Goddesses - Embellishment update

This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
papercoyote wrote
on 24 Oct 2009 11:40 AM

Hi all - back in July I asked for your help on a trio of art quilts I'd been working on. I wasn't sure if they were finished or if I needed more embellishment. I took your advice about stepping away from the work and then looking at it fresh - I understand now that I was tired of working on it but that it definitiely needed more embellishment. So I took a break and made a few gifts for others, and when I came back to them, embellishing the quilts went fairly quickly. I'm very happy with the outcome, but then things look different once they're hung up. Here's the original post of the work in progress: http://www.quiltingdaily.com/forums/t/1636.aspx

I've hung them now on the wall above my bed, (see below) but I'm still not sure if they're entirely finished. What do you think? Is there anything you would add? I had been considering fibers and feathers hanging down from the branch on the far left and right of the 3 quilts, or possibly tags or something hanging from the bottom, but the longer I go looking at them on the wall, they are starting to look more finished. the photos can also be seen on my Flickr site with notes added about the materials used. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/papercoyote/sets/72157620983247443/)

I'd love your thoughts again on this project - Thanks! -- Michelle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 25 Oct 2009 9:36 PM

Hi Michelle,

These look great and I think they have turned out well. While I tend to be a minimalist at heart, I feel as though these need some bead fringe or something hanging from the bottom of them to finish them off (kind of like you find on some pillows). Nothing too heavy or overpowering. I am thinking light and dainty. I don't know what you think of the idea, but just something to consider.

I love the colour by the way and the piece of wood they are hanging on.

While this comment has nothing to do with the quilts themselves, I would probably bring the hanging level of the quilts down a little closer to the bed. It would anchor the quilts in the room a little better. Right now they just seem to be floating. I know there is some sort of rule as to how high you are supposed to hang photos, etc above beds/sofas but have no idea what the formula is. I am sure there must be something on the internet.

Jody

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Chrisart wrote
on 26 Oct 2009 12:18 AM

You have done a wonderful job of these. But I agree they need to be lower to the bed, or have something hanging on them to connect it, and make it appear bigger in the large space of the wall.

congratulations.

wrote
on 10 Dec 2009 4:07 PM

I think it is beautiful!!! But the wall and the bed dwarf it. Take some inspiration from HGTV decorating personalities to make it appear larger.

If you want to keep it over your bed, you need to make it appear larger, as a focal point. You could paint a large area of the wall in a beige/taupe color to frame your art, I might even paint a frame in black around that ... Shorten your hanging rod by about 6" on each end to help give your art piece a larger verticle impact.

To help give it a larger vertical impact, a beaded fringe (as suggested) would be great especially if you did them in 'V' on each one maybe 6" at the point... tapering to 1" at the sides or the 2 end ones could have a shorter fringe and the center a longer one.

Beth- Near Chicago

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 23 Dec 2009 11:25 PM

I think they are great but I agree they are a little high on the wall.  Just an idea, but if you have any left-over fabrics, you could stitch two LONG, narrow lengths of fabric and drape one over each end of the branch, letting the ends just barely reach the bed, or maybe half the way.  After adding some fringe as suggested in the other comments, I think this would lower the project into a better perspective in your space without having to actually move the branch and make holes in the wall.  You could just try it with any long scarf first to see how it looks, but that truly is all I think it needs is to seem to be hanging lower, to even out the space.  The work itself is wonderful.   Maybe some small bells to anchor the strips, or maybe a ribbon with bells tied every so often hanging down instead of lengths of fabric, just something on each end that extends down further than the bottom of the work.  Linnet

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 24 Dec 2009 8:49 AM

They look lovely with the wall color, and the texture and shape added by the wooden rod is a plus. I agree with other comments about the height. To keep it simple, I'd suggest first hanging the piece lower. Then, rather than trimming the wood to make it shorter, instead add some purchased drapery tassels in a deep rust or burgundy... one to each end. I'm thinking that's all that would be needed to get the proportion and impact more balanced. Maybe some type of finial at the end of the wood also... it would help to "end" it in a finished way.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
lje2117 wrote
on 27 Dec 2009 7:04 PM

Hi, just wanted to add that this is a beautiful and inspiring piece! I really like the way that the colors and textures work together to give the art piece continuity, while still offering the eyes a lovely view of the piece from each perspective-excellent work! I have found through the many years of making art I never feel "quite finished"- I just work on it for a while and then stop to give myself a break on a project, sometimes not returning to it for months at a time, then viola-after enough time passes, a fresh look often provides the idea that seems to allow me to finish it up-and then consider it finally finished...(as much as any of my work can be, as I am always second guessing!) I found out that there is no one right/correct way to call it a "completed piece", as there are many workable options and materials that would look great-as can be seen by the ideas that are offered by so many talented people here! I think all of them are great ideas. Perhaps incorporating some metal beads and  creating a type of fringe off the bottom of the sections all sound really good to me too.  I am interested in which ones you decide upon! Can't wait to see what you decide!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mariecookie wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 5:51 PM

I love the look of your quilt. I think the size is fine. the tree branch does not relate to your piece try a wooden rod and larger lamps in same style  if you leave it over the bed. lowering the piece it self will add to the size in your  mind. there is a large space all around the hanging which your mind tells you the hanging is small. Keep up the good work.   Cookiemarie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 9:40 PM

I love all of the lace on these pieces.  I just bought a bag of handmade lace and doilies at my guild's rummage sale.  Can't  wait to use them. 

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 321
on 18 Jan 2010 9:46 AM

They look great, congratulations on finishing! I think you struck a really nice balance with the embellishments that you chose: not too many, not too few. They very effectively convey the message of these pieces.

Hanging artwork is always difficult. I'm never entirely sure what the best height is, though I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 18 Jan 2010 5:44 PM

the branch hanger is very rustic - but the wall hanging is much more elegant. they don't relate very well together.

my preference for hanging height - is place the center of the hanging at eye level.  and then adjust slightly if needed.

i agree that the hanging could be moved further down - right now it looks unrelated to the bed. or it could easily have additional elements added to the bottom. They would balance out the hanging tabs on top - and help fill the space more effectively.              ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS