Ink-Jet Printing on Lutradur -- how to??

This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 21 Jun 2009 2:41 PM

I am thinking about getting some Lutradur and I understand you can print on it using your ink-jet printer.  Do I iron it to freezer paper or what?  Can it use thinned down paint and paint before printing?  I hope some of you have experimented with Lutradur and can give me some hints.  Yes, I know that there is a book on Lutrador, but I don't need a book for what I want to do.

Thanks!!!

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
on 21 Jun 2009 4:05 PM

Hi Marti,

I am not exactly experienced using Lutradur, but I have used it after watching Leslie Riley's workshop on DVD.  There are at least 2 ways I know of to print on Lutradur and both work really well. 

1.  Paint an 8.5 x 11 sheet of Lutradur with a light coating of gesso and let it dry completely.  Make sure the finished sheet doesn't have any rough edges and simply put it in your printer.  I actually put a light wash of acrylic on the sheet before printing some text on it, but you could put transparent paint on it after printing.  You could also print photos, etc. on this sheet.

2.  The second way is to prepare the sheet with a coating of gel medium and one again making sure it has dried completely before printing.

There are several other ways to use Lutradur for printing which result in different textures, quality of print, etc.  I would suggest you get Leslie's DVD (I think it is only $9.99 through QA. 

Good luck,

Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 21 Jun 2009 4:23 PM

Thanks Ginny.  This project is getting more and more expensive, and I haven't shopped yet.  I think I will have to do what I want on fabric and leave experimenting with Lutradur for another time. 

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 22 Jun 2009 2:35 PM

I've had a bit of a play with Lutradur and the printer.  It depends on which thickness you are using, the thicker one can go through the printer as is (providing its the right size of course) - otherwise attach to a carrier sheet, I normally just attach the leading edge with sellotape to the usual printer paper.

However, my experiments reveal that yes, you can print onto 'naked' lutradur, but its not stable.  Just putting a damp finger on it will have the ink run.  You can buy products to treat fabric before printing.  I've got a trial set of Golden Digital Ground.  I've used both the clear and white on lutradur and it works fine, in fact compared to my naked experiment it really makes the colours pop, and it doesn't come off.

As with everything, we all need bags of time.... and money, to play!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 22 Jun 2009 2:50 PM

Thank you for the detailed information.  I do want to experiment with Lutradur sometime in the next few months. 

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 892
Muppin wrote
on 22 Jun 2009 8:48 PM

Oh man, Lutradur and a printer?  I'm going to have to get busy playing with that one!

Cheryl

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 86
riverart wrote
on 23 Jun 2009 10:49 AM

Funny that this topic should come up.  I just bought some Lutradur.  I'm working on my experiment ideas now.   I bought the book and there are some really good ideas in it.  One being TAP(Transfer Artist Paper) so I guess I will be getting some of that as well.  It seems as thought the options are limitless for coloring and altering it.  This may get out of control, since I think I will get some inks to add to the experiments but then I really liked the paint sticks too! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 892
Muppin wrote
on 24 Jun 2009 5:38 AM

I know what you mean, Riverart.... it is all so addicting!  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sharon eley wrote
on 22 Jan 2013 1:53 PM

Use both. Any scraps, make greeting cards or post cards.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 226
ckquilter wrote
on 27 Jan 2013 5:18 AM

hi marti

there are other ways of using the lutradur too. one of the nice things about it, is after you cut it, the edges are already stable (not gonna fray) without having to treat them in any way (so lots quicker than using fabric ).

it makes wonderful dimensional leaves - especially after lacing it (lacing is running a heat /embossing gun over it, which causes holes. the more heat, the more and bigger holes.     painting the lutradur first will prevent it from lacing - so that could be used to control shapes.

i love the effect of lacing the lutradur first. then paint it with a transparent paint mixed with superfine glitter. let dry and cut out any shapes desired - right now i am hooked on leaves.   they give a great effect when attached with dimensional branches - so far i have used yarn and sheer ribbon, torn strips of sheer fabric, and thread wrapped cording.                       the thread wrapped cording was used for the branches of a white tree - with white sparkly laced lutradur leaves. all on a dark blue background, with a crescent moon.   i hang it on the living room wall in the winter - and because the daylight hours are short here,  i added white lights to the tree.  the light's cord is also white, and the battery pack is hidden on the back. the lights are wrapped around the branches, and the mini lights are tacked to the leaves.     with the lights off, you don't even notice them unless you get real close and look real hard.                  but with the lights on - the effect is magical - especially on our long winter nights (now that the christmas lights are gone).                                       ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pam.beatty wrote
on 9 Sep 2013 12:12 PM

Sounds Beautiful!  Can't wait to try.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS