Lyrical Art Quilt

This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
marlin2 wrote
on 8 Jan 2011 7:35 AM

Hello Quilting Arts Members,

I have been researching the lyrics of some of my favorite songs to use in an art piece.  I have not seen any pieces like what is in my head.  Has anyone done an art piece based on a favorite song?  If so, are there any copyright laws I should be aware of if I want to put the piece in a show?

Thanks and love reading all your posts!  Have a great creative day!

Marlin Williams - Miami, FL

Not Ranked
Posts 2
artquilts4me wrote
on 10 Jan 2011 6:56 AM

One way of finding out is to look on line, do a search

We did one at our guild, but there was never enough pictures or things on the quilts to violate copyright laws.  Hope this helps.  RoseMary

Not Ranked
Posts 5
marlin2 wrote
on 10 Jan 2011 9:05 AM

Hi Rose Mary,

Thank you so much.  I think in some of my work I may use lines or phrases of the song.  Otherwise just a pictorial imagery of the song.  Just don't want anyone getting mad at me if you know what I mean.  Thanks again,

Marlin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 10 Jan 2011 11:10 AM

The actual lyrics and song title will be copyrighted by the song author and if you plan to use this quilt in competition, you will need their express permission to use that on your quilt. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
nor easter wrote
on 12 Jan 2011 11:55 AM

I think you'll probably need permission for any use that's considered 'published'...which includes any public showing...in print, on exhibit, on the internet, anywhere, not just in competion.  Check with the musical equivalent of publisher; if they don't hold the rights, they know who does.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
muyenp wrote
on 3 Mar 2011 11:56 PM

i have never thought about using song lyrics as designs. That's a very clever idea, thanks for the idea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
marlin2 wrote
on 4 Mar 2011 5:15 AM

Good Morning,  I think I am going attempt Diamonds on the Floor.  I will not use any of the words in the song but I want to reflect the image in my head with those words.  It certainly sounds fun anyway!  It would be fun to do it as group work too don't you think?  OK anyone else interested in doing a lyrical piece?  We could set parameters with a due date.  Maybe post our pieces on line here to share.  Just a thought.  Thank you all for sharing :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 429
on 4 Mar 2011 8:18 AM

What a great idea! Please share your work once it is done!

Lindsey Murray

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 4 Mar 2011 9:22 AM

Hey Marlin,

We could do that as one of our monthly challenges!  Perhaps in May, as the April challenge is almost ready to launch.  Look next week for our Forum Challenge in the General Discussion forum!

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS