Autumn View - Comments Welcome

This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 23 Mar 2011 12:38 PM | Locked

I am in the final stage’s (I believe I’m in the final stage’s) of my first landscape quilt. My inspiration was an Autumn Birch tree photo that I found on-line. I have attached a picture and was wondering IF you would be kind enough as to give me your feedback. Have I completely missed the mark, am I getting the concept but need to focus on one area or another, etc.?

I am so bitten by this tremendously creative Quilt Art work, and cannot wait to continue down the path of learning, experimenting and advancing in my craft as a Landscape Quilt Artist.

Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
alienquilt wrote
on 25 Mar 2011 10:13 AM

Congratulations on taking the first step! Please take my comments with a grain of salt because I've only THOUGHT about making an art quilt whereas you are an active artist. I really like the overall composition, the foreground textures and colors but the barn and field seem not quite complete, a little flatter though I understand that is partly to give the impression of distance - is that something about the way the photo was taken? I'm sure it will be beautiful, keep on growing!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 25 Mar 2011 11:03 AM

Thank you so very much for responding! Exactly the kind of feedback that I am looking for, I will take a very hard look at the area of your comments. Thank you again!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 26 Mar 2011 10:06 AM

I think you have done a great job with your first landscape art quilt!

I can't tell from the photo if you have threadpainted or quilted it yet. If you haven't ether or both will help give you more depth. 

Another thing that I have found helpful in giving that finial polish, to tell me it's done, is a touch of transparent fabric paint to give me richer shadows. A marker will also work. Of course I am addicted to fabric painting :).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 27 Mar 2011 8:27 AM

Congratulations on your first effort.   First Question: does it make you happy?  If so, then it is successful.

2nd Question:  Are you looking for ways to make it more artistically correct?  If so, I would suggest you do a little reading on rules of perspective and  focal points, scale/proportion.   It all depends on your end goal.  If an abstract, it is O.K. to break the rules sometimes.  If your goal is a kind of photo reality, then the rules become more important.  Don't get bogged down in the rules, just use them as guidelines.  For example, the lines that appear to be crop rows appear to all begin at the front of the picture as the focal point and radiate outwards as they disappear on the horizon line.    If you observe real lines, they would seem  to merge at the background focal point and disappear over the horizon.  Small touches like this can really enhance the quality of your work.   Keep on practicing and observing things around you and you will get where you want to go.     

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 27 Mar 2011 3:31 PM

Two things:

When a person is using a photo reference it helps to see the reference before giving a critiique. The reason I say this is, all too often the artist is actually following the 'reality' of the photo but ends up being evaluated based upon 'art rules.'  What this means is, it's hard to give the 'true' evaluation.

Knowing the above and just taking the piece as it is-- I have to ask, where do you want the emphasis to be in this work? The foreground or 'Inside' what the foreground is framing. Because right now the values (dark/ligt) all seem too close to give a noticable and punched up difference. Use value contrast to create the planes of distance. This is where liberty must be taken with photo refs sometimes for the sake of making something look right in an art piece.

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 28 Mar 2011 7:38 AM

Hmmm, great ideas! I will weigh them into the overall effort!! Thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 28 Mar 2011 7:41 AM

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I love this art outlet, am bitten!

You make very valid points, I think it took me a little bit to see it more clearly and realize that the field area does not carry the dimension it possibly should, I will consider this along with all of these terrfific responses.

Thank you so much!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 28 Mar 2011 7:44 AM

My inspiration photo (attached) was a reference, not one I was trying to duplicate.

Wonderful comments, thank you!

I will certainly, bring all of these comments into play as I work through the remainder of the project. Thank you!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 28 Mar 2011 8:00 PM

AAaaaahhhh! this is a beautiful example of exactly the point I was trying to make! Notice how your eye wants to go right to the light? Through the branches? Now imagine if you could take a little piece of thaaat light yellow cloth, and lay it beside some of the cloth down at the bottom in the immediate foreground--- you would have LIGHT LIGHT and DARK DARK--- there is dramatic contrast here that gives 'punch' 'planes of distance' and 'a place to focus.' Or as artist call it -- the COI-- which stands for "Center of Interest."

Your piece can still be 'punched up'--- just let it talk to you. Looking at really good paintings is a good way to get a handle on art concepts too!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 224
ckquilter wrote
on 29 Mar 2011 3:27 AM

a good start. but i have some problems with it. for starters, the whole thing is about the same value - the field is lighter, but then the

barn gets back to medium. everything else is medium value. the foreground, trees and barn all have the same value. where is the

focal point??the trees are very heavy, with huge leaves. seems like they are. but then the barn , although being much further away,

has the same value. so is it of equal importance???   and then the foreground has the same value again. so maybe it is?

shouldn't there be shade under the trees?? that would be darker. and there would then be more contrast between the trees and the

ground.    that would give the trees more importance.   but they have an awfully heavy feel to them. huge, thick trunks. huge leaves.

no branches?? no sky showing throuh the leaves.

you have done some dimension, by putting trees in front of the barn . but the foreground is all one layer. the tree trunks are all one layer

how about moving one or 2 of the trees closer; dropping the base of the trunk into the foreground, and thus tying things together more.

if the trees are the focus - maybe the barn should be lighter - and maybe even smaller.

also, remember this is a critique (analysis) not criticism - but right now, it is kind of a boring picture. you need some darks, and a

clearer vision. so that we can see the story you are trying to tell.

please, please don't be offended by the analysis. it is just one persons opinion. and do keep doing more. you will learn every time.

and they will get better all the time. ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CindiAnnS wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 9:34 AM

Wow!!! Great perspective, a lot to think about. Thank you. Remember I asked for the feedback, so no I am NOT offended, I can't learn and get good, or better at this if I don't learn. And since I'm learing more or less OTJ, I need feedback.. So no I thank you for you input. Very helpful.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 224
ckquilter wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 5:36 PM

wonderful attitude!!

i have learned that some people just want a pat on the back, and to feel good about what they have done - and there is nothing

wrong with that.

but i have also learned that that is not what helps me to become a better quilter and artist. i much prefer someone to really look at

a work, and provide an analysis - what is good, and what could be improved. a critique. not a criticism. but a learning experience.

i do an analysis every time i finish a project.  i also do it at quilt shows or any art venue.  when i see something i like, i try and figure

out why it appeals.  and if i find something i don't care for, i do the same thing.

i also have many beginning and less confident quilt friends. and i still will make constructive criticism about a project, if i feel it

can be helpful in their future work. but i always try and do it in a gentle manner. i never want to squash someone's creative endeavors.

because i love seeing new , unique, creative work. MUCH more fun than just seeing something copied from a commercial pattern.

i am always thrilled when a friend produces something original - of her own concept and design. because i know how fun,

empowering, and creative it is.    

always remember - YOU have something unique to share with this world. and it is that vision which is most interesting.

i always love art that has meaning - tells a story, or rewards the viewer for looking more closely. i try and use fabrics that enhance

the concept. and further the idea with the quilting designs.  even an abstract design should have an idea/concept/vision behind it.

so, what is the idea behind the trees/barn? why are they important/meaningful to you? and what could you do to the landscape to

show us that?? is one of them more important than the other? how could you show that?  just as an idea - how about a quilt block

painted on the barn?? there are some places where that is becoming popular.

what kind of trees are you depicting? if they are birch - when i think of birch, i love the white bark, and the airy,fluttery look of the leaves -

which shimmy in the slightest breeze. with the top and underside of the leaf being different colors. and they do not have heavy trunks.

they can also have wonderful yellow leaves in the fall. maybe some dimensional leaves on top of the others - to move in the breeze??

if a different kind of tree - what about the tree is important to you. depict the feelings it evokes in you - and show us that.

you have a great start. keep learning.  keep going!!                                  ckquilter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 6 Apr 2011 12:42 PM

I tend to agree with hpthecat about values. See some of this bright yellow would already make a difference in your quilt as well as the use of some darker brown too in the foreground.

Still it is a great quilt for a 1st, quilting to me is a constant learning process, you will only get better at it so enjoy every moment of it and thank you for sharing with us.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 16 May 2011 12:12 AM

These works are beautiful. I can see, you bring much experience to sharing your thoughts.

Fiber Arts Northwest? Would that be the new fiber arts company in Olympia, Wa?? It doesn't look like they have a website yet.

Maybe it's that LLC in Portland?? couldn't find a website for it either.

I am a Northwest gal myself....perhaps we will run into each other at the Association of Pacific West Quilters art quilt show over in Tacoma in August.

.......oh, and what a coincidence....the other ckquilter of the abandoned blog....is just down in Portland, Or.....small world.....

there are some other ck's out there too...one is a photographer storm chaser/journalist, and wouldn't you guess...she makes quilts of her photos....

small world indeed...

btw, I have noticed that for some reason...Quilting Arts "cleans out" older threads. I wonder why they do that when more people who can learn from them are still yet to come....it kind of makes the forum ...get a little bare at times....

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS