Doea anyonehave any experience the Fab-U-Motion by Inspira

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 28 Jun 2009 4:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I am ready to delve into the world of free-motion stitching.  I'm inspired to start with some thread sketching as noted in Kelli Perkins' AMAZING workshop DVD Stitch Imagery (I highly recommend this DVD).  When I was at my sewing machine store today my wonderful instructor/guide introduced me to the Fab-U-Motion by Inspira.  I played with it a little and found it very easy to work with.  I really think it will help me ease into thread sketching/painting.   I'm just curious if anyone out there has any advice/experience with the Fab-U-Motion you can offer.  I'm not interested in the version with the stitch regulator - just the "basic" model.  Thanks everyone for any opinions/advice you can offer.  (I don't know if it makes any difference - I have a Husqvarna Quilt Designer II.)

Cheers,

Sally

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 28 Jun 2009 7:52 PM

I've got one on lay-away right now, I have a couple of payments left on it. I. too, played with it in the store and enjoyed it. Mine will have the stitch regulator, but i don't know how much I'll want to use it.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 28
on 4 Jul 2009 4:40 AM

Sally, You will LOVE the Fab-U-Motion!  I bought mine at a Stitches and Craft here last year. (did phone hubby first to tell him I was in need of such a fine piece of engineering - it helps to appeal to the gadget mentality in him!!!)  It is such a simple design, but makes free motion sooooo much smoother and frees up that tension between the shoulder blades you get when time is ticking away and you don't notice how uncomfortable you are getting till it is too late!  I find it most useful on medium to large projects - anything only just bigger than the "hole" is a bit harder to manipulate as you have to concentrate on holding work in the right place, but just as I'm writing this, I wonder if you just lightly taped the edges to the top plate that might solve that problem.  I will go and try that tomorrow and let you know how I go.  I do a lot of thread painting and so it gets a good work out as I do fairly dense stitching, usually filling in every millimeter of fabric.  Good luck, Barb.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS