Mesa Canyons - Feedback needed

This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 912
Muppin wrote
on 6 Feb 2012 12:53 PM

Jen-

It's really great!  I love the blue colors with that golden yellow.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 277
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 6 Feb 2012 2:35 PM

I have really enjoyed watching your Mesa Canyons evolve. The piece looks so much richer now and I like that you have covered up/blended in the white "waves".

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 4 Nov 2014 1:48 PM

Love the finished results. Reads well

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 97
RUEdOAK wrote
on 6 Nov 2014 12:44 PM

Donna, thank you so much for your comment. Since this was first posted, Mesa Canyons was published in one of the quilting magazines. it is not the usual, so I was really pleased! Thanks again for taking a look here in this forum.

Jen

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on 9 Dec 2014 10:27 AM

This is a most interesting piece. The way I see it the sun is the focal point in this piece as it is what is most "readable". It also starts right in one of the four natural focal points, the rule of thirds. I am assuming that wooden looking pieces are supposed to be the cliffs, but they appear to me to stacked above each other like blocks. I would leave the one that is supposed to be in the foreground plain, but the next one back a bit darker, and the last one the darkest of all to help push it into the back and give them depth. That would also help define the cliffs some more. If you have some colored pencils or something like that you should be able to achieve the desired affect with those, Next time you could use even some watercolor paints before applying to quilt.

I would also add a bit of definition to the cliff in the foreground the most like you would a regular painting to help bring it forward more and give it more focus. You could even use a small paintbrush and a super strong bit of tea as your "paint" for this so it's made it look more organic, you could also use the "tea paint" for the middle piece of wood and a coffee one for the back cliff. 

Also, if you can add any impression of "shading" to the blue green stuffs near the last cliff to help make it a bit darker it would help to define the piece more and make it more readable. 

I hope this helps. Very lovely, well put together piece.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on 9 Dec 2014 10:34 AM

I posted my reply when looking at the orginal picture. I love the additions and subtractions you made based on previous comments, but the wooden pieces still look a bit unreadable, i believe they are supposed to be the cliffs but i'm not sure.

Just had thought with them too, you can use some charcoal, rub it against a super fine sandpaper or a rough piece of paper to get that powdery residue, usea small brush for greater  control and use that to make the added details on the first wooden piece, and a few general details on the second one but more of a half shading half untouched wood, and then for the last one the exact opposite of the first where you leave a few areas untouched to show where the sun touches the cliff or just a light shading overall to give the cliffs better depth. 

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS