Quiltie Shape Challenge - June/July 2009

This post has 91 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 16 Jun 2009 7:56 AM

Thanks Cam! :D I've really become addicted to using brown paper to stitch with. It's really lightweight but once it's spray basted to a stabalizer or other quilt sandwich, it stitches like a dream. I usually use a size 90 topstitch needle with all different weights and types of thread and haven't had any tearing problems at all. Once it's been worked for a while, it takes on a soft, leathery feel. And because it's paper, it carries all the advantages of working with paper, like holding up well to paint, dyes, stamping, etc.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 16 Jun 2009 7:57 AM

Thanks Muppin. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 Jun 2009 3:17 PM

Pumpkin's person,

If she approves, then it must be wonderful!  It is so cool!  I love how you made use of the bags.  Great use of paper sacks. Thanks so much for the explanation.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 17 Jun 2009 7:21 PM

Great quiltie. I still have not even started on mine yet!

Jody

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 2 Jul 2009 8:35 AM

This was fun!  I love fish so the perfect quiltie shape was a fish.  I freehand drew a fish.  Cut out and fused all the pieces, sandwiched it all together, and quilted squiggly lines on it to mimic scales.  I finished it with a loose satin stitch.

I plan on attaching him to this background.  It was first marbalized with shaving cream and then sun printed with shells and rice.  The color is more intense than I wanted, but I think I can tame it with tulle.  I had fun making it so that's all that matters!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 2 Jul 2009 8:44 AM

He's a great fish! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
QE2 wrote
on 2 Jul 2009 11:07 AM

The little quiltie shape looks great, especially pops on the background.  Good job!

Elle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 2 Jul 2009 1:19 PM

Thanks guys.  I'm just having fun playing!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
Cheshire wrote
on 2 Jul 2009 10:04 PM

Hi Belinda and thanks for the challenge!

I’m a newbie to the website and forums (I only came across the fantastic QA magazine about 6 months ago!)

This has been such fun to loosen up! (Well, I started out loose and then kind of got caught up in the fun of the detail!) My quilt shape is a medieval shield.

I used vintage tie fabric, thin craft wadding and commercially printed fabric as my quiltie sandwich. I hand stitched on some gold ribbon then zigzagged the edges and enhanced it with hand quilting in contrasting thread, added some seed beads, a velvet Suffolk Puff and a vintage button. The Suffolk Puff held the shank of the old button beautifully. (Must remember that little trick!)

I'm thinking about adding a small beaded tassle to the point of the shield or maybe a shallow beaded edging all the way round. It's 5" (approx 13cm) wide and 6 " (15cm) long.

Approachable Art: I just love your little hummingbird! I am going to give those paper bags a go! Looks like fun!

Caren: That must be the sweetest fishie ever! He's gorgeous!

Cheshire; smiling whilst dancing to the beat of my own drum...........

www.puddleduckfarm.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 7:36 AM

Cheshire- It's WONDERFUL!  Thanks for sharing it.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Jul 2009 8:16 AM

Goodness, so beautiful and all that great beawork!! Nice job!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
claynfiber wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 8:51 AM

Wow, these are all wonderful! Thanks for posting them all, including your great backgrounds - I'm inspired!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Jul 2009 9:42 AM

Caren, I love the fishie!  Great detail in the sewing.  I love how the background contrasts against the fish.  Wonderful background.

Belinda

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Jul 2009 9:43 AM

Just so all of you know, my comments will be limited for the next few weeks. I got rear-ended a couple of days ago and my time online is limited.  My back and neck are in a lot of pain and I can't be on the computer for long periods of time.  I love everything that is coming in but can't type for very long.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Jul 2009 9:46 AM

Cheshire, medieval shield is so cool!  Very detailed!  My 6th graders would love this since we study this time period.  Great contrasting colors. What is your background going to be.  So, how long have you been doing this exactly?   You must be an old pro at all this. 

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Page 2 of 7 (92 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS