Pet-ty Journal portraits

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
RuthB@14 wrote
on 11 Sep 2010 8:50 PM

I'm going to apologize right now as I don't think I'm probably posting this question in the proper place, but I'm new to this and just thought I'd jump into the "general" category. 

I watched the QA show this a.m. and the project about "Pet-ty" Journal Portraits.  Then I eagerly downloaded the instructions from the website.  However, on the TV program, they seemed to use a specific type of paper to print the pet picture on, which was then sewn and ultimately dipped in water.  Could someone please tell me what type of paper was used?  The instructions from your website talk about Thermofax and screen printing, which seems much more complicated than how it was done on the TV program today.  Any information would be appreciated - I really want do this project!!

Thanks so much!

Ruth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 12 Sep 2010 11:53 AM

Ruth-

I split this off from the thread you posted under to it's own topic, so this was not in the middle of another discussion.

What episode number are you talking about and do you know who the teacher of that TV segment was?  That will help in trying to track down what product they used.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on 13 Sep 2010 9:44 AM

Hi Ruth,

Pokey has done two different projects featuring portraits of her dogs.  One in Series 200 (project number 202-4) the other in Series 600 (project 609-1).

The one in Series 200 Pokey started with a digital picture and printed the picture on ink jet fabric sheets.  The other (project 609-1) she used a thermofax machine to make the stencil - you could also make your own stencil as well.

I will watch the Series 600 episode again (it has been a few months since I saw it last) and respond with more detail.

Enjoy your day.

Sally 

Sally Murray
Interweave - Quilt/Paper Group
Sudbury Office Manager

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on 13 Sep 2010 1:06 PM

HI Ruth,

I just watched this episode again (what a great project!) and found that starting with step 5 the directions on quiltingartstv.com give you another option other than what was on the TV show to complete the project.  I will see that this is corrected, I will need a day or so to get the new directions on the website.  In the meantime, here is a  "rough" version of how to complete the project.
After you finish stitching down the background, the next step is to go to your computer and print a picture of your pet on Sulky® Paper Solvy.  Stitch right on top of the paper the outline and details of your pet.  Once you are done, you can give the piece a "bath" and the paper will desolve.

I hope this helps.   I will post in this forum when the "official" directions are revised.

Thanks!
Sally

Sally Murray
Sudbury Office Manager

Not Ranked
Posts 4
RuthB@14 wrote
on 13 Sep 2010 7:27 PM

Sally -

You are awesome! That is exactly what I needed to know!!  It seemed so simple on the TV program and I was a bit disappointed with the instructions on line telling me I needed to do a stencil or screen print!  Thanks so much for clearing this up for me. I'm now on my way to order some Sulky Paper Solvy and get going on a little project featuring my Yorkie, Cosmo!

I love your magazine, TV program, and all the ideas and projects you provide for us viewers!

Thanks again.

Ruth

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on 23 Sep 2010 2:57 PM

The new "Official" directions are now up on the website.  It is a fun Project! 

Enjoy.

Sally

Sally Murray
Sudbury Office Manager

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cabar wrote
on 5 Jul 2013 9:55 AM

This episode used a photo of a dog which she somehow transferred to a prepared, fabric- backed quilt block which wasn't backed yet but had batting .  Then she used machine threading to outline the dog onto the fabric.  thanks for your help.  carol

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS