Challenge: Found Object Stamping/Printing (Jan/Feb 2010)

This post has 20 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 24 Jan 2010 6:14 AM

Here is a new and fun challenge to start off our new year. I spent a couple of hours doing this yesterday for part of a series that I have been working on for the past month.

All you really need is some solid colored fabric, fabric or acrylic paint (if you are not going to wash out your fabric), brayer or foam  brush, found objects, flat surface, and a drying surface. 

Tips:  Use found objects with broad lines or things that make larger negative spaces. It is harder to create fine lines with paint.  Don't glob on the paint, apply more of an even layer that is not too thick or too thin so it will be enough to get on the fabric to create the shape.  Lay the fabric on a hard, even surface to get crisper shapes.  If you are going to stamp in different colors, wait for one color to dry before stamping with the other color or your colors may muddy.  Do not use fabrics that already have a pattern or it will obscure your stamping.

Challenge rules:

1.  You can enter as many times as you like. You have to have a separate post per picture. Please have your name attached to your pict as well.  A brief description of found object used and about your experience is welcome.

2.  You have to reply in this specific forum message post area and not post the picture in the photo gallery only to qualify for the challenge.  That is because I count the number for the winner from the posts in this forum and not from the photo gallery.  You are welcome to post the picts in the photo gallery in addition to posting here.

3.  The idea of this challenge is to use found objects in your stamping. Please do not use commercial stamps.  Found objects are things that can be found around your house or lying around in the street, garage, etc. They are everyday items.  They are repurposed for stamping on the fabric. 

4.  You have until Sunday, February 28, 2010 to post your challenge picts. I will pick 3 winners using the random number generator.  Winners will be posted early that week. Come back to see if you have won!  Winners will receive a goodie bag from me with all sorts of fun things!

I used dyed muslin, Lumiere paints, and end of a lipstick tube.

lipstick tube and a big, plastic salad fork

salad fork and punchinella

End of a spool of thread and potato masher

different sized punchinella holes, bubble wrap, and palette knife marks

flowers were made with the tip of a palette knife.  I used leftover muslin that I had used for dyeing for various projects.

Have fun and remember to have something underneath your fabric while stamping and drying. The paint may bleed through your fabric. 

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 26 Jan 2010 12:01 PM

sounds like fun, I can't wait to start.

caren

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 29 Jan 2010 5:41 PM

Someone emailed me and asked me for detailed instructions on how I did mine, so here it goes...

I used dyed muslin that was leftover from other projects. I used Adirondack Color Wash and some misc. fabric dyes from other projects.  Some were colored because I put whatever I was working on at that time on the muslin and it soaked through.

Supplies:

solid fabric such as muslin - don't use something patterned or you will compete with the patterns you will be making with the stamping. If you do choose something with patterns, it should be faint or not too contrasting.

Fabric paint  - I used Lumiere. You can use acrylic paint if you are not going to wash the fabric. It should be heavy body and not fluid acrylics because you need a little bit of body for the imprinting.

found objects/household items

paper plate

foam brush

Something to cover your table or whatever surface you are working on and a drying surface for your fabric.

Flat surface for stamping.

Instructions:

1. Lay your fabric out flat.

2. Squeeze out paint onto paper plate. Take the foam brush and apply a liberal layer of paint on found object.  It should be a thick but even layer. There should be no globs on any specific areas.  Once you get going, you can dip the found object directly into the paint and scrape off the excess.  Imperfections in the stamping is part of the charm.

3.  Stamp your object with paint onto your fabric in random patterns.  Reapply paint as needed. You can get one or two stamps with each application. I usually reapply paint after each single stamp.  When you have achieved a happy pattern. Set aside to dry. Tip:  If you want to use multiple colors or patterns on a single sheet of fabric - let each layer dry first or your colors will mingle and muddy.

4.  Repeat steps until you are out of fabric or paint. Use found objects in different ways to get unique patterns.

Have fun!

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 903
Muppin wrote
on 1 Feb 2010 7:51 AM

Belinda- I'm in!  I'll have mine up by the weekend!  :)

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 1 Feb 2010 5:33 PM

Ok....Here is my entry!!  I tried several things, but I really wanted to do shoe prints!  So I took my youngest daughters first pair of tennis shoes (Istill haven't gotten around to bronzing them! and she's almost 6).  I applied black paint to the bottoms and "walked" across the fabric.  I tried the mouth of an old fashioned cola bottle for circles, but the paint was too thin.  Then I took red paint and used the opening of a medicine dropper to make circles.  Then I drizzled the thin brown paint and used an old toothbrush to make splatter!  I had recently been talking about Polluck with my oldest child, which influenced me!  I used seta a color and jaquard paints.

Here is my pixs.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 26
on 2 Feb 2010 6:09 AM

This sounds like fun.  Since I'm new to this sort of thing, I think I can even do this.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 2 Feb 2010 7:49 PM

I recently made some batiks with found objects.  Will you accept these as entries?

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Feb 2010 10:51 PM

Caren, so cute!  I love the little shoeprints.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 3 Feb 2010 10:51 PM

Janet, yes, of course.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 15 Feb 2010 11:12 AM

Hi, Belinda.  I used tone on tone fabric as my base and the Valentine's Day decorations around the house as my stamps.  I have acrylic paint that I mix with textile medium. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 15 Feb 2010 11:21 AM

Hi, again.  Okay, this time I used the bottom of a glass coaster, candle holder and small bowl to make flowers.  This is fun!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 15 Feb 2010 5:39 PM

Wow!! this is great!!

don't stop!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Narimasu wrote
on 16 Feb 2010 10:55 PM

Love how the coaster stamped! Great idea! Great find!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 17 Feb 2010 11:57 PM

Ranchquilter, I love the idea of using the Valentine's Day decorations as stamps. How very festive!  I liked how some of them are just outlines and some are filled in.  Any idea what you are going to do with this?

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 17 Feb 2010 11:59 PM

Ranchquilter, very cool flowers. I love the pattern that you got from this.   That came out really well.  Love, love, love the overlapping.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS