How entertaining!

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 26 Jan 2010 11:54 AM

I am so looking forward to this new challenge.  The only problem...narrowing down the possiblities!

caren

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 26 Jan 2010 2:44 PM

We're glad the challenge sounds like fun to you, Caren! We can't wait to see what you come up with...

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 321
on 27 Jan 2010 12:55 PM

I know what you mean, Caren. I have a couple favorite TV shows at the moment, but I'm still brainstorming had they could be translated into quilts. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 27 Jan 2010 6:05 PM

A quick copyright question, without giving anything away!!!  If you use a piece of printed media, such as:  tea bags, movie stubs, cards, or other labels and tags.  Does that violate copyright??? 

Caren

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 28 Jan 2010 4:25 AM

Hi Caren,

I hate to say it, but we'd need to have a look before we could answer. Having said that, we try and stay away from anything that could be considered a violation and prefer original art. For instance we'd never publish anything that had Disney logos... we just don't want Mickey slapping us with a lawsuit. ;)

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Not Ranked
Posts 6
owlwoman wrote
on 28 Jan 2010 3:18 PM

I think the question here relates more to Trademark Law rather than copyright.  The reply would hinge on transformation or the transformative use of the item or how much and in what matter  it "supercedes the use of the original work". Parody is one aspect that comes up often in copyright law for literature.  It gets a pass on being a  transformative work.  The other aspect is the commercial impact of the work - for us as individual artists, if we do not sell the work, the transformative value weighs much heavier.  If QA wants to print a picture of the work in a magazine they sell they have to weigh that tranformative vs commercial a bit differently and acceptance of our work becomes their call.  I suggest anyone interested in this topic do some searching in literature and on the web with keywords: trademark, copyright, fair use, transformation or transformative.  Unfortunately there is not firm rules, just case studies to guide.  [There are times the mouse could be used under fair use in a transformative way but no one wants to be the test case - too expensive!]

Jennie

(the librarian in me speaking up)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
Twister2 wrote
on 16 Feb 2010 10:29 AM

This is going to be a tough challenge. I know what I would like to use but how do I convey that without violating copyright laws? I hope to interpret the feelings or symbolism of a favorite TV show, without getting too specific. It will bring out the artist in each of us! I will be checking back here alot to see others questions and answers on this.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS