Painting polyethylene foam wrap

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on 8 Jun 2011 7:21 PM

Trying to figure out the least expensive way to paint a LOT of polyethylene foam wrap.  It is the thin plastic foam usually used to wrap dishes and glasses when moving.  I need to paint it to create fur and feathers for animals on a parade float.  Any brilliant ideas?  I'm getting ready to experiment but I thought I would see if anyone else had already done something like this. 

Thanks!

Lisa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
csmucker wrote
on 10 Jun 2011 9:59 PM

Lisa, I think I would try to use a foam roller or a large, short-nap roller with acrylic paint. Get some latex house paint and tint it with the colors you need as you go. That should be more cost effective than craft paints.  I'd paint the background first, using two or three colors on the roller at the same time, so it's not just a solid. Then perhaps come back in with a dry brush (very little paint) for the fur texture, and maybe try the chiseled edge of a sponge brush for feather lines.  You might also cut some "stamps" from sponges to make feathers and then you could add detail lines around them.  Be sure too, to use larger patterns, as the viewers will be seeing this from a longer distance.  Otherwise, it will look blurry and you won't see the details.  Good luck and have fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on 10 Jun 2011 10:52 PM

csmucker:
Lisa, I think I would try to use a foam roller or a large, short-nap roller with acrylic paint. Get some latex house paint and tint it with the colors you need as you go. That should be more cost effective than craft paints.  I'd paint the background first, using two or three colors on the roller at the same time, so it's not just a solid. Then perhaps come back in with a dry brush (very little paint) for the fur texture, and maybe try the chiseled edge of a sponge brush for feather lines.  You might also cut some "stamps" from sponges to make feathers and then you could add detail lines around them.  Be sure too, to use larger patterns, as the viewers will be seeing this from a longer distance.  Otherwise, it will look blurry and you won't see the details.  Good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much!  That is exactly the information I need!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on 10 Jun 2011 10:53 PM

Thank you!!!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS