Abaca tissue

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 11 Oct 2009 11:19 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about ABACA tissue?  I bought some and also some Oliver Twist Experimental Packs that have Abaca tissue, very beautiful stuff but I wonder how others use the tissue, can it be gotten wet, can you use gel on it, etc?  Wonder if anyone has any pictures posted on the gallery that have Abaca tissue used in the work?  Thanks, Linnet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 12 Oct 2009 2:08 AM

Hi - treat it just like a fabric.  You may have come across it under different names, take a breath, I've seen it listed as:  LX paper, LZ paper, Lens tissue, Repair tissue, Conservation tissue, Spider Tissue, Tarantula tissue, Tissuetex.  I love it so much I have a roll of it....

One of its main properties is what's called a high wet strength.  Normal tissue paper when you wet it just disintegrates - abaca tissue doesn't, in fact that's how you can dye it, just like a fabric.  Obviously if you're rough with it it will tear, but you don't need to be so precious over it.  I use it as a surface like a fabric, add to things scrunched up, put it through the printer (attached to another piece of paper for support), put many layers together and painted with acrylics and made a new more solid 'fabric', made laminated 'sandwiches, used it as a fine papier mache..   Have a play... it has the benefit of being like a lightweight fabric at the same time as being paper, so just try ideas that you'd use with either of those products.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DeborahB@60 wrote
on 12 Oct 2009 12:00 PM

You've sold me on Abaca tissue...where would be in the US get a roll of it?  Or if there is anyone out there who would like to split a roll, email me, Debbie Bein, dbein@hvc.rr.com, I'm in Poughkeepsie, NY, USA.  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 12 Oct 2009 8:21 PM

Thanks, FibreReaction for all the help!  It really is beautiful and after I had written my question, I came across uses for Abaca tissue in a book about making silk paper.  I got my Abaca from Q.A.'s Interweave store, you can buy it by the piece and also the Oliver Twist Experimental Package has a big piece of Abaca, several silk rods, a handful of really great threads, and great handful of silk fibre and a small coil of wire, all hand-dyed in a great selection.  I also wonder where in the U.S. a roll could be gotten and what price, amount on the roll, etc.  For the lady who is looking to share a roll, you can try it first by getting a piece from Interweave, just click Shop on the home page and look under mixed media, I think.  The colors are exquisite and it looks like fine silk paper, hardly like tissue.  Inquiring to Interweave might find a source for a roll, maybe?  Thanks, Linnet.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DeborahB@60 wrote
on 13 Oct 2009 4:49 AM

Thanks, Linnet, I will try that....I didn't mean not to sign my name to my reply....this is all new to me!  Debbie Bein, Poughkeepsie, NY

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 13 Oct 2009 9:17 PM

Hi Deborah, you DID sign your letter, it is my ineptness with the computer.  I hit reply to Jill's letter, so it was her letter of information that was on my page as I wrote and I didn't know how to go back to the forum to get your name without losing my letter.  I hope you try the Abaca, it really is beautiful.  I imagine a roll would be un-dyed but it is just what I needed, it sure stitches nicely.  Also, I went to Jill's blog, click on it on her letter above your first one and you will see such things of beauty, you won't believe it.  (I think it is called a blog, see, I already forgot.  Website, maybe?)  I am computer illiterate!  Thanks and have fun, Linnet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 13 Oct 2009 9:20 PM

Hi Deborah, see I got the names wrong already.  Don't mind me, just look at the websites for these artists and you will find so much inspiration.  I hope I can remember my husband's name when he comes home from work!  Linnet.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DeborahB@60 wrote
on 14 Oct 2009 5:33 AM

Lovely stuff, yes, I NEED some!  Will have to get on that, I'll post what I find out.  Debbie

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS