Scrapbooking and other specialty stores are a good source of supplies!

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 2:16 PM

I am lucky to have two scrapbooking stores in my area .  In those  I have found decorative brads, bling letters (http://www.americancrafts.com/category.php?id=29), Glimmer Mist (http://www.mytatteredangels.com/shop.php?cPath=25), high-end brand ink pads, and some great rubber stamps.  Note on Glimmer mist:  it will run on fabric if even a drop or two of liquid gets on it, so I sprayed the fabric with Scotchgard to protect it.

Texas Art Supply is just down the street and are a source for Jacquard fabric paints, Pearl-x powders, other high-end fabric paints,  high-end ink pads, rubber stamps, and more.

I am also lucky to have a bead store nearby -- they carry beads that the chain stores don't have. 

Not too far away is a needleworking shop:  she carries pearl cotton in size 8 and also some high-end embroidery threads.

Of course, the local "big box home improvement stores" are a source for many studio supplies:  sandpaper, metal shears for cutting thin metal, dowels and paint (to hang quilts on the wall), blue painters tape, and other useful items.

I try to shop in local shops and stores as much as possible (including quilting fabric two quilt shops and two other fabric shops carry high-end fabric and supplies) and only order off the internet when either the local shops don't have what I need, or I know for a fact that I will not be able to find what I need. 

So where do you get your art quilting supplies?

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 29 Jun 2009 5:14 PM

LOL, sounds like I get them from the same places you do... ;) (I'm also from Houston)

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 6:09 PM

Judi, But probably not the same exact stores as I don't think we live any where near each other.

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 6:25 PM

If anyone is on Vancouver Island (and I think I may be the only one), there is a great "scrapbooking/ stamping store" in Lantzville - lots of stamps, inks, pens, embossing powders and wondrous, magical things that are suitable (or alter-able*?*) for fibre art. It's worth the trip to Lantzville - and if you don't find what you want, it's only a ten minute drive to Michaels.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 29 Jun 2009 8:44 PM

marti:

Judi, But probably not the same exact stores as I don't think we live any where near each other.

Marti, I was in Texas Art Supply on Montrose just this past weekend. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 8:51 PM

Judi,

My Texas Art Supply is in the Baybrook Mall area.

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 10:14 PM

Great to find out that others have found fun local places for art quilting supplies. 

I have a few quilting friends that go to local thrift stores and purchase high-quality wool clothing and make their own felted wool.  Wool isn't just for folk-arty quilts and crafts!

Marti in Houston, Texas

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
QE2 wrote
on 2 Jul 2009 10:17 AM

I'm from a very small town out in the boonies.  But we do have a scrapbooking store.  I see I'll have to investigate it some more.  I do have to go back as I bought a tool kit and I need to know what I bought and how to use it!  :D

Elle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 7:30 AM

I don't know how you stay out of those places on a daily basis... they're so conveniently located close by!  In the past couple of years a Hobby Lobby store opened near us. I had been unfamiliar with those stores, but happily they are full of interesting supplies useful for art quilts. Yesterday I found a half-price clear acrylic palette in the artist supply aisle and an ink/paint brayer in the stamping/scrapbooking aisle. I was shopping for items required for an online class and found everything I needed, and more. There's a fabric area with all the necessary stablizers and yarn aisles, too. A fun place to browse.

There is also an annual Craft and Hobby Expo being held in a city about 2 hours from here. I usually attend quilt shows, but I'm thinking that this may offer up a new world of art quilting ideas and supplies. There's a bus trip going to it, so I may give it a try. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS