Fabric paint comparison

This post has 23 Replies | 17 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 226
ckquilter wrote
on 7 Sep 2010 11:07 PM

i guess you could paint it - but how about some other ideas??

if you wanted snow - you can get sparkle paint to go over the branches - it paints on cloudy, but dries clear - and thenjust leaves a sparkle. but it does make the fabric much stiffer. so i don't paint it unti l i am all done sewing and quilting.

if you want a foggy effect, just lay the tulle over the top - free motion stitch to hold it in place where you want the effect - making sure you get the outer edge of where you want the fog to be, and then just trim away any tulle beyond the outer edge. if you stitch it free motion, you canmake the shapes as detailed as you are willing to trim away.  you can also use 2 or more layers of tulle to make areas farther away even less distinct.  and if you are gonna embroider over the branches anyway, adding stitching in the background will help minimize the distortion heavy sewing in just one area can cause.

you could also capture angelina under the tulle, in areas, to give sparkle to the snow.      ckquilter

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 8 Sep 2010 9:02 AM

You might try pouncing with a stencil brush and paint. That is what I used on my piece for the Rock On! challenge piece "Knight in White Satin" http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/p/2744.aspx Dinah Tackett of Roswell, NM.

It seem to work well for the piece and I could control the level of coverage easily. I use a Shiva Paintstick in white and a stiff stencil brush to make the fog effect.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ann wilson2 wrote
on 21 Nov 2010 7:51 AM

I don't know if anybody will reply to this or not, as it seems these posts are older, but I too have a question about the paints.  I read all the replys and am still confused.  I do not wish to sunpaint.  I want to try some art quilts where you paint to enhance, add shadowing, or to paint faces,.  I do not want the hand of fabric to change too much and want to be able to quilt through it.  I would like the opiton of doing details or do you need to use something else for that (color pencils ?). Would they wash out ?  I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different kinds of paints.  there is nobody in my area that has classes or anything on this so I am venturing out on my own. I here a lot about Jacquard paints, then read about setacolor, and paint sticks, etc.  There are different kinds of Jacquard paints, but which kind would be best suited for my purpose.  Ok its obvious I am in a dilema.  Advice would be appreciated.  Thanks, Ann

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 21 Nov 2010 10:26 AM

Hi Ann, actually, for detail work and shadows you would probably be better off with Tsukinecko inks or the ink pens.  The faces on this are ink.  They don't change the hand of the fabric, set well with heat and are easy to quilt through.

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 28 Nov 2010 5:41 PM

Ann, I've been there.  Not much of that happening here either.  Here's what I did.  Go to jacquardproducts.com, they explain what each of their paints do and what fabric to use on.  Also, VERY IMPORTANT, go to Youtube.com, they have dozens of instructionals.....sometimes you have to revise your search.  also check all videos that show to the right of screen that will come up. Lots of these other videos are connected.  Hope this helps.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 4 Dec 2010 11:27 AM

Hi all,

I've been reading all the posts and find it very interesting. I use Versatex screenprinting inks. I was trying to make a sky fabric years ago and couldn't find the color I wanted. I had some leftover Versatex and used it to paint with. I love it because it is so easy and doesn't change the hand of the fabric very much. I mix colors and thin with water.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 5 Apr 2011 4:13 PM

Hi CKQuilter!

I've been researching the different brands of fabric paints and I came across this thread which has been very helpful - thank you everyone!.  In reading what you wrote below, I wanted to be sure I'm understanding right.  I'm interested in painting on linens, fine cottons, and fabrics for quilts.  I will be painting a lot of things such as roses/flowers, angels, people, etc.,  Would you still use the dy na flow paints for this or what do you mean by "...you will need to do it differently - as these paints will diffuse across the fabric..." - are you meaning the dy na flow paints will diffuse too much?  If so, which one would be best for my type of painting?   I thank you very much for any extra advice you can give. ~ SomeoneWishin 

<.....if you want to paint people or flowers - you will need to do it differently - as these paints will diffuse across the fabric.

to summarize - i prefer to have just 1 kind of paint - but need several to do the different things i want to accomplish. i like the dy na flow best - because it changes the hand of the fabric minimally - and i can paint yarn and thread with it also.   and if it will sun print - it will be what i buy in the future.....>

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 226
ckquilter wrote
on 5 Apr 2011 5:35 PM

hi wishin

there are several styles of painting fabric. 1. painting for watercolor type effects - like skies and water. where you want soft edges,

and the colors to run together

2. painting like on artist canvas. faces, flowers, defined shapes with distinct edges.

the second style of painting is gonna require a lot more control over how the paint moves. so you are gonna need either a thicker paint;

which will change the hand of the fabric more than a thin paint (like dy na flo - which is almost like an ink or dye). you could use dy na flo;

and the applicators available for tsukineko ink - and wipe off most of the paint onto a scrap; and then what remains on the applicator

will not diffuse too much. you will need to build up the color intensity in layers, probably; depending on how dark you want the color.

using a regular paint brush and dy na flo will not give crisp edges - unless you add a thickener. the paint is too thin and will flow across

the fabric.

you could also use tsukineko ink - and the same process.

both dy na flo and the ink will not change the hand of the fabric (very very slightly). but the fabric will remain very flexible and very easily sewn

thru or quilted thru.  both will heat set well.

both are transparent, and colors can be mixed right on the fabric. any color/texture on the fabric will still be evident through the paint/ink.

except for the ink - several colors - the white and metallics are opaque.

you could also add paint thickener to make it less watery - i don't have any experience with them.so someone else may be able to give

you more info there.

i have used both, and like both. but i also like to sun print - and the dy na flo will do that also; so it is my first choice; as that way i only

have to buy one type of paint; and can do many different things with it.

i am not as familiar with the ink on fabrics other than cotton. but i have used the dy na flo on fabrics of many different fiber contents - and

because it is paint - not a dye - it has worked well on everything so far (including polyester, rayon,nylon, silk, cotton, linen and blends of these)

and i don't consider it done until i have put the painted piece through a regular washer/dryer cycle. in fact, i don't heat set any more - too

labor intensive and time consuming.  i just let the fabrics dry, and then sit for a week. then throw everything inthe washer.

if i was just doing one or 2 special pieces - and did not want to wash them or i did not want to wait a week for the paint to cure-then

i would still heat set with an iron.

there have been other responses to the paint questions - and some have given links which have information and tutorials. it would be

a good idea to spend some time and look at some of them. and you will get more info/ideas. and may come across one that directly

relates to how you want to use paint.                 good luck                          ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 5 Apr 2011 7:22 PM

Hi CKQuilter!

Thank you so very much for all the valuable info!  I will spend some time looking through the links and learning further about the different inks and paints.  I really like the dy na flow characteristics except for not being able to get/control crisp edges when I want them, but as you said, I can always use a thickener, so will try that.  I do want want to keep the fabric as soft as possible though.  Maybe I will try two or three brands of inks/paints out in their primary colors to see which ones I like best.  You have helped immensely and I appreciate all the knowledge you've passed on here. Thank you again for all your help! ~ SomeoneWishin

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS