rollers grip to cope with something more than usual.

I don't buy the pre-prepared for printing fabrics either. I use whatever I want.  I've put them through as is - used Bubble Jet Set - and lately used Golden Digital Ground - I've not tried Inkaid.

Some people iron their fabric to freezer paper - or tape it/glue stick to a carrier sheet. - I tape mine down but only on the leading edge.  Dunno why, perhaps I didn't have the patience!!!  But I put through my printer, cartridge paper, brown kraft paper, watercolour, vilene (believe that's pellon in US), calico (muslin) lutradur, gold leaf bondawebbed to polycotton....

Try attaching small samples of fabric to one sheet and putting that through - that way you can see results, without using gallons of ink.

Have fun

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Nancy@225 wrote
on 29 May 2009 10:54 AM

Hi Colette;

I also use my laser printer. I have to either iron the fabric onto freezer paper or tack it with glue in the corners only and hand feed the papge. I have done this for at least 10 years before it was heard of. I see in the relies that someone else does the same. My HP Desk jet also works. Be careful that there aren't any threads on the sides of the fabric to get caught in anything. Has to be smooth sailing so to speak.

Good luck,

Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 30 May 2009 9:21 PM

I have been doing a lot of reading on the archival quality of inks. I have printed on several different ink jet printers and right not I have an HP Photosmart 8250 that is super simple to use and has relative inexpensive cartridges. However, I really want to get a printer that uses pigment inks versus the regular inks in most printers. Pigment inks are far more fade resistant and are archival.

My sister-in-law is a photographer and has a gentlement print her photos onto large canvases. He uses pigment inks due to their stabilitly. I have been looking around and hope to purchase a printer soon. I know Epson produces a pigment ink printer but have not had a chance to investigate it too closely.

Jody

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS