drift wood

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 22 Feb 2010 9:39 AM

I do a lot of sea inspired quilts.  I have sea shells often, but I was wondering if small pieces of drift wood could be used as embellishment.  If so how would you prepare the wood to be used.  I know I could use thread or small wire to ahere it to the quilt,  But does it need to be coated in anything?

Caren

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
ckquilter wrote
on 23 Feb 2010 2:15 AM

hi caren

ocean themed quilts are a lot of fun to make.

drift wood makes a great embellishment. the organic forms are wonderful. i have used a larger piece as a hanger, also.

putting a finish on driftwood - would depend.how long do you want the piece to last? years, or decades??

unsealed wood contains acid - and over many years will eventually eat away at fabric. but if you just want something to last 10 or 20 years, you would not have to do anything to the wood. driftwood - by virtue of its having been submerged for so long, may not have much acid left in the wood anyway.

if you needed it to last many decades, then you would want to put several layers of sealer on it. probably a matte finish varnish would be most in keeping with a natural finish.    you could also use a spar varnish (used to finish wood for boat building) - but that is usually a high gloss finish, and may not be what you want.              you could also paint the wood - but again, that would change its appearance a lot.       ckquilter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 23 Feb 2010 7:08 AM

Good morning,  I use small pieces of driftwood on my quilts.  I use a fabric glue to adhere the pieces.  The driftwood and small shells add a great touch to the quilts.  Peggy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 24 Feb 2010 3:52 PM

Thanks for all the help.  Yes, I love sea quilts, there's an endless  array of ideas.

Caren

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS