Hello from Savannah, GA

This post has 5 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 17 Jul 2009 5:53 AM

I am just retired French teacher from Savannah, Ga. I have enjoyed embroidery and quilting for years, Now I have more time to spend learning and creating.  Learning new techniques, perfecting old ones, and sharing ideas are why I am here.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 903
Muppin wrote
on 17 Jul 2009 6:43 AM

Welcome, summersoulstice!  We're glad you are here!

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
manapat wrote
on 20 Jul 2009 1:42 PM

Hello sumersoulstice.  I am also retired...although not from something as fun as teaching French.  I have quilted since 1976...of an on.  Recently have been making more contemporary quilts then traditional.  Although I've tried embroidery, I am not very good at it so use it now more for embellishing.  What kinds of quilts are you interested in? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
jo goranson wrote
on 21 Jul 2009 2:38 PM

I am lucky to belong to a group of contemporary quilters! We meet at the Textile Center (a wonderful place) the 4th Monday of the month. If you want to see some of what we do go to our website www.minnesotacontemporaryquilters.net. Since you love embroidery, you might like a book I just came across (I took it out of the Library, then loved it so much that I bought my own copy). It's called New Canvas Work, creative techniques in needlepoint, by Jill Carter ISBN 978-0-7134-8975-0. I think you will be amazed at what she does. Another book I just took out of the Library (you can tell I have a degree in English, can't you?) is a book called All Beaded Up by Machine, by Terry White. She also wrote Thread Painting made easy. Since I am The Thread Lady I am always interested in books that do different things, not just with thread, but ribbons, embroidery thread, etc. I teach couching and bobbin drawing in my classes and I am always looking for new ways to use embellishments. I was so impressed with that book that I went to her website and ordered "The Beadle" and her CD Beading by Machine. I am just getting set to watch it now. I hope you have fun in your retirement learning and crafting. I'm not yet retired (I run my own business from home), but my business is quilting, so I'm not sure I'll ever retire. I love trying anything new, so I am anxious to actually see how Terry puts the beads on. The book is wonderful, but I learn better from watching. Have Fun!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
clrfast wrote
on 22 Jul 2009 9:09 AM

Welcome.  I am retired to, in a different way.  I am in Daytona Beach, Florida and relearning how to piece, applique (which is my favourite) and quilt again.

Kim

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 23 Jul 2009 7:45 AM

Thanks for posting the link to your contemporary quilters' group! Fabulous work!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS