New Summer Studios Cover Revealed

This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 29 Apr 2009 6:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

We just released the cover of the Summer issue of Studios that's all about taking your studio on the road, as well as 20 studios to look at, drool over, and glean practical tips from. What do you think of the cover image?

It will be on newsstands June 2, but you can pre-order it now here.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Laurie118 wrote
on 1 May 2009 1:19 PM

I love this magazine! I love everything about it and can't wait for it to appear in my local Joann store!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 1 May 2009 2:50 PM

I also love the magazine.  I have picked up other publisher's studio magazines, and it looked more like a glorified advertising for businesses.   There was little to no discussion about the spaces themselves; rather it was more biographical in nature.  Not that the work places weren't wonderful, but yours actually gives us ideas for our own use.  And you combine the biographies with the hints for organizing our own work spaces.  I have read my Spring/Summer issue more than once. 

I look forward to the new issue.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 3 May 2009 1:35 PM

I finally purchased my 1st Studios issue (Spring/Summer 09) and am as happily inspired by it as by all of the Interweave publications I've gotten my hands on! And inspiration is needed as my typical work/play turns almost the entire house into my studio which makes cleanup sort of a challenge. So thanks muchly for the great ideas for storage and spaces!   Krys

krys

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 3 May 2009 5:36 PM

Love the cover. I am a huge gardener and this reminds me so much of the gardening magazines I see on the stands. Maybe it will entice some of this demographic to pick up the magazine and turn them toward mixed media/art quilting!

Jody

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 3 May 2009 5:46 PM

too true; most of my quilt and art friends are gardeners of one sort of another so it's a good match. And I was just out participating in The Great Dandelion Hunt and using one of those bedding plant "flats" to put them in when it hit me what a wonderful stackable sorting tray it would make for projects. Already a fan of hardware stores, it looks as though garden centers could be a good source!

krys

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 4 May 2009 7:22 PM

That would be great, Jody. We'd also love to see more garden/gardeningoutdoor-inspired artwork in Cloth Paper Scissors and Studios.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 4 May 2009 7:24 PM

I love the stackable sorting tray idea, Krys. Why don't you take a picture and post it here or on the Studios Pix page in our gallery? Keep those garden center storage ideas coming!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 5 May 2009 3:06 PM

Krys, I never even considered using those trays to sort and store projects. What a great idea! I too love combing the hardware store for storage ideas and things to use in quilt making.

Jody

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jean Bragan wrote
on 5 May 2009 3:27 PM

I love looking through these magazines....I really have used them to develop my own studio! (White Mermaid Quilts)---I noticed that another magazine is coming out with a new line of magazines devoted to studios as well!  Quilting Arts is the cutting edge!  I wonder if there would be a way to do studios in certain regions of the country.  For example, do studios in New English look, feel, etc. different from studios in say the Southwest? 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 6 May 2009 6:21 AM

Hi Jean,

Now that Studios is quarterly, we're giving each issue something of a seasonal theme. But I like the idea of the regional theme. What other ideas do people have for themes?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 8 May 2009 9:59 AM

Ok, with a bit of a delay-I get sidetracked so easily- to see if these flat trays would work I sampled it using household-type stuff, one tray for shopping and one for Garden Club papers (notice small meat tray ordinarily used for fabric painting now temporarily holding plant markers). Looks good, and thread spools fit perfectly, too, so it's off to the carwash to get them clean, maybe grab some paint and figure out a labeling system. Kudos to Jody for starting the idea!  K 

krys

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 12 May 2009 6:37 PM

Great idea! Each one is perfect for making a project portable. I have a bunch of the flat trays out in the garage and I always wash and save the foam meat and veggie trays. I especially like the size and shape (and color) of the mushroom trays. Won't my husband be happy to see me actually using them!

By the way, Krys, what are those wonderful art squares off to the sides of the trays? They look intriguing!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 28 May 2009 5:49 PM

Hi, Cate: sorry I'm just getting back to this thread to answer your question - the art squares are my response to the QA "green art" challenge and my avatar is the latest one, completed just a month ago. I call the series "Garbage Art" because it's items picked up in the street on my walks to & from work, dryer lint, vegetable mesh bags, assorted threads that end up on the floor from sewing projects and just anything that takes my eye, including the pieces of toys that keep surfacing in my yard from it's years of hosting children at play. The first one done for the challenge (it's 6" x 5") was too large for the challenge guidelines and I didn't have the heart to cut it down. And in the second one, the wine foil actually had a tiny Paul Masson logo in it (although I covered it for the photo, I uncovered it later)...after that I gave up on participating in the challenge and just started making little art pieces every so often.   -Krys

krys

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 28 May 2009 7:58 PM

Krys- your ideas are GREAT and I ove your "go green" challenges...  I also did some, but mine had product names in the work, and I didn't submit them for the same reason!

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS