Quiltie Shape Challenge - June/July 2009

This post has 91 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 10:12 AM

Belinda,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident.  Give your body time to heal.  Now the question is how are you doing your art and school work?  School is important!  I would wither with out my art.  Good luck and speedy recovery.

Whidbey

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
claynfiber wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 10:23 AM

Belinda, take care and hope you're feeling better quickly!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 3:13 PM

Belinda - I hope your back and neck improve quickly. Been there - done that - twice in 12 hours. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Jul 2009 3:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. Good thing I finished my article and mailed it out the day before.  Talk about timing.  I am just going to take it easy for awhile.  Thanks again.  I will still be reading things.  Keep up the fantastic artwork.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Cheshire wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 4:27 PM

Thanks for all your lovely comments!

Belinda, I've dabbled with embroidery for lots of years! but have only been making art quits for just over 12 months. I feel like I've 'arrived' with this medium because I can incorporate so many other skills and even print my paintings out onto fabric to embellish and turn into art quilts!

Haven't really thought about a background - maybe a series of them framed in rows on red velvet?

Sorry to hear about your rear ender - I'm a great believer that things happen for a reason... So, maybe it's time to give your self a little rest? Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheshire; smiling whilst dancing to the beat of my own drum...........

www.puddleduckfarm.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Jul 2009 9:10 PM

Belinda, nooooooo, so sorry to hear about your car accident!! Please take very good care, rest up and let your loved ones care for you until you're back on your feet! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 4 Jul 2009 12:05 PM

Belinda, 

Big cyber hugs just sent your way!!!

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 5 Jul 2009 4:00 AM

Oh, Belinda, I'm so sorry.  Take rest and when you're better learn lots of lovely stretches from a good phys therapist.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 6:23 PM

Take care of yourself Belinda. Even when you start to feel better, take it easy. My husband was in a motorbike accident last summer and even when he started to feel better he would find he had setbacks if he tried to push himself for too long.

Hope your whole summer isn't spent recuperating!

Jody

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
QE2 wrote
on 6 Jul 2009 8:32 AM

Ouch!  It might be a good time to lay back and study cloud formations for inspiration, Belinda!  8^)

Take care!

Elle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 8 Jul 2009 9:19 AM

This may not qualify for your challenge as I made it this spring prior to the issuing of the challenge.  It started out as a sample I made when demo-ing heat gun techniques at quilt guild.  I had created the center piece  which is a layer of batting, a piece of failed hand-dyed fabric and a layer of organza over top. 

I stitched the organza on with intentional pleating (see my article in QA issue 23, Fall 2006).  Then attacked the piece with a heat gun.  Eventually I cut the little quiltlet into this square (geometric shape?), bound it,  and layered it onto the background that I first quilted.

A few beads have been added.  This is number four in my Layers Series and I call it "Tree"  (Organic?), as the quiltlet is quilted with branches. The "trunk" (another square, geometric) is a free-floating piece of discharged fabric.  Commercial beads on the trunk are attached to a hand made bead of lutradur from another project that was just hanging out waiting for a use.

I have several smaller quiltlets that I have treated like this: Make the quiltlet first, then add it to a larger background.  It's a fun process, and allows me to use up small samples of different techniques.

In the picture it looks a little wonky, but it is actually nice and square and flat.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 9 Jul 2009 7:53 AM

PeggyH, I love all the textures and colors that you have going on. There are definitely a lot of geometric shapes going on there. I have no problem including it in the challenge since you recently made it.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 14 Jul 2009 12:51 PM

Oh Peggy, It's great!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Cheshire wrote
on 14 Jul 2009 2:46 PM

Hi Peggy!

This is gorgeous! The background looks like a wild deep sea and the 'tree' reminds me of an aerial view of the earth! I love the contrast.

These little ones are great fun aren't they?

Cheshire; smiling whilst dancing to the beat of my own drum...........

www.puddleduckfarm.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
cazms5 wrote
on 17 Jul 2009 8:55 AM

OK...here is my contribution to the Quiltie Shape Challenge.  I wasn't even thinking of the challenge when I started working on this.  I had randomly sewed scraps of fabric onto batting and, not knowing what else to do with it, I cut out heart shapes.  I thought the hearts had a crazy quilt kind of look to them so I decided to embellish them with beads and embroidery...my favorite thing to do anyway - hand embellishment.  This is the results for one of my hearts.  I have four of  them which I will try to incorporate into a larger project.  But, in the meantime, they fit the guidelines for this challenge so why not use them!     - Melissa S.

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS