Quilted petticoats

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kate XXXXXX wrote
on 26 Aug 2009 7:30 AM

Anyone know of a site or book with actial quilting patterns for 18th C quilted petticoats?  I have several books showing pictures of extant garments, but not stitching patterns as such.  All help gratefully tucked away for future project!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 26 Aug 2009 4:03 PM

Hmmm, outside of a historical costuming pattern or company, I don't know if books about them would still be in circulation.  There's some lovely photo examples of them by typing "18th c quilted petticoat" into the Google machine... Looks like you can make up your own pattern from a period source pretty easily. Also, some of the high end books on costume design or fashion through the ages may help.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kate XXXXXX wrote
on 27 Aug 2009 3:35 AM

I have loads of reference pictures and books with great illusrations...  I'm hoping to avoid having to draft the actual quilting pattern mydelf!  A graph pattern taken from an extant garment would do, but I'm hoping someone can help me find an actual quilting pattern I can use.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 27 Aug 2009 6:50 AM

Kate-

I have a feeling few patterns were published in the period.  Many of the more intricate patterns were to show off your handwork skills, or that of your tailor that you could afford.  I've plenty of costuming books from my days in the trade, but no patterns for the quilting on the petticoats, and most books just show you plates of what the costume should look like w/o the fashion pattern either.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kate XXXXXX wrote
on 27 Aug 2009 7:05 AM

This is what I'm finding...  I'm hoping that one of the re-enactors that have done this has either published a quilting pattern or a scale drawing...

The best I've come up with so far is to buy several different plastic stencils and tile them up to cover the borders and possibly a motif for the centre front.  The trouble is that I REALLY want to do this, but have limited time and not a lot of hand strength and mobility right now: I have fibromyalgia, and it severely limits what I can do by hand.  OK, so I may be bonkers to think of doing this at all, but if I WASN'T boknkers, I'd never have got into historic costume making in the first place!  :D

Hey ho!  If we never dreamed, we'd never do anything.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS