wearable arts and sustainability

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
deborah joy wrote
on 25 Mar 2010 10:17 AM

hello, i work in the sustainable fashion field and see how well these concepts can play together. Sustainable fashion is about fiber choice, environmental concern and ethical consumerism as opposed to the fast fashion marketing that overwhelms us . Art by nature is fairly indy and expressive and reFashion (aka  upcycle and recycouture) is both.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 25 Mar 2010 11:27 AM

I am 62 years old and have been using scraps and such all my life.   I have grown to have a hatred for the ads on TV telling everyone that we must HAVE certain things.  Yes, I have been rejected by people for wearing old items, BUT I have also been accepted for it more times than not.  I love re-doing old garments.  I made a coat for my 2 year old granddaughter from one of her mother's old coats.  It was great...just put decorations where a hole happpened to be.    I find it more exciting to use leftovers than to cut into a new piece.  I love the creaticity of people like you.  Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 321
on 25 Mar 2010 1:22 PM

I once made a sweater out of all the old sweaters I no longer wear. I cut them up, patched them back together, and wound up with something I will actually wear. Using leftovers can really bring out your creativity!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
deborah joy wrote
on 26 Mar 2010 6:25 AM

thank you for the reply.

The mindset of the American consumer is so off track with the "real world" we know now because of better science. However this is at odds with the  old paradigms.

Fashion can  disempower that old mindset and do it with style.  Everyone out there walking around in a refashion is celebrating the human creative spirit and is part of the re-balancing. ( and when buying new clothing or fabric ask about the fiber content  and the labor conditions)

It would be nice to see a photo of your work and maybe post it to the  Fashion Ethos blog.

http://fashionethos.blogspot.com

thank you for being part of the change,

deborah

Not Ranked
Posts 3
deborah joy wrote
on 26 Mar 2010 6:41 AM

Love that.idea

Photos ?  Check out http://fashionrip.blogspot.com

for the fashionRIP Project which uses recyCouture and reFashion garb as part of the arts installation i am working on.

All our little changes add up; i just want to encourage a faster pace as  it is a matter of health- being an acceptable risk doesn't promote good energy.

thank you for replying and i love your pippapatchwork tag,

deborah

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Donna_Bell wrote
on 4 Mar 2011 12:32 AM

I absolutely love the outfits in the photo, especially the one you have on, I feel the same as you about the tv ads, I'm praying for the younger people to become interested in sewing and useing their God given inner creativity.

Instead of listening to the T.V. for fashion, for gifts to give ect. I told my family at Christmas that we were having a home made Christmas and that is what I did I made everyone something. and that made it so speacial instead of going out and just buying a bunch of stuff. My daughter was ecstatic.

I too am 62, keep up the good work. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
JadePrincess wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 10:54 PM

Don't let the snotty people bother you Mary. It is nice to buy a few new things but our society is overconsuming, going into debt and pushing the latest this and that all the time. If people can't see who you are then they aren't worth having as friends. Lots of folks swim in the shallow end of the pond and judge people by image. But to that I say, it takes more than a new suit or nice dress to make a lady, ladies are made FROM THE INSIDE. Keep on being creative and marching to your own drum. We have enough mindless shopaholic zombies already!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KimberlyF@2 wrote
on 18 Apr 2011 12:15 PM

Upcycling clothing is fast becoming a new "trend", but for some of us, it has always been a necessity.

I agree that advertisements and magazines often try to convince us of what defines style...but I am glad to be of a mind to determine what defines style for me. 

After years of having to dress for the corporate world, I am now able to wear the art pieces that I design, sew and embellish.  Some of these pieces are even upcycled, embellished corporate wear!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS