In need.

This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 10:30 AM

I have been making a new lil thing, dolls really, and am in need of some supplies that are not as easy as I would have thought to obtain. Match sticks (wooden) with different colored heads-red is the norm, but I seek turquoise, blue, teal, brown. Any different sort of colors really. If you have any, can we think up a trade? :)

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 11:15 AM

I have blue, white and turquoise that I would love to trade but unfortunately it is illegal to send matches through the mail. Got any ideas?

Love Playing and collecting

Please send me to my room!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MargeC@3 wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 11:54 AM

I have a small box of about 20 with white -cream colored heads.  These are about 2 inches long.  Any use for them?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
colorific wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 2:54 PM

I have red tips with white at the tippy top. If there is a legal way to send them, just tell me where to shop and I will look for you. I'm a "mom-taxi" driver.

-s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
colorific wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 3:13 PM

They must not be illegal to ship. They are sold online. Out of curiosity, I looked and found Wagner who makes colored matches and Match Fancies (http://www.safetymatchpremier.com/promotional-matches/products.php) They give out random samples, free. Perhaps you could get lucky! :) I used Google web search "buy matchstick colored heads".

-s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
colorific wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 3:16 PM

Ok. I really need to step away from the computer .... But! Check this out. And, this has more.

-s

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 4:02 PM

Never thought of the mail aspect of flammable things! Would dampening them make it all better? I don't need them to work, I just want there purdy lil tips! I don't know about giving an Indian company my mailing address, that seems like a recipe for spam and junk mail disaster. 

Addicted to making the lil things though, so let me do some research.

I do have some hand dyed embroidery flosses I could trade.

Melanie Testa<--my art

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 11 Aug 2009 6:43 PM

Cool - I thought they would be considered hazardous materials. I;m up for the trade. There was a time when all restaurants and hotels extc. gave out match books and boxes but I guess those days are over. Maybe check out cigar stores, they may have some great ones!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 12 Aug 2009 3:28 AM

Just curious... but is there any reason why you can't just paint the ends?  Don't even need to use a paint brush, just dunk in the paint. If necessary gesso first, to get to a base colour which will take a true new colour.  Can't see why acrylic paint wouldn't work...

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 12 Aug 2009 4:47 AM

Someone is always thinking. After wetting them, it would probably reduce the flamability too. Wouldn't want your piece to go up in smoke!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 12 Aug 2009 4:52 AM

Unbelievably fabulous designs. Thanks for sharing the site.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 12 Aug 2009 5:03 AM

Yeah! That match art site is fantastic. People are crazy in what they think to do! I love it.

I did try dipping sticks in paint yesterday. It will take alot of dipping to get the lil chunk of tear drop and I won't get that matte finish the matchsticks have. It is an option, but I think I would like to stick with matchsticks. I can't wait to show them. Today I purchase a dremel tool and go to Ikea to see if they have cheap shadow boxes that might work. I wish we had a local crappy craft shop.

It is fun trying to make due with art supplies though. I was trying to figure out a way to create frames using household trash...

Melanie Testa<--my art

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 12 Aug 2009 8:21 AM

We have nothing for 75 miles except Wal-Mart.  I find fun things at the local thrift shops that support a church or animal shelter. One woman's trash is another woman's treasure!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Susu65 wrote
on 12 Aug 2009 8:28 AM

You may find some at Goodwill, or Salvation Army stores. I found some shadow frames at Family Dollar that were Asian themed but I just took them apart. The frames are waiting for a project, but the contents were great for embellishments on journal covers.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS