Which issue is your favorite Cloth, Paper, Scissors?

This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 3
aliogator wrote
on 30 Jul 2009 8:44 PM

Hi all!  I just found out that Interweave is having a sale on all of their magazines and I want to know which issues were your favorite so I can order some.  I am having touble deciding.  I have issues 13 through 25.  Thanks in advance!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 30 Jul 2009 10:13 PM

I couldn't tell you- after being a subscriber for a few months, I treated myself for my b'day and bought all the back issues I didn't have. LOL I've loved them all.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 30 Jul 2009 10:46 PM

I am not just saying this as someone who was an original subscriber to Cloth Paper Scissors, but as someone who experiments a lot.  As you grow as an artist, your tastes will change or will grow.  What you do may change or you may want to do something else for awhile. What I do now is not the same as what I was doing a year ago or two years ago.  What interested me in CPS now might not have interested me then.  What I might have skimmed or skipped over then because I was not doing then might be of interest to me now. It is interesting how CPS is a reference source for me.  You never know what might be of use to me tomorrow or the next day.  That is the curse of a technique junkie like me.  Even though there are things that I go back to all the time, I always love to try new things.  What might be old news to you might be something entirely new to me. 

So, to answer your question, I can't tell you which one is my favorite because they all contain something useful and/or helpful to what I do in my art.  They all have tidbits that can be used in what I do.  I go back and flip through them all the time.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 31 Jul 2009 7:41 AM

I agree with Belinda. I started buying CPS on a regular basis (yes, I SHOULD get a subscription!) about three years ago, but I had purchased Issues 4 and 5 when they were published. Issues 4 and 5 were interesting, but not my cup of tea at the time and I didn't buy any more issues of CPS for a while. When we moved to our new house, the two issues were relegated to the future garage sale boxes, where they remained for 2 1/2 years. I rescued them and added them to my bookcase a couple of months ago, because now they ARE my cup of tea. I usually have at least one issue of CPS and QA within easy reach - because I enjoy re-reading them so much.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 28
on 31 Jul 2009 6:11 PM

As a subscriber from year one, I have every issue and would be hard pressed to ever give them away because, as mentioned earlier, you can find something of interest in every issue, even years later.

But I have to say that the first issues are my favorite if for no other reason than I really started experimenting in earnest with the Premier issue of Winter 2004..  I played with these techniques after reading that issue:  altering photographs with Karen Michel; Fabric Paper with Beryl Taylor - I still have some pieces left from nearly 5 years ago; Lesley Riley was an instant favorite!; and my first introduction to Lutradur by Virginia Spiegel.

Issue 2 brought fabulous painted and embellished felt by Dale Rollerson - introduced Xpandaprint medium; Maggie Grey became another favorite artist with bonding tissue paper to felt and then painting, texturizing, and embellishing it;and my local art group tried our hands at altered pears and bras after reading those articles

Issue 3 introduced me to transferring photos with Lesley Riley and the delightful work of Traci Bautista...Issue 4, 5, 6.  well I could go on and on. 

I've discovered that I've played with at least one to three techniques from every issue during those first couple of years.  I fell in love with CPS and all the wonderful artist contributors whose work graced those pages.  My advice: get whatever your wallet allows - they are all great!

Denise in Mendota, IL

My blog

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
thegrita wrote
on 1 Aug 2009 2:43 AM

Just this winter was my first exposure to CPS a friend who does quilt art sent me 2 issues from the winter and oh boy it was not what I thought it would be. I had somehow imagined it was scrapbookers on speed or something, and being only into fabric at the time was not to interested. Welll I am glad I was wrong and after reading thoose two issues I think I will subscribe and get it as well as QA that i have subscribed to for a couple years.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 3 Aug 2009 9:18 AM

I also have to agree with Belinda.  I have all the CPS issues from the get-go, and they and my QA magazines are the only magazines I have kept every issue of.  I constantly refer back to them all the time. 

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 26 Aug 2009 9:05 AM

I also refer back to both CPS and QA frequently.  Asking which is my favorite is like asking who is your favorite child?  LOL

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS