The Art in Fiber

This post has 50 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 5 Mar 2010 7:41 AM

Just wanted to let all of you know about a gallery exhibit in Texas.  The Copper Shade Tree Gallery in Round Top is hosting a juried art quilt exhibit.  Several of my friends and I are driving the 4 hours it takes to get there on Sunday.  I can't tell you how excited we are to be traveling to see 100 art quilts!  For those of you who can't go, the gallery has put all the quilts online.  Go to this site:  http://www.coppershadetree.com/selector_detail.php?selector=grouping&selector_id=af

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 8 Mar 2010 10:08 PM

I hope some of you are following this post!  I learned something very important while I was at the Copper Shade Tree.  For this year's competition, the gallery required the participants to mount their 10"x10" art quilt onto a 12"x12" stretched canvas.  The results are spectacular!  The pieces have greatly appealed to the consumer because of the ease in fixing this to a wall -- it is more like a painting.  Our method of sleeve and stick has just seen better days.  The stretched canvas looks much more professional and you also then have the option of decorating the canvas.  Some of the artists in this show wrapped their stretcher board with material, others painted the canvas as part of the quilt, still others both painted and stitched on the canvas so that it was an extension of the quilt.  I think this is a very important and innovative technique which deserves attention.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Carole wrote
on 8 Mar 2010 10:32 PM

were you able to get any photos of the exhibited pieces as an example?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 9 Mar 2010 6:36 AM

Carole, One of the other women had her camera.  I'll check with her and see if she took pictures which will show the mounting.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
ReginaW@8 wrote
on 9 Mar 2010 2:01 PM

I would like to see photographs of these exhibits too.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
ReginaW@8 wrote
on 9 Mar 2010 4:26 PM

I was also wondering how people attached the quilt piece to the canvas  - do you think it was tacked on with thread or glue?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 9 Mar 2010 5:06 PM

Yes, some were stitched, glued and then one used velcro which was awkward.  Some took tiny little stitches.  Others machine stitched to the canvas, then stretched the canvas across the stretcher boards.  If you go to the gallery web site listed above you can sorta see the canvases.  I am trying to get some photos.  I'll also contact the gallery.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 10 Mar 2010 8:30 AM

I've been mounting my work on Artist Canvas for quite a while.  As the majority is covered up by fabric art, I don't find a need to buy the expensive ones, as I'm not using them to paint on direct as a painter would so I don't need the quality in that sense- so it can be a very cost effective way to mount work, as lots of these "factory shop" type outlets sell them.   Sometimes I glue, and sometimes I stitch in place, although a painted canvas can be tough at times to get a needle through - so if you leave an unpainted void, its easier. 

I come from the embroidery side of things... though I do a lot of stitching in layers and on paper!!!  But part of the reason also to mount on a canvas is that should a buyer want to add a frame themselves they can.  My taste in frames might not be someone else's and its an expensive process.  Plus I like the simplicity of just the canvas.   And, should you choose, the more expensive artist canvas can also be bought as circles, ovals, triangles and hexagons!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 10 Mar 2010 10:12 AM

Thanks, FibreReaction, for the info. I'm going to do some shopping tomorrow before I buy on-line.  I really don't want to spend lots of money on this.  However, I do want that professional piece results which I saw at the gallery.  I'll get some photos posted when I get something completed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 10 Mar 2010 1:15 PM

I've not really found a problem using the cheaper ones, but do look at the backs, see if there is enough support for the weight of your piece, larger canvases have cross struts.  Plus canvases come in varying depths too, but you might find cheaper ones only in a narrow depth.  I usually paint the canvas regardless with acrylic gesso, slightly watered down, remember, need to get a needle through it!!  If I want it white, then I'll add another layer of gesso, but if I colour it, then I use a layer of acrylic paint. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 79
Lana Book wrote
on 12 Mar 2010 8:04 AM

I was at that gallery for the fiber art show. It was my second time there for the fiber show at the Copper Shade Tree. There were beautiful pieces displayed. The Copper Shade Tree is so wonderful about promoting fiber and quilting arts. I met some great artists and came away inspired to take my fiber art to the next level. The small community of Round Top is a welcoming respite from our hectic lives.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 12 Mar 2010 8:58 AM

Lana, I was at the 1550 Gallery in Ingram yesterday.  Did I see some of your pieces there?  Your name rings a bell.  Also, Copper Shade Tree has extended the Fiber Arts show through March.  It is well worth the trip.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 79
Lana Book wrote
on 12 Mar 2010 7:26 PM

Yes, I do have some pieces at the 1550 Gallery. Thanks for making the connection. It is really nice to communicate with people who have a shared interest. I love the Round Top area. Perhaps we were at the Copper Shade Tree at the same time. I was there for the opening reception. We may even live in the same area. I live about 6 miles from the gallery.  I would love to see your work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 13 Mar 2010 6:59 AM

My friends and I were at Round Top on March 7th.  It was my first trip but one of our number was reared in the area.  I was amazed by the quality of the galleries.  The Copper Shade was tops.   You and I are practically neighbors.  I live 10 miles north of Doss in Mason County.  So I'm about 50 miles from the 1550.   Some of my art quilts are on-line at this site.  I'm really trying to get a body of work together and then approach a gallery.  That is pretty scary.  Do you have any tips?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
on 18 Mar 2010 7:08 AM

Hi, all.  I finally have the photos which I promised.  I purchased several stretched canvases.   I painted two of them with acrylic paints to compliment the art quilt.  I tacked the quilt to two layers of felt, then tacked the felt to the canvas.  I have wrapped a third canvas in silk and that is pretty great.  However,no photos of that yet.  Tell me what you think .

This canvas was almost the exact size of the quilt.  It is painted a flat black.  This method gives the quilt a very nice presence on the wall and it pops out from the canvas just the right amount.

If I continue to mount my art quilts like these I will pay much closer attention to the size of each art quilt!  It was difficult to find canvas in the sizes with I had made these quilts.  A few snips or passes with the rotary cutter could have solved that problem long ago.

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS