new emag

This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
raven333 wrote
on 30 Jun 2010 7:10 AM

I bought the new e-mag yesterday and downloaded it last night.  It took about 30 minutes to download and Norton checked it out to make sure it was ok to run on my computer.  After installation, the mag opened immediately and was so easy to navigate.  I love being able to see a project actually being done and being told about it as it is worked on.   This makes it seem like I am in a private class but I can go at my own speed, back it up and see a step repeated as many times as I need to.  I really like this format and am so glad I bought it.  It will definitely help get me started on those days when my creative muse seems to be on vacation.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 30 Jun 2010 7:30 AM

Raven,

Thank you for your feedback!

Best,

Pokey

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 1 Jul 2010 12:26 PM

I downloaded it last night and had a quick look again today! FABULOUS!!! 

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 1 Jul 2010 3:19 PM

We're thrilled to know you're enjoying it. Thanks for your feedback!

Helen Gregory
Editorial Director for Interweave's Quilt, Paper, & Sewing Group

Not Ranked
Posts 6
watercolor2 wrote
on 2 Jul 2010 2:15 PM

I, too, bought the new e-mag... In Stitches.... and being new to downloading, I am stuck!  Help!   I have gotten as far as getting to "Downloads" but then I click on "run"....and it goes to "installing ...."   - then it wants me to download   ADOBE AIR!   I have Adobe 9.... won't that work?   It seems I have to go with Adobe AIR..... what does that do to my existing Adobe 9? and does it costs me?    Then what.    Any help will be greatly appreciated ! ! !

Not Ranked
Posts 2
raven333 wrote
on 2 Jul 2010 4:16 PM

ok, take a deep breath and let it out slowly.  You are doing just fine.  This is exactly how I downloaded it and it worked.  Let it install and let it download Adobe Air.  I have Adobe 9 and having both was no conflict.  It doesn't cost anything extra.  Do remember where all this installed on your machine though in case you need to find it for some reason.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
maraw3 wrote
on 5 Jul 2010 6:10 AM

Hi, I bought the new emag last week - more out of curiosity about the new technology than anything.  In general, I like digital magazines and books as I live out of the US, so it is much cheaper (and saves resources!) if I don't have hard copies of things shipped around the world.  I like the emag, especially the videos embedded in the pages.  But, I have a few concerns:

1) The price vs value.  I think $14.97 is too expensive for a single issue emag with only about 9 different articles, even one that utilizes new technology and has lots of embedded videos.  It's a value thing - compared with regular magazine subscriptions, and subscriptions to video sites like The Quilt Show, this is quite expensive.  I suggest either drop the price, or include more articles.

2) The method of delivery.  It's not practical to have a magazine that is delivered in a 320MB file using an executable file.  First, the file is just too large.  I realize you want people to be able to view it offline, but STILL......I've not downloaded a file this big ever for any purpose, as far as I know.  At the very minimum, you should offer an option of a "shell version" that is a small file, but which must be viewed online to get the video content.  The only people who need fully executable files are those with bad internet connections but it would take them about a week to download a 320MB file so I doubt you will solve their problem with this format!  Second, the file should not be self executable.  It is too difficult with today's firewalls etc for people to download such a file.  Also, for myself, I like to read ebooks and emags when I am traveling for business for my "nightly downtime" in a hotel.....but I cannot download a self executing file to my work computer as this is controlled by my company. 

I hope these comments are useful and that you might consider them when planning a second issue.

Cheers, Mara

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ValerieL2 wrote
on 5 Jul 2010 3:06 PM

I agree that the price seems steep for an emag.  I liked a lot of the articles--but I really would like to print out some of them and I can't.  This doesn't make me happy.

Am I just missing something?  Should I be able to print out the articles?

Sincerely,  Valerie L

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 6 Jul 2010 5:44 AM

Dear watercolor2,

It looks like raven333 has answered your questions. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly:

hgregory@interweave.com.

Enjoy!

Helen Gregory

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 6 Jul 2010 5:47 AM

Dear Valerie,

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that there are aspects of the eMag that you can print, but since the videos/ images are embedded, it's meant to be viewed on screen/ online so you can take advantage of all of the features.

Helen Gregory

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 6 Jul 2010 5:50 AM

Dear Mara,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We will certainly take all feedback into account for future issues.

Best regards,

Helen Gregory

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS