Sales Tax on Etsy

This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 25 Aug 2010 4:02 AM
Good morning everyone, I was just rearranging my quilts on Etsy and noticed a new addition to my page about sales tax. Etsy is revamping the checkout procedure and if you want to add sales tax to the shipping for each purchase you click on the button and check the state where you live or the country, then add the percentage of sales tax and then submit the information. Super easy. A couple of months ago there was some talk on the QA site about how to go about charging sales tax on Etsy. Now, Etsy has made it super easy.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 25 Aug 2010 7:10 AM

Thanks for the update Peggy!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 79
Lana Book wrote
on 6 Sep 2010 5:23 AM

Peggy, thanks for the update on the sales tax question for Etsy. I've been thinking about putting some things on that site. Have you found it to be profitable to you and easy to use? Because I have never attempted it, it seems a little overwhelming to me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 6 Sep 2010 6:05 AM

Hi Lana,  Etsy has been profitable for me.  I really started working with my page in Feb....took several weeks for me to get all my inventory up and priced.  But, it was well worth the effort.  If I hadn't taken the time to do this I would not have had 16 sells.  I make so much more on Etsy than through a gallery.  I think Etsy is wonderful and easy to use.  I would say, set up your page and then slowly start tweaking it to get it where you want it.  The sells tax is now easy, you pick the state you want to charge tax in and click on it.......then when the customer buys something from that state, the sells tax is added when the sell is calculated.  If I had not had my Etsy site, my sells would have ended when my gallery show closed in Jan......I have had sells every month.  I am also around if you have any questions......Peggy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 79
Lana Book wrote
on 6 Sep 2010 8:56 AM

Thanks Peggy. I need to do something to sell some of my pieces and would like to earn some money with my fiber art. Have you heard about artfire.com? I read about this site in the latest issue of Woman's Day magazine. It is similar to Etsy. Maybe I will get motivated to get going with this venture. Your encouragment helps. Thanks again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 6 Sep 2010 12:42 PM

Hi Lana,  I can understand being hesitate in jumping into Etsy or Artfire.....it is a large project especially if you have a big inventory.  I found my inventory growing here at the house and really needed to move some of the quilts.  Etsy provided me the opportunity to do so.  I have heard of Artfire....but, am happy with Etsy so will stay with Etsy.  I do have to say that I ran a tally of my quilt sales for the year and I am over $10,000.....and the year is not over.  For me, this will be my best year.  It is not enough to live on, but it sure is nice having "fun" money as my husband calls it.  Let me know if you need any help with Etsy.  Peggy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Janice PD wrote
on 7 Sep 2010 5:21 PM

Peggy, please give us your Etsy name or a link for your site. thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 8 Sep 2010 3:48 AM

Hi Janice,  The link is www.northernskyquilts.etsy.com  Have a great day.  Peggy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 8 Sep 2010 6:07 AM

Thanks Peggy. I was curious as to what designs you were selling. You say these are licensed Ryan and Crawford quilts. By that do you mean you are paying a fee to sell their copyrighted designs? How did you get the license.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 8 Sep 2010 6:16 AM

Hi Janice, Yes, they are licensed designs.  I have a license agreement with 3 different designers and I provide quarterly reports, and pay a 10% commission fee on any quilt that I sell that is their design.  I have been with McKenna Ryan for 7 years now....And I got my license from all the designers by asking them if I could make and market their designs.    All the quilts are labeled with the information on the back that they are licensed designs....and my customers have no problem buying the quilts either if they are not my designs. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 8 Sep 2010 6:18 AM

Meant to say, my customers have no problem buying the quilts even if they are not my designs.  My customers are just thrilled to be able to buy them.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS